P1000 Transmission issues HELP!

Rondathehonda

Rondathehonda

Apr 28, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 with 4500 miles on it and the other day the trans would slip in 1st 3rd and 5th. Then after an hours or so it randomly stopped no more slip in first and the 2-3 shift and 4-5 shift. But now it's jumping forward when in gear. It lets me shift into H,L and Reverse but once it's in that gear it wont let me move the gear selector. I have to shut it off put it in park start it back up and then I can select the gear again. Any help would be much appreciated.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 with 4500 miles on it and the other day the trans would slip in 1st 3rd and 5th. Then after an hours or so it randomly stopped no more slip in first and the 2-3 shift and 4-5 shift. But now it's jumping forward when in gear. It lets me shift into H,L and Reverse but once it's in that gear it wont let me move the gear selector. I have to shut it off put it in park start it back up and then I can select the gear again. Any help would be much appreciated.
The clutches ever been replaced under warranty? I burnt two sets out before they replaced the housing that the oil passage is in and a new set of clutches that have been going strong for over 3,000 miles

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There is a updated clutch cover that came out in 2017. You will need that if it wasn't replaced under the product improvement campaign that has expired. I can't remember if thats what it was called but it's no longer offered. All 2016 and some early 2017s need it. You will also need a clutch pack.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's a DCT which means Dual Clutch Transmission. It has two sets of clutches. One for 1st, 3rd and 5th gear, the second set for 2nd, 4th and 6th gear. Kinda sounds like clutches, but you might try the clutch relearn before you start trying to tear it apart. There's some info here on that procedure, go to shop talk for the P1.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's a DCT which means Dual Clutch Transmission. It has two sets of clutches. One for 1st, 3rd and 5th gear, the second set for 2nd, 4th and 6th gear. Kinda sounds like clutches, but you might try the clutch relearn before you start trying to tear it apart. There's some info here on that procedure, go to shop talk for the P1.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your r-1-3-5 clutch pack is most likely fried. You're probably seeing both AT and MT in your display?

You can try initialization, but it will not work if the clutch pack is toast.

About $300 or so for a new clutch pack if you can DIY. Other parts may be necessary for a '16 based on updates it may or may not have had. I believe you're looking at $1000-1500 to have a dealer do it, based on what I remember others reporting here.

There's a guide here on the site. A service manual is also recommended.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I hate to see you have to pay for this. You have been a forum member for over 2 years and only 6 posts. There is tons of great information on here if people will do a little research. The product improvement campaign expired 5 months after you joined hondasxs.com. Honda would have fixed this all up no charge if you had taken advantage of the update that expired in September 2020. See below for full information about what you need to replace to keep it from reoccurring.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are you saying that isn't slipping anymore and is shifting correctly?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes it's no longer slipping but now when you try to go from high to low or low to high it's like the shifter is stuck. The only way to shift it out of gear is to shut it off and put it in park.
Have you tried the clutch relearn procedure posted above? Note that it has to be fully warmed up first.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes it's no longer slipping but now when you try to go from high to low or low to high it's like the shifter is stuck. The only way to shift it out of gear is to shut it off and put it in park.
Who are u responding to?
I would suggest to refer to post #9 that should answer your issue ;)

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm gonna put my money on your clutches are smoked. Especially if you haven't had the clutch cover update done. I'm honestly surprised they lasted that long. Did you try the relearn? I'm fixing to burn mine out in a couple weeks......

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So it shifts normal through all six gears?

Rondathehonda

Rondathehonda

Apr 28, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So it shifts normal through all six gears?
Correct it was slipping then it stopped and developed this new issue where it won't let me move the shifter if it's running. (I can shift it into H,L or Neutral one time but if I try and go from High into any other gear it's like it's stuck. The only way to shift it is to shut it off and then it will let me shift it to park.)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!