P1000 Tried and true cab heat fixes-2018

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The LE = Limited Edition

There’s a few different “trim” packages for the Honda Pioneer; Base model, Deluxe, and the LE. Honda’s site explains the differences.

But, I’m pretty sure that is emissions equipment and you’ve got a California model.

Did you by-chance purchase it from Owens Motorsports? I know when I was shopping around, they had great prices because they were a high volume dealer but they pulled machine from everywhere to get as many in-stock as they could...sometimes those were machine stickered for California.

I’m sure there is a way to remove it, but I couldn’t tell you exactly what needs to be done. Hopefully there’s some folks on the forum who have done it and can assist. Give the search feature a shot... I’d try searching “California” or “green sticker” or “emissions” and that hopefully will yield some results.

Reactions: TripleB
T

tzink

Jul 5, 2020
indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
YUP I got it from Owens in Charlston! And it's a deluxe. I found it on parszilla that it is an evap canister. I am going to try unhooking it and plugging the lines. Thanks for the help

Reactions: michdave
Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I got the seat problem solved, but I'm thinking more insulation is gonna cool better, thinking about insulating the compartment behind my legs next. I have sealed all the holes in the floorboard, no no more foot heater, every time I get a heat problem solved I find another. I ride mostly deep water and dont think an electric fan will last. I took the rubber from behind my shifter and made a block for the shifters that works a little better, plan on finding a better fix in the near future. Still have to take out rear floor and insulate it, but it's off to a pretty good start. Any ideas I am open to suggestions

20200802 083512 20200802 083525 20200802 193411

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So I got the seat problem solved, but I'm thinking more insulation is gonna cool better, thinking about insulating the compartment behind my legs next. I have sealed all the holes in the floorboard, no no more foot heater, every time I get a heat problem solved I find another. I ride mostly deep water and dont think an electric fan will last. I took the rubber from behind my shifter and made a block for the shifters that works a little better, plan on finding a better fix in the near future. Still have to take out rear floor and insulate it, but it's off to a pretty good start. Any ideas I am open to suggestions

View attachment 216394 View attachment 216395 View attachment 216397
What r u using to glue down the insulation? I need to do that soon but im afraid get'n wet often it might come off if glued

Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used spray glue and foil tape, I do hvac so that's what I had. We will c howitt turns out, but doesnt look like itll go anywhere. Only used glue on the back plastic

bulpitt62b

bulpitt62b

Mar 22, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
YUP I got it from Owens in Charlston! And it's a deluxe. I found it on parszilla that it is an evap canister. I am going to try unhooking it and plugging the lines. Thanks for the help

tzink,
Any luck unhooking the evap canister? I just bought the same model from BIG St. Charles in Missouri and mine must be a California model as well. It has the same part as yours in the pic.

Reactions: Isaiah
T

tzink

Jul 5, 2020
indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tzink,
Any luck unhooking the evap canister? I just bought the same model from BIG St. Charles in Missouri and mine must be a California model as well. It has the same part as yours in the pic.
Yeah I unhooked it and plugged the two lines running to the motor. And the other line is a vent for the gas tank I am assuming, that one I extended up to the top of the roll bar. No check engine lights so far.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah I unhooked it and plugged the two lines running to the motor. And the other line is a vent for the gas tank I am assuming, that one I extended up to the top of the roll bar. No check engine lights so far.
Still no issues with plugging that canister lines? Any other differences you've discovered about California version? I just discovered that the model I just bought here in Arizona is a California version!

PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Okay guys.. I've read all the threads I can find on removing heat from the cab in the summer, and taking advantage of it in the winter. While my '18 has the "kit" from the factory, it still kinda sucks. After a 20-30 minute ride, the lower back and bottom of the seat is getting pretty warm.

The Pioneer 1K has been out there for awhile now, so I think it's time to make one thread that has all the successful ideas in one place.

Common sense says windshields and enclosures make the situation worse, we know that.

I'm going to put a fan in mine, but I want to use the right fan, the placement, to duct or not to duct etc.. the FIRST time.

Which fans are working the best?
Placement; how close to the exhaust? Correct aiming?

Might end up being a candidate for a sticky too.

Post up! Myself, and future Pioneer owners thank you in advance! :)
Last weekend I raised the bed and removed the plastic engine cover. It made a world of difference. This was a few months after installing a $100+ pre - cut heat shield / insulation kit that 's supposed to be all the rage. It was a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. And removing the cover makes a very noticeable reduction in noise as well. I'll probably put the cover back on this winter and remove the little access cover under the dash to stay warm in woods.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Last weekend I raised the bed and removed the plastic engine cover. It made a world of difference. This was a few months after installing a $100+ pre - cut heat shield / insulation kit that 's supposed to be all the rage. It was a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. And removing the cover makes a very noticeable reduction in noise as well. I'll probably put the cover back on this winter and remove the little access cover under the dash to stay warm in woods.
I agree! Fan is the only way to go.

J

Jwpmel

Sep 14, 2020
Conway
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 2 12" automotive fans on my 1005. The one in the front pushes and the one in the rear pulls. No heat issues what so ever. Fans cost $60 on Amazon, relay from LPS for $8.50, 10' outdoor 12 gauge wire and some connectors. Oh, and Zip ties. It was easy and only took about 2 hours.

chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have 2 12" automotive fans on my 1005. The one in the front pushes and the one in the rear pulls. No heat issues what so ever. Fans cost $60 on Amazon, relay from LPS for $8.50, 10' outdoor 12 gauge wire and some connectors. Oh, and Zip ties. It was easy and only took about 2 hours.
@Jwpmel you got some photos of your setup?

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
T

tzink

Jul 5, 2020
indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still no issues with plugging that canister lines? Any other differences you've discovered about California version? I just discovered that the model I just bought here in Arizona is a California version!
No issues so far I don’t have another one to compare it to so I’m not really sure what the differences are

F

FoNugget

Jun 19, 2021
Saltillo, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you like the 7" fan better than a pair of 4" bilge fans? what did you get, and how did you mount it?

Oh... and didn't I see a post from you about a couple computer fans to push warm air into the cab in the winter? How did that work out?
Where exactly did you mount the fan and did it help with the back seat heat?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!