P500 Torque wrench recommendation

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Fairly new P5 owner so I’m looking to get some affordable recommendations on a torque wrench for use in changing wheels/tires, changing oil/oil filter, and other various things that may come up requiring a specific torque as to not strip bolts. I’m guessing I will need 2 wrenches due to the range of torque needed on larger bolts to smaller bolts. Wanting to stay under $50. Are the ones at harbor freight any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Recomend NOT using one for the oil filter cover. Too many people stripping bolts. Learn how to feel it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

That makes sense, I remember stripping out twice on my old foreman’s oil filter cover and ended up getting a 1/4” drive socket wrench for it, minimized the leverage you could get. Guess I’ll have to try and find where I put it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sears has an inch/lb torque wrench for about $50, I bought it for torquing my beadlocks down. To convert Inch/lbs to foot/lbs just divide by 12. Just like converting inches to feet.

Harbor freight may be good for a few things but when accuracy matters I wouldn't trust them.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use a HF inch pound wrench.
It's not something I would normally trust to HF, but some years ago, some car mag (car craft maybe?) tested several torque wrenches for accuracy, and the HF models actually performed very well. I figured they were good enough.

My 1/2 one for wheels, etc is a Craftsman I've had for years. Recently had the snap on guy test it for accuracy, and surprisingly, it was still really close.

That's the thing...they do need to be calibrated if you use them (or abuse them) a lot.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a HF inch pound wrench.
It's not something I would normally trust to HF, but some years ago, some car mag (car craft maybe?) tested several torque wrenches for accuracy, and the HF models actually out performed some big names. I figured if they could do that, they were good enough.

My 1/2 one for wheels, etc is a Craftsman I've had for years. Recently had the snap on guy test it for accuracy, and surprisingly, it was still really close.

That's the thing...they do need to be calibrated if you use them (or abuse them) a lot.

Never would’ve guessed they were any good. Might’ve considered an inch lb one as much as it gets used.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
The in-lb one at harbor freight actually has some good reviews, some even written by fairly mechanically inclined folks. Might give that one a shot for the smaller bolts. As for wheel lug nuts, how critical is it to torque to the factory recommended 98 ft lbs? I’ve seen mixed opinions up here where some say do it, some say that’s too much, and some say just do it by feel until they’re nice and tight..

Last edited:
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 3/8 drive from Harbor freight...ive checked it against my snap on and it has been spot on.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The really important part is that you back it off when not in use (usually the minimum setting). Keeping it set at a higher torque causes them to loose accuracy quickly, though I believe there are some designs that aren't affected by this.

Reactions: GlockMeister
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Twangin You are going to need to open up your wallet a bit more to get a decent repeatable torque wrench.
At the bare minimum, I would recommend these 2 to cover 95% of the repairs on your machine.
CDI Torque 1501MRMH Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrenches

CDI Torque 1002MFRMH Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrenches

Lug nuts, axles nuts etc are served well by the Harbor freight stuff.
I have 5 different torque wrenches in my garage.
CDI and PI are big names in the torque industry. They just happen to be owned by Snap-on. They pretty much rebadge for all the big tool companies. Only difference between the 2 I posted and their Snap-on counterparts are the heads. The Snap on will have either 72 or 80 teeth. These are less. Not enough of an upgrade to be worth 2-3 times the price.

Reactions: JWB
C

Chooglin

I agree with @trigger :)

Torque wrench you mean my arms

C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
Have several torque wrenches. The HF are honestly hard to beat. Also correct in regards to keeping them stored at 0. There's a place for torque wrenches but I only use them where I think is necessary. Mainly engine components. The beam style is probably the best for staying accurate but the click style are far easier to use.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Fairly new P5 owner so I’m looking to get some affordable recommendations on a torque wrench for use in changing wheels/tires, changing oil/oil filter, and other various things that may come up requiring a specific torque as to not strip bolts. I’m guessing I will need 2 wrenches due to the range of torque needed on larger bolts to smaller bolts. Wanting to stay under $50. Are the ones at harbor freight any good?

Wheels Lug nuts 98 lbs
Oil drain plug 18 lbs
Front final drive plug 9 lbs
rear final drive 9 lbs.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm hesitant to get involved in this one....but, I work on Honda outboards, and I can tell you that some of the torque-specs are a bit sketchy for the smaller fasteners- anything that uses a 10mm, or 12mm wrench with the actual thread diameter comparable to 1/4 or 5/16 bolts. I've had them strip, or break using Honda's specs, (with me wincing in advance, just knowing the bloody fastener was about to break..)so like the other guys said, it's a 'feel' thing. Don't know if it's the same for the power-sports side, but I can tell you, if you put 9 lbs, or even 7 in some cases, on a normal 10mm (socket size) bolt, it's not going to do it more than a couple times without breaking, or distorting something- particularly in aluminum. I can say without hesitation for instance, the torque spec for the skid plate bolts is just plain too high. If you're concerned that a fastener that has to be removed and installed many times may come loose, put some medium, or low strength lok-tite on the threads. I mention the skid plates because I've had mine off so many times... Just avoid over-tightening fasteners as much as possible!
On the other hand, there are some who shouldn't be allowed near a bolt without a torque-wrench. If you know you're one of those people, get at least, a good inch-pound wrench for the small fasteners, and learn how to use it!

Reactions: Twangin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!