Trailers, Straps and Avoiding Mishaps...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Having watched the 2 Shock Therapy videos in post #27, I've changed my tie down system.

Before, tied high on the chassis because I didn't want to tie to the suspension, the bumper seemed more stout to me. Tying as high as possible on the trailer lessened suspension compression but it did pull it down some.

Now. I can't go any further toward the tire because of sharp edges. This location accomplishes two things - 1. The downward angle of the straps is cut in half, less downward pull. 2. The strap location is close enough to the wheel that there's very little vertical movement anyway. I run the loose ends thru the bumper, I don't leave them lying on the spare.

The rear straps didn't pull down the suspension very much but the angle of the straps got too straight across when I moved the buggy rearward to compensate for carrying fuel up front; they were pulling against each other, not pulling the buggy rearward.

My first attempt used D-shackles but they were a bit fiddly and I had to count loose chain links every time because I had to undo the shackle to get the axle strap on and off. But I did end up with a straighter pull rearward. I'm using 36" axle straps. Note that the axle straps won't work with stock Talon wheels, the ends won't fit through the spokes.

After thinking about it for a day or two, I made this simple change - it's always set the same, no counting links. To be sure this is nowhere near as quick or convenient as the rear ratchet straps but it's much more secure, not tied to the moving chassis and allows the buggy suspension to work; time will tell if I stick with it or not. I tow in neutral with the Hillbilly brake set.

When carrying fuel, I still have to tie to the bumper, the A-arms are inaccessible. I'll be tying to the tires with axle straps and ratchet straps for tightening. Look closely, my tires overhang the trailer bed, E-track won't work for me.

Edit: new front tie down system for use with the blue fuel drums -

Last edited:
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have the room, E-trac and tie bonnets are probably the best way to go. You can adjust the position of your load easily for proper weight distribution. Next would be the Erickson system, which is what I use. The position of your machine is fixed on the trailer and it won't go anywhere. I have thought of using a strip of E-trac for my rear tie downs, just so I don't have to climb over four wheel chocks at the same time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!