transmission not shifting

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Has anyone had this issue.I started off and quickly realized it wasn't shifting gears looked down at the gear selector indicator and it was flashing just a small line.I turned it off went through all the gears and nothing helped.Went back home let it sit for awhile and everything is back to normal.I ran it up to 25 mph in 1st gear when it was doing this and thought people having trouble in higher elevations might like this problem or if there was a way to control when it shifted it pulled like a tank and rpms sounded fine not excessive but since it's not supposed to do this any ideas.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
nagromr1 said:
Has anyone had this issue.I started off and quickly realized it wasn't shifting gears looked down at the gear selector indicator and it was flashing just a small line.I turned it off went through all the gears and nothing helped.Went back home let it sit for awhile and everything is back to normal.I ran it up to 25 mph in 1st gear when it was doing this and thought people having trouble in higher elevations might like this problem or if there was a way to control when it shifted it pulled like a tank and rpms sounded fine not excessive but since it's not supposed to do this any ideas.
Your Pioneer went into "Safe Mode". It happens when something does not go right. Most of the time it is a sensor not communicating but it could be something else. If I have time I will see what I can find out about it.
Since you are a Lifetime member you can download this and see what you can find. supporting-member-forum-f54/booyah-pioneer-service-manual-pdf-t895.html

Quick search found this info
FAIL-SAFE FUNCTION
The drivetrain system is provided with a fail-safe function to secure a minimum running capability even when there is trouble in the
system.
When the PCM detects a problem in the AfT system, the PCM stops the automatic shift function and anti-<:reep function, and
defaults the transmission into 2nd gear. Also, the MIL blinks to indicate the DTC.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks for information. So far it hasn't done it again.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had it happen once after a particularly vigorous trail ride. I shut it off let it sit for a few and it reset hasn't happened since.

Reactions: JTW
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You should have a code stored in the computer. It won't run that high in 1st gear so I expect you were in 2nd gear and I think that happens when there is a problem. The Rincon goes into 2nd when there is a sensor or computer problem. When you turn it off and restart it goes back to normal until the failure occurs again.

S

Sask700

Jul 8, 2015
Your Pioneer went into "Safe Mode". It happens when something does not go right. Most of the time it is a sensor not communicating but it could be something else. If I have time I will see what I can find out about it.
Since you are a Lifetime member you can download this and see what you can find. supporting-member-forum-f54/booyah-pioneer-service-manual-pdf-t895.html

Quick search found this info
I have the same problem, my sxs has power and the clutches don't seem to be slipping but it will only shift up to secound gear?? What can I do, please help anyone? Ideas

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are there any codes blinking out via the service light (shaped like an engine)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I thought I had a post on limp mode and resetting it.. but can't find it. I will post it but be tomorrow evening.

S

Sask700

Jul 8, 2015
I thought I had a post on limp mode and resetting it.. but can't find it. I will post it but be tomorrow evening.
No there is nothing on the screen.. It just won't make make the shift to 3rd.. I changed the oil 3 times now as well with no results.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. That's limp mode.
It's not electronic. It's a valve on the side of the motor you need to reset.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's in the owners manual, not sure exactly where. I don't have one to look at at the moment.

All it takes is a screwdriver. If I remember right, it's on the drivers side toward the front about ⅓ - ½ way up the engine/trans assembly.

S

Sask700

Jul 8, 2015
pg 196 2015 owners manuaL
I know the valve you are talking about, it's on the drivers side.. What would you recommend I do to reset the system.. It's basically saying is a oil bypass?

S

Sask700

Jul 8, 2015
I know the valve you are talking about, it's on the drivers side.. What would you recommend I do to reset the system.. It's basically saying is a oil bypass?
Update: screwed the valve in all the way and the machine is working normal again as far as I can tell.. It's shifting past secound now!! I wonder why they screwed the valve out in the first place??

Reactions: ohanacreek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Me too. I was just reading about this. It looks like its not ment to come out on its own. And should be manually used for emergencys.

I need to read up on this and post a PSA on it sometime. Good info to know ahead of time when on the trail.

Reactions: swsebek
Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Good information, thanks for the posts guys. Mine would fail to upshift when it was cold, but since changing to Amsoil last year it hasn't happened since. I realize we're talking about 2 different problems. Sorry I shouldn't mix subjects.

J

Joe700

Jun 30, 2016
Cleveland, TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the same problem, my sxs has power and the clutches don't seem to be slipping but it will only shift up to secound gear?? What can I do, please help anyone? Ideas
Having the same problem,

TimmyBoy84

TimmyBoy84

Aug 5, 2015
Southern California
I had issues with mine a few weeks ago too with it not wanting to shift into 3rd, sometimes 2nd too. I was camping at Pismo beach near the shoreline and I'm not sure if it's the salt water or what but noticed a couple times the tranny was acting up... when I let the rig warm up for 5 to 10 minutes or so problem went away... I was worried cuz I was running that baby hard in the dunes and even pulled out 2 buggy trailers, a rental sandrail and a Honda Pilot suv out of the sand lol!!! I think my issue was just warm up?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!