BOX1

P1000 Transporting 1k5 LE

dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I've just taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a 2020 1000-5 LE from Southern Honda in Chatanooga. It's a 240 mile drive for me, mostly interstate. The LE is supposed to be ready for pickup in the next day or so.

I have the 6x10 trailer in the picture. The measurements inside the rails are 121"x73". So it has an extra inch past the ratings and the LE is only 63" wide and less than 10' long. The rails and tailgate are removable from the trailer with a couple of bolts if I really need to do that. The trailer is rated for loads up to 2060 pounds. So I think I'm ok there. The dry weight of the LE is 1763 and I have the hard top, hard coat split windshield, and the winch. It's hard to find anything which gives weights but the top and the windshield being plastic should be very light and the only thing I could find on the winch seemed to say the shipping weight was 28 pounds. Seems pretty light but if that's correct, all the extras and the fluids shouldn't amount to much over 100 pounds. I think. But I don't know so I'm tossing it out to the forum for comments.

I've had the trailer a couple of years. It's been great for moving my zero turn and for loading up with a golf cart, generator, gas cans, tents and stuff for camping. That was all easy but that wasn't a $20,000+++ Pioneer. I live in the mountains with 180 acres of forested property to get around in with nothing but logging roads so the Pioneer will be a whole lot better than beating up my F150 4x4 on those "roads". All I have to do is get 'er home.

I'm going to add 4 heavy duty D rings for tie downs, and I have a set of 4, 4400# ratchet straps. But will the Pioneer really work with the 6x10?
20200727 100412

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya. it should.
The worse case can you lay the front rail down. I dont remember if the front lays down like the sides or is it needed to keep the sides up?
Take the gate off and lay it flat to get home.

PS, Welcome to the club.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome from South FL!
Should work no problem.
I have a 6x12 I've used for years around town and now its for the P1K5. New hubs, tires and deck Good to go. U'll b ok, just make sure u strap it down good. Don't skimp on a good set of straps 👍

#NTC

Reactions: dougclind
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you close to max for the tires watch your speed. Most trailer tires are only rated for 60mph. Especially when maxed out weight wise. Don't ask how I learned.

Congratulations on the new machine. You will love it. The more you drive it the better it gets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your windshield may be a problem. Most are rated at 45 mph. Better ask your dealer. If the rating is less than 70 mph, I would remove it and carry in back of truck (inside). Better to be safe. Would be a real bummer if it broke off and caused someone else to have an accident.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Trailers are probably rated at 50% safety factor, I'd have no problem with yours. I tie to the trailer rails, if you don't through bolt the D-rings, they're the weak link. I've also seen broken D-rings.

I use four 36" axle straps for the corners since my straps have steel hooks and I didn't want to scratch my new trailer. The low angle of the straps doesn't pull the suspension down very much so it still works as needed. I don't tie to suspension components, I don't think they're meant to be loaded that way.

Front -
I FQTBrtr L

Rear -
I VKT8cPQ L

dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the comments guys. That helps. On the D rings, I'll bolt them through with nuts and washers. Seems like a lot better idea than lag screws.
Good question on the windshield. I'll check that out for sure. Anyone know how much is involved in taking the windshield on and off? The Pioneer can do 67 so I would think the windshield would be ok even at 70mph. I'll probably keep the F150 to the posted limits on the interstates (as hard as that will be for me. I'm usually a +10 guy.)

People keep telling me that once I get the sxs, I'll wonder how I ever managed without it. We'll see but they're probably gonna be right. I'm getting it mostly for use around the property but might be fun to hit something like the Pioneer takeover at royal blue next year. That is if the commie, leftist baloney artists don't come up with another stupid, phony, emergency shutdown. Don't get me started.

dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya. it should.
The worse case can you lay the front rail down. I dont remember if the front lays down like the sides or is it needed to keep the sides up?
Take the gate off and lay it flat to get home.

PS, Welcome to the club.
All the rails can come off independently but I can see that having all four on makes the rail system solid. They latch together. Taking the gate off would sure reduce the weight. That thing must weigh around 50 pounds, maybe more. If the dealer has ramps, I could take it off and leave it at home but when I've loaded it up with the golf cart, gas cans (about 30 gallons worth) and a bunch of camping gear I had no trouble even doing 75+. So I don't know. Seems like it would add just that much more safety if somehow a couple of straps broke.

The rails are 15" off the deck and I measured the Pioneer. The winch and front end could stick over the rail no problem if I needed a few extra inches.

One thing I didn't ask anyone about and that is the center of gravity of the Pioneer. Is it right in the middle? Anyone know? The trailer wheels are slightly aft of the center point of the trailer and I think I want the Pioneer's CG to be sitting at that point so it puts a little weight on the hitch. I'm not a trailer expert. Kind of a rookie but I think that's what I should want.

dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Postscript: Put 4 heavy duty D rings from Tractor Supply secured with carriage bolts. Used Vehiclex Heavy Duty Ratchet Straps – 1.5" x 8 ft to tie it down. I used the included soft straps to go around the control arms right at the hubs and then since it's a short trailer, used the ratchet straps to connect the front wheel soft straps to the rear D rings and the back wheels to the front D rings. Using the soft straps like that to strap down the wheels at the hub was a strategy from Shock Therapy llc that's on youtube. The idea was to connect to something which didn't move up and down. It made sense to me and it worked fine.

I got a little unnerved when I turned a corner after leaving the dealer and watched the Pioneer sway in my rearview mirror. Got out and checked and the trailer didn't sway at all. It was just the suspension on the Pioneer letting the sxs sway. Rest of the trip was smooth and there was ample room on the trailer. I pulled it all the way forward so the front wheels were pulled up against the rails.

The only other thing I'd mention is a big thumbs down for Southern Honda Powersports. Their price may have been good but nothing else was.

Reactions: JenElio
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
great explanation as follows

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well if you are going to bad mouth them, at least tell us the problem?
Any dealer can take your money. There was no problem there. They took my order just fine and my money. AND they did deliver the merchandise configured as I asked. But when it came time to pick it up, it wasn't really ready and NOBODY went over the vehicle with me to show me ANYTHING about it. The salesman wasn't even there. It wasn't even cleaned up. The finance guy who took the money had to go out and get someone to wash the dust off. I wasn't offered a test drive (I should have insisted before I gave them my money but oh well, I didn't.) But nobody showed me anything on the Pioneer. I still don't know how to open the front panel, the hood. There are 2 latches but when I snap them open, the panel doesn't want to come off and I'm afraid to pull too hard on it. It's just plastic. No one showed me how to use the winch, explained why there isn't a parking brake, how to treat it during the break in period, how to use the dump bed, put the rear seats up and down. Nothing. No one there to even say goodbye and thanks for the business. Just took my money, gave me the machine and that was it.

I will say, I may be better off for it because it forced me to read the manual and work things out for myself. Except for the hood, I've figured things out for myself. I've never owned an offroad vehicle before so a lot of this stuff was new territory. But you know, for $25K, I expect just a little more courtesy from the dealer. So I give them a big thumbs down.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any dealer can take your money. There was no problem there. They took my order just fine and my money. AND they did deliver the merchandise configured as I asked. But when it came time to pick it up, it wasn't really ready and NOBODY went over the vehicle with me to show me ANYTHING about it. The salesman wasn't even there. It wasn't even cleaned up. The finance guy who took the money had to go out and get someone to wash the dust off. I wasn't offered a test drive (I should have insisted before I gave them my money but oh well, I didn't.) But nobody showed me anything on the Pioneer. I still don't know how to open the front panel, the hood. There are 2 latches but when I snap them open, the panel doesn't want to come off and I'm afraid to pull too hard on it. It's just plastic. No one showed me how to use the winch, explained why there isn't a parking brake, how to treat it during the break in period, how to use the dump bed, put the rear seats up and down. Nothing. No one there to even say goodbye and thanks for the business. Just took my money, gave me the machine and that was it.

I will say, I may be better off for it because it forced me to read the manual and work things out for myself. Except for the hood, I've figured things out for myself. I've never owned an offroad vehicle before so a lot of this stuff was new territory. But you know, for $25K, I expect just a little more courtesy from the dealer. So I give them a big thumbs down.
Honestly, I would think that a new owner that knew NOTHING about the machine should take the responsibility to ASK all those questions BEFORE paying for it. As for the hood ..... after you raise up the latch, turn it left or right, then the hood is released.

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

It's all pretty basic once u spend some time with the machine. Bring it to RRB @ the end of Sept and we'll show u what it can do 😉
Fun times

Reactions: Haldog77 and BigOL3
dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly, I would think that a new owner that knew NOTHING about the machine should take the responsibility to ASK all those questions BEFORE paying for it. As for the hood ..... after you raise up the latch, turn it left or right, then the hood is released.

Well actually I did ask several things of the salesman at the time we were negotiating and all I got was a blank stare and then he said something like, "well what would you like to know?" How am I supposed to know!! I don't know what questions to ask and when I did ask a couple of obvious ones he just said "somebody can show you that." (And of course the day I was to pick up the machine he wasn't there.) He did take me over to a guy at the service desk and all he said was that if you drive less than 20 mph it's important to stay in low gear. As far as I can tell that's flat wrong because the manual said stay in low gear if you're driving less than 5 mph. He also told me with absolute assurance that in Tennessee the speed limit was never over 65 and I had just spent hours on I85, 40, and 75 where the posted limit was 70! And that was right outside of Chattanooga, where the guy worked. So my confidence in the service desk guy was about zero.

I have to say I was almost totally focused on how to transport it safely and the dealer won't advise you on that. They don't want to be held liable if something goes wrong. So I was on my own there. Ok. But that doesn't excuse the miserable lack of interest in helping me get to know the machine. You can make all the excuses for them that you want but in my book they get a big fat zero.

But like I said, in some ways it was good because it made me go through the owner's manual carefully. Plus I figured that guys on this forum could help out a newby when I needed it.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think you'll find that this forum is probably more helpfull then the owners manual 😁.

P.S. we're still waiting on pictures!!! 😅

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!