BOX1

P1000 Towing Question

O

Oegbert

Oct 14, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get about 18 mpg towing. All of my trips so far have been scouting for an elk hunt I just had last week. So uphill going and downhill coming home. I get a little over 25 mpg driving overall. I have had the truck for about a year and a half and love it. Here is a picture of the trailer loaded when I bought it.
20190515 154341

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get about 18 mpg towing. All of my trips so far have been scouting for an elk hunt I just had last week. So uphill going and downhill coming home. I get a little over 25 mpg driving overall. I have had the truck for about a year and a half and love it. Here is a picture of the trailer loaded when I bought it.
View attachment 170126
Ok thanx. Good luck on ur hunt!

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I've tried loading my P1K5 forward and backward on my trailer. I have a 12' AME single axle. I "feel" like loading it facing forward puts most of the weight on the trailer axle with some tongue weight. I installed a frame mounted tow hitch on my Buick Enclave (don't laugh, it's the largest vehicle I have at this time) and it pulls without wagging. My question is, who straps their machine down per the Honda manual? Honda wants the machine strapped down using the bumpers as to not cause damage or void warranty. Honda also recommends strapping the front bumper forward and rear bumper rearward. I've watched a lot of video that show the machine should be strapped using the tire/wheel or the frame/undercarriage and front to rear and rear to front. I have been securing mine based on Honda's directions, and it seems to work, but I do have to tighten the straps periodically as they slide on the bumper and become loose.

O

Oegbert

Oct 14, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still strap mine down like in the picture above. However I don't go over the front of the trailer like in the picture. I had to pull it completely forward to make everything fit when I took it home. I hook into the tow hitch at the back on both corners. I welded on a couple D rings at the back to match the ones in front. I need to find better straps but it holds well. I tried hooking to the frame and every time I did I had to stop at least once to re secure it.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you look at the picture I posted I strap mine to the wheels. I guess I've been tying bikes to trailers for over 40 years and have always tied them using the unsprung weight (wheels, frame, anywhere below shocks/spings)of the machine. Its worked great for me.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!