BOX1

Talon Transmission noise

H

Harding10

Apr 14, 2019
Calif
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anybody else got transmission noise. I’m getting an intermittent howl, not minor, I’m talking your ears hurt. Guys following hear the tranny not the motor. Not always there, if I go to low range it goes away. Usually around 4 k rpm when just cruising. This makes my YXZ tranny sound silent by comparison for those who have driven a Yamaha. Going to call the dealer tomorrow.

Reactions: Nighthawk
H

Harding10

Apr 14, 2019
Calif
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the info- no! Did the service and thought there was only one shared oil source for the engine/ trans. I’ll take a look

Reactions: Dp5hunter
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for the info- no! Did the service and thought there was only one shared oil source for the engine/ trans. I’ll take a look
He’s talking the sub trans/ transfer case is separated from the engine /trans.

H

HondaTech

Under the seat is the sub transmission oil fill/check. Think of it like a transfer case, the oil is there but isnt pumped anywhere.

The engine and actual transmission are all in one sump, checked under the bed.

H

Harding10

Apr 14, 2019
Calif
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks guys. The sub trans was a quart low. Must have come that way. No leaks but I didn’t even realize it was a separated section. Filled it up and nice and quiet again

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks guys. The sub trans was a quart low. Must have come that way. No leaks but I didn’t even realize it was a separated section. Filled it up and nice and quiet again

FYI, the Sub Transmission only holds 1.35 qts total. Being 1 qt low means it was only running with .35 qts and that would be somewhat concerning to me, especially if it caused abnormal noises. You might consider reporting (complaining) to the dealer you purchased it from and put them on notice in case a warranty claim arises in the future.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I put over 100 miles on my LE without subtrans oil after a dealer service! After a few oil flushes and it works and sounds fine. I did make the dealer put in writing a full lifetime warranty on subtrans.

H

Harding10

Apr 14, 2019
Calif
Ownership

1. Talon R
In my case I figure to keep quiet and drive the hell out of it. If it doesn’t give problems before the warranty is up I think I’m fine. If it breaks, I may be better not to be arguing about my failure to know there was another dipstick lol. Im pushing 400 miles now and it’s quiet.

H

HondaTech

In my case I figure to keep quiet and drive the hell out of it. If it doesn’t give problems before the warranty is up I think I’m fine. If it breaks, I may be better not to be arguing about my failure to know there was another dipstick lol. Im pushing 400 miles now and it’s quiet.

I'd atleast have them document it and keep it in the units history through an R.O.

That way they know the issues was Day 1 and could be grounds for repair later.

They probably didnt check it since the dipstick is a little difficult to get to on the Talon.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Anybody else got transmission noise. I’m getting an intermittent howl, not minor, I’m talking your ears hurt. Guys following hear the tranny not the motor. Not always there, if I go to low range it goes away. Usually around 4 k rpm when just cruising. This makes my YXZ tranny sound silent by comparison for those who have driven a Yamaha. Going to call the dealer tomorrow.

I just posted about my howling transmission! Put 125 pretty tough miles on mine this weekend for its first outing! The trans noise was deafening at anything over about 30 mph in high range, but was also present at pretty much all times! My Talon came with missing rubber grommets for one hood pin and one of the tail lights... why should I expect that it would come with all required fluids! Guess I better look at the sub trans reservoir tomorrow! Wonder what damage could have been done!

H

Harding10

Apr 14, 2019
Calif
Ownership

1. Talon R
On the positive side I think your fine. I ran the hell out of mine for an easy 100 plus miles with it making noise. 600 miles later it’s dead quiet. ( after the quart of oil the sub trans needed)
That’s why I love Honda’s. They just don’t quit. Happy trails.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
On the positive side I think your fine. I ran the hell out of mine for an easy 100 plus miles with it making noise. 600 miles later it’s dead quiet. ( after the quart of oil the sub trans needed)
That’s why I love Honda’s. They just don’t quit. Happy trails.
So the sub-trans reservoir fill is located under one of the seats?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The dip stick in accessible from the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. Check your owners manual. If there is no oil screw the dip stick in. If your about 8 oz low the screwed in dip stick will show oil. You should always check the sub trans oil at every oil change even though it only needs to be changed every 2 years. I put on a lot of miles so I change it way more often.

Reactions: JTW
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
The dip stick in accessible from the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. Check your owners manual. If there is no oil screw the dip stick in. If your about 8 oz low the screwed in dip stick will show oil. You should always check the sub trans oil at every oil change even though it only needs to be changed every 2 years. I put on a lot of miles so I change it way more often.
Yeah, I knew about the Sub-Trans dip stick location, just didn’t realize that’s what it was for. I had looked at it before when I got off the trail, but just pulled it, saw oil on the stick and stuck it back in. Didn’t wipe and recheck on a level floor etc. tonight I pulled the Talon into my garage and checked the level appropriately and got nothing on the dip stick! Checked it several times and got nothing each time. I videoed the process just in case the dealership doesn’t want to believe me. The manual has a big bold highlighted note right under the Sub-Trans Maint section that says something like Operating with low oil levels will cause severe engine damage! The dip stick had two color marks on the cap, green and orange I think. I thought those marks were to verify the oil had been filled and checked. I’ll be topping off the oil level tomorrow and we’ll see how she sounds. Listening to it tonight as I idled it into the garage I could here the trans whining! Don’t know what kind of damage may have already taken place!

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Checked the Sub-Trans oil last night per the manual instructions and nothing showing on the dip stick. I know there is at least some oil in the reservoir because I looked at it when I got back to camp on the first day of riding but just pulled the dip stick and saw oil on it and put it back in. I bought my Talon from RideNow in Chandler AZ and had it shipped to WA. They charged me $688 for assembly which is supposed to include checking all the fluids! Not happy!

Reactions: rmarengere_1
R

rmarengere_1

Oct 28, 2018
Hull
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi
I have bought a 2018 Pioneer 1000 limited oct 2018
I have been complaining at my dealer also about the noise also , but they kept telling me that's its normal .

3 weeks ago I was riding in the woods and a massif grinding noise sound started , that seemed to be coming from the transmission, and we could ear it loud and clear metal on metal . I even have a video of it.
Took it to a authorized Honda dealer, and they found out that there were hardly any oil in the SubTransmission !
So they haded oil , and lsaying that they don't think there were any damaged done. So i guess I drove 1900 km with hardly any oil in the tranny.

They also told me that the plastic cover from the manufactured was still on the Sub-Transmission dipstick! Weird!
So that goes to say that at the PDI inspection at my dealership they never did check the oil level!
It doesn't stop there lol
I also brought back my pioneer to the dealer for the my first service at 150 km as recommended, to change all the oils and adjust the valves as they are supposed to do ,and at the cost of $650.00 .

So that goes to say.... Imagine! even at the 150 km service they didn't detect the plastic cover over the Sub-Transmission dipstick that was never even touch. So I guess that goes to say that they probably never changed any oils on it and didn't even checked my side x side probably just put it aside. I now have the invoice from the dealer which I got the oil put in and have it written that says about the dipstick that was never touched and no oil.

Now 1 week later today I decided to check the Sub-Transmission oil level in my pioneer and found out that no oil mark on it !! I had to screw the dipstick in completely to get a half way oil mark .

What the fuc.... Is going on? We can't get any more good people to do good work ?

Thanks for listening to my story lol

Reactions: Arizona and Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
:eek: I feel your pain! I experienced something similar...now I do pre ride inspections;)

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Hi
I have bought a 2018 Pioneer 1000 limited oct 2018
I have been complaining at my dealer also about the noise also , but they kept telling me that's its normal .

3 weeks ago I was riding in the woods and a massif grinding noise sound started , that seemed to be coming from the transmission, and we could ear it loud and clear metal on metal . I even have a video of it.
Took it to a authorized Honda dealer, and they found out that there were hardly any oil in the SubTransmission !
So they haded oil , and lsaying that they don't think there were any damaged done. So i guess I drove 1900 km with hardly any oil in the tranny.

They also told me that the plastic cover from the manufactured was still on the Sub-Transmission dipstick! Weird!
So that goes to say that at the PDI inspection at my dealership they never did check the oil level!
It doesn't stop there lol
I also brought back my pioneer to the dealer for the my first service at 150 km as recommended, to change all the oils and adjust the valves as they are supposed to do ,and at the cost of $650.00 .

So that goes to say.... Imagine! even at the 150 km service they didn't detect the plastic cover over the Sub-Transmission dipstick that was never even touch. So I guess that goes to say that they probably never changed any oils on it and didn't even checked my side x side probably just put it aside. I now have the invoice from the dealer which I got the oil put in and have it written that says about the dipstick that was never touched and no oil.

Now 1 week later today I decided to check the Sub-Transmission oil level in my pioneer and found out that no oil mark on it !! I had to screw the dipstick in completely to get a half way oil mark .

What the fuc.... Is going on? We can't get any more good people to do good work ?

Thanks for listening to my story lol

definitely time to use a different dealer.

Reactions: PaulF
D

DuneFlyer

Nov 27, 2018
Lake Havasu, AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I find it curious that the factory would put some oil in but not top it off.

1.35 quarts equals 1227.56cc or about 1.25 liters

.25 liters = .26417 quarts - or slightly less than 1/3 quart - which, from what I've been reading, is roughly the amount you guys are finding in the sub-trans when they are underfilled.

It appears to me that the factory had a typo on a spec sheet on the assembly line and may have dropped the "1" which ended up leaving the trans about a quart low.

Just my 2¢

Yes, a good dealer should have caught the low oil level.

Reactions: Mikehallad
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!