100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here begins the planning for the journey to "totality". A total solar eclipse occurs when the Moon's apparent diameter is larger than the Sun's, blocking all direct sunlight, turning day into darkness. Totality occurs in a narrow path across Earth's surface. On August 21, 2017, we have the opportunity to experience totality. I'm planning on meeting friends near Stanley Idaho At Deadwood Reservoir during this rare event. It would seem like a good time to gather together for folks to experience this phenomenon. Where will you go to see such darkness?

Whole us Fullsizeoutput a4d Stanley

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another angle to keep in mind is what are the chances of there being weather that will prevent observing it. There are no guarantees, of course, but there are historical data for all the locations as to whether it is LIKELY to be clear or cloudy during a particular month. Here's a good site:

Total Solar Eclipse – 2017 August 21 | Eclipsophile

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glendo State Park in WY is right under the centerline of totality. The Wikipedia entry for this park includes the following:

On Monday, 21 August 2017, a total solar eclipse will be seen in North America, with the center of the moon's shadow (the maximum occurrence of the solar eclipse) to pass directly over Glendo State Park. At Glendo State Park, the midpoint of totality of the eclipse will occur at 17:46 UTC (local time: 11:46 a.m. MDT), with totality lasting for 2 minutes 28 seconds at this location.

By driving distance, Glendo State Park is the closest midpoint eclipse site for the major cities of Colorado. The park is adjacent to Interstate 25 and is approximately 200 miles (325 km) driving distance from the Denver metropolitan area. On the eclipse date and the weekend prior to the event the Glendo area is expected to be very congested with traffic and
visitors.

Lets face it, this is gonna be a BFD, and attract a ton of people to all the usual suspects . . .

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Google Map for the Totality

USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

Location of longest duration
37° 34′ 04.3″ N
89° 06′ 10.0″ W
239 m
2 min 41.6 sec
(ΔT=68.8s, DE405, Kaguya/LRO lunar limb profile)

Located in Illinois, and not to be confused with the point of greatest eclipse located in Kentucky.

This location has the longest eclipse duration when the irregularities of the moon’s limb (due to mountains and valleys) are taken into account. Finally, the point of longest duration is not the same as the point of greatest eclipse.

Reactions: JTW
J

Jshell3

Here begins the planning for the journey to "totality". A total solar eclipse occurs when the Moon's apparent diameter is larger than the Sun's, blocking all direct sunlight, turning day into darkness. Totality occurs in a narrow path across Earth's surface. On August 21, 2017, we have the opportunity to experience totality. I'm planning on meeting friends near Stanley Idaho At Deadwood Reservoir during this rare event. It would seem like a good time to gather together for folks to experience this phenomenon. Where will you go to see such darkness?

View attachment 42511 View attachment 42512 View attachment 42513
I'm liking this thread.
:):)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'll miss it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
My parents and brother live by John Day Oregon which has a population of approx 1700. The town is expecting 10,000 to 50,000 people to show up. Sounds like its gonna be a zoo!! Are alot of people expected in your area @JTW ?

J

JTW

My parents and brother live by John Day Oregon which has a population of approx 1700. The town is expecting 10,000 to 50,000 people to show up. Sounds like its gonna be a zoo!! Are alot of people expected in your area @JTW ?
I dunno?? We're watching at a friends farm who's having a cookout about an hour from the house..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!