BOX1

Traded Rubicon for pioneer 500

E

Ejorso

Jan 21, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Well actually I sold my Rubicon and bought a pioneer 500. Best purchase ever. I have almost 90 miles on it and I am coming up to the first service. I have had one problem but it was the dealer not Honda.

The dealer did not adjust my clutch correctly and would barley shift into 2nd if at all. After using the forums I adjusted it myself. One thing I learned is that, do the adjustment in manual not auto. Auto seems to shift harder than manual.

If you want to run behind ATVs on trails then go for it. Leave the other SxS behind. We squirrel hinted the last weekend following dogs through the woods with no issues.

If you want bigger tires go with a 4+3 rim instead of the stock 5+2. They do stick out more but you don't have to buy spacers, which would stick out. I am running ITP mud lite XTRs 27s with no rubbing. They measure bigger that 27"s.

Just thought I would share my experience with my new bike.

Final comment. I would/will buy this machine again.

Hope this helps someone.

I built the roof and dump bed. D0710ef9fd7e007f5838073f9faf42f0D8362c2296839d88d239fecf68a6c95a237069b6dbe9da050f9abd36476876aa

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well actually I sold my Rubicon and bought a pioneer 500. Best purchase ever. I have almost 90 miles on it and I am coming up to the first service. I have had one problem but it was the dealer not Honda.

The dealer did not adjust my clutch correctly and would barley shift into 2nd if at all. After using the forums I adjusted it myself. One thing I learned is that, do the adjustment in manual not auto. Auto seems to shift harder than manual.

If you want to run behind ATVs on trails then go for it. Leave the other SxS behind. We squirrel hinted the last weekend following dogs through the woods with no issues.

If you want bigger tires go with a 4+3 rim instead of the stock 5+2. They do stick out more but you don't have to buy spacers, which would stick out. I am running ITP mud lite XTRs 27s with no rubbing. They measure bigger that 27"s.

Hope this helps someone.

I built the roof and dump bed. View attachment 67262View attachment 67263View attachment 67264

I believe you are doing exactly what this machine was designed for. Glad you like it.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Let the adventures begin!

Great swap out!

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

View attachment 67262View attachment 67263View attachment 67264

Clutch being out of adjustment is a factory issue, as Honda is the one that basically puts the machine together. When they come in off the truck, there isn't alot left to assemble; skid plates, roll cage, safety nets, seat belts, head rests, battery box cover, and check/top off the fluids.
The unit is supposed to be test driven to check it out after set up, but many times that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
E

Ejorso

Jan 21, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Clutch being out of adjustment is a factory issue, as Honda is the one that basically puts the machine together. When they come in off the truck, there isn't alot left to assemble; skid plates, roll cage, safety nets, seat belts, head rests, battery box cover, and check/top off the fluids.
The unit is supposed to be test driven to check it out after set up, but many times that doesn't happen.
Great to know thanks. Guess the dealer really dropped the ball but it did have 0 miles on the odometer and trip meter when I picked it up. My riding buddy. 70ef8409082670f6349a11d0fcc99f0d

coyote666

coyote666

Mar 9, 2018
wyoming
Ownership

1. 500

Hope this helps someone.

I built the roof and dump bed. View attachment 67262View attachment 67263View attachment 67264

How does the Pioneer do compared to the Jeep on rough trails? I've been thinking about getting a Pioneer 500 to replace a Jeep so I could go on width restricted trails and so I could put tracks on and use it in the snow, but I am concerned that it won't go everywhere a jeep could. Especially on trails with large boulders. Any experience with that kind of stuff?

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
How does the Pioneer do compared to the Jeep on rough trails? I've been thinking about getting a Pioneer 500 to replace a Jeep so I could go on width restricted trails and so I could put tracks on and use it in the snow, but I am concerned that it won't go everywhere a jeep could. Especially on trails with large boulders. Any experience with that kind of stuff?

All I do is follow my buddies Jeep. The p500 will hang if you pick good lines and have a wench when needed. Taller aftermarket tires will help a lot as well. I’m waiting on my tires to get here, been rocking in stock tires with minimal issues.
F904ce6b998975be609f415a62473d9c3945f5d79a53252272c654b21da1b97805c505427544fc0f6157044f98407596

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Image Image Image Image My P5 went behind the razor and two jeeps last year 2017 in Moab no issues at all I couldn't keep up with the jeeps on the straightaway but I can climb anything that they could and probably a lot less damage to my P5 then on their jeeps great choice

Thanks

coyote666

coyote666

Mar 9, 2018
wyoming
Ownership

1. 500
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
That was a level 5 trail of a level 5 max trail markings. I did have to wench 2 times, larger tires and a front locker that is in development would most likely have gotten me through 100%

See the Texas trail ride from February, I was not involved with the group but happened to show up the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
No stock tires I have 28's with 2" spacers. I went down one of the hot tubs, not the deep one but the smaller one and she did just fine. I'm trying to get a video posted soon.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!