P700 Tranny issues

R

russell1979

Nov 17, 2016
grandview texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
i have owned my 09 BR since 2012 and have loved it. i have serviced with T6 5-40 twice a year and never had any issues till now. i drowned it a few weeks ago. after i got her back to camp i flushed out the head a bunch and took her home. i changed the oil 9 times to be exact and cleaned out the air box, intake and throttle body. i also added a full 2" snorkel while i had it apart. the engine runs great with all the power it ever had and no white smoke. the 1st thing i noticed it wasnt engaging 3rd gear, then it was not starting in 1st but only 2nd gear. after that it started slipping second gear pretty bad. i killed it and restarted and it wouldnt grab in forward or reverse. i towed it home. i took the trans valve body apart expecting to find dirt and grim but it was clean other than a tiny bit of emulsified oil/water on the outside of the valve body. i cranked it and it did engage in forward and reverse but i didnt test ride yet. i havent checked oil pressure yet but it seems to have good pressure. i cranked on it a little while the valve body was out and it sprayed hard.

anyone got any advise? is there a way to see the oil pump chain without taking the front cover off?

PS, i have owned a 08 rincon since new and never had any problems with it.

R

russell1979

Nov 17, 2016
grandview texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
i have owned my 09 BR since 2012 and have loved it. i have serviced with T6 5-40 twice a year and never had any issues till now. i drowned it a few weeks ago. after i got her back to camp i flushed out the head a bunch and took her home. i changed the oil 9 times to be exact and cleaned out the air box, intake and throttle body. i also added a full 2" snorkel while i had it apart. the engine runs great with all the power it ever had and no white smoke. the 1st thing i noticed it wasnt engaging 3rd gear, then it was not starting in 1st but only 2nd gear. after that it started slipping second gear pretty bad. i killed it and restarted and it wouldnt grab in forward or reverse. i towed it home. i took the trans valve body apart expecting to find dirt and grim but it was clean other than a tiny bit of emulsified oil/water on the outside of the valve body. i cranked it and it did engage in forward and reverse but i didnt test ride yet. i havent checked oil pressure yet but it seems to have good pressure. i cranked on it a little while the valve body was out and it sprayed hard.

anyone got any advise? is there a way to see the oil pump chain without taking the front cover off?

PS, i have owned a 08 rincon since new and never had any problems with it.

R

russell1979

Nov 17, 2016
grandview texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
I put the valve body back together and changed the oil and filter again. Test rode and still no third gear. 1st, 2nd and reverse are strong but it won't hit third. No flashing lights of any kind.

Does any one know witch color solenoid is 3rd? What ohm and resistance should it be?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm sorry you're not getting any help with this. I'm watching to see if anyone can answer your questions in case I ever need to know.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@russell1979 I'm like gator. I don't want to see a guy struggling without any help. Hopefully this is appropriate on here but you might take a look at the the other "honda pioneer forum" and see if you can post it there. There is a gentleman called "toodeep" that is very savvy with alot of this stuff. I wish you luck.

R

russell1979

Nov 17, 2016
grandview texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
@russell1979 I'm like gator. I don't want to see a guy struggling without any help. Hopefully this is appropriate on here but you might take a look at the the other "honda pioneer forum" and see if you can post it there. There is a gentleman called "toodeep" that is very savvy with alot of this stuff. I wish you luck.

Thanks guys.

I'll ask TooDeep.

Reactions: swsebek
H

Hondaholic4

Jan 14, 2014
when I over filled my 2014 700-4 it wouldn’t shift outta 1st gear. I drained a little bit of oil at a time until it worked fine.
Hope this helps

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, it could be electrical...a contact that is needed for the trans may be shorted out or not making contact...You didn't mention any error codes on the display, so we will assume it has no serious codes to throw.
I think it is still a water issue as the motor and trans use the same oil. It may be that there is a different procedure for flushing out everything after a sinking...Maybe filling with a thinner product that will reach all the areas, like a Marvel Mystery Oil or something.
Just my first thoughts , but I'm no expert..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!