P500 Transmission question

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm tired of searching lol, I'm sure I can get an answer much quicker if I just ask it.

1. Is the current pioneer model a dual clutch transmission, or is it the same transmission as what's in a foreman 500 es?

2. At some point in the model years did Honda change the transmission in the p500, or do they still use the same one but figured out a way for it to shift auto and manual?

3. This is a different transmission than what they use in the foreman Rubicon automatic correct? The Rubicon clearly says it is a dct.

I'm looking to downsize from my p1000-5. My original thought was to go back to a foreman but I hate wearing a helmet and a lot of these places I've never ridden before all say that you can't ride more passengers that originally designed (can't ride doubles on a foreman). So the next best thing for me would be a p500. No helmet, can take a passenger, and it will fit in the bed of a truck or a tiny trailer behind my wife's SUV. Problem is that I've never been a fan of my p1000 dct. I would actually sat that it is pretty terrible. Soooo, I'm hoping that the p500 is the good ole auto clutch tranny from a foreman 500, cause those things are bullet proof and smooth.

Reactions: Mudder and rtn001
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P500 tranny is the same as a Forman ES basically.

Reactions: rtn001
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm tired of searching lol, I'm sure I can get an answer much quicker if I just ask it.

1. Is the current pioneer model a dual clutch transmission, or is it the same transmission as what's in a foreman 500 es?

2. At some point in the model years did Honda change the transmission in the p500, or do they still use the same one but figured out a way for it to shift auto and manual?

3. This is a different transmission than what they use in the foreman Rubicon automatic correct? The Rubicon clearly says it is a dct.

I'm looking to downsize from my p1000-5. My original thought was to go back to a foreman but I hate wearing a helmet and a lot of these places I've never ridden before all say that you can't ride more passengers that originally designed (can't ride doubles on a foreman). So the next best thing for me would be a p500. No helmet, can take a passenger, and it will fit in the bed of a truck or a tiny trailer behind my wife's SUV. Problem is that I've never been a fan of my p1000 dct. I would actually sat that it is pretty terrible. Soooo, I'm hoping that the p500 is the good ole auto clutch tranny from a foreman 500, cause those things are bullet proof and smooth.
What didn’t you like about the DCT?

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't like that it seems to either be disengaged or fully engaged depending on engine rpm. So if you just slowly give it some gas you can distinctly feel when the clutch engages. This makes starts really jumpy and jerky. Starting on hills are bad too. Also it seems like it can get bogged down. I mean it has enough power that if you floor it then it is gonna spin the tires if it doesn't start moving, but you can't ease in to it, you just have to floor it and see what happens. The old foreman and ranchers I've had you can ease in to the throttle until eventually the tires start spinning. I don't know exactly how either one of their clutches work, I just know the foreman and ranchers I've had sure are nicer feeling. Maybe that transmission design cant handle the hp of the 1000 engine, idk. Either way, if the p500 has the same terrible jerky dct design that my p1000 has then I will look for something else I think. I'm not intending to bash the p1000 either. I do really like mine overall, I would just say the jerky transmission is my least favorite part lol.

H

HondaTech

The newer Rubicon can be had as a foot shift model as well with IRS. Or you can get a Foreman with foot or electric shift with a straight axle. The 2020 Foreman has the Rubcion headlight and and basically everything else save the bodywork, and IRS. Power steering is avaliable on both.

The P500 is the same trans as the atvs (maybe with gearing changes) with the ignition cut for shifting automatically.

Reactions: rtn001 and Russ989
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is the same as the atvs you just mentioned correct? Not the same as the Rubicon auto/thumb shift (dct)?

H

HondaTech

It is the same as the atvs you just mentioned correct? Not the same as the Rubicon auto/thumb shift (dct)?

Correct the only 500 series model with a DCT is the Rubicon.

Also, since the foreman/rubicon went to the 520, any word if the p500 will too eventually. Guess not for 2020 at least.

I didnt understand why they wouldn't have also bumped the P500 up to a 520 as well, since its most likely just a bore change.

Reactions: Mudder and rtn001
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X

1. Same single ATV-style auto clutch. No dct on p5 any years.

2. MY17 and up have auto-manual modes via dash toggle, and a touch taller final gearing.

3. Guys already answered above, same-ish. The single-clutch 500 mill is all that’s is available in any year p5 currently.

if you don’t HAVE to have auto-mode—buy mine!!! :D

I agree, dct isn’t as rideable as tried and true single-clutch. I love the way a worn-in p5 bangs through the gears, just more predictable and smoother than my talon.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Interesting that a P500 has smoother shifts than a Talon given the price, and my test ride of a Talon proved it. My 420 Rancher has the smoothest, like a car. Wish it was in the P500, but after adjustment and break in, P500 has smoothed out alot since new. That said, never use AT mode on hilly tight trails. P500 is bullet proof IMO, keeping it to the very end.

W

watchmeyll

Jun 14, 2021
mobile alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a used 2016 1000/3 pioneer. Its extremely jerky when taking off from a dead start in high or low range.it appears This is a common problem. Is there a fix

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bought a used 2016 1000/3 pioneer. Its extremely jerky when taking off from a dead start in high or low range.it appears This is a common problem. Is there a fix
Have you compared it to other P1's? The angle of the gas pedal is goofy and takes some getting used to, some are running the Throttle Max accessory gas pedal thingy.

Reactions: Buggyman
W

watchmeyll

Jun 14, 2021
mobile alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you compared it to other P1's? The angle of the gas pedal is goofy and takes some getting used to, some are running the Throttle Max accessory gas pedal thingy.
This is more like a snappy clutch engage im not sure that feathering the pedal would work. This happened during a hill this weekend and was a little unnerving

Reactions: Buggyman
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is more like a snappy clutch engage im not sure that feathering the pedal would work. This happened during a hill this weekend and was a little unnerving
I've let people try to drive Rooster with the same results, try planting your heel on the floor applying pressure to the petal. Try to find another P1 to test against?

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I *LOVED* my 2011 Rubicon's hydraulic CTV. Sounded like a skidsteer at low speeds. Did not however, love dumping ~6quarts of oil in the damn thing for the yearly oil changes.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!