crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi all,

my wife and I are taking our dogs and a couple of our tagalong kids out to Halsey Nebraska. It’s home to the largest hand planted Forrest in the United States. They have about 36 miles of off-road trails there in the middle of the sandhills. I will try to get lots of pictures this weekend. But here’s a couple of me getting stuff loaded up for the trip.

C377E8A0 8F0C 4206 BB45 1898C5E96665
EEF6DEAF 6C56 49D3 9D1D 81B52C2FFA0E

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Looks great and look forward to some pics 😀. On a side note, the picture angles suggest that unit on the trailer would not clear the header! Amazing how I see things on this iPhone, LOL.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Learned to bow hunt in Arnold Nebraska North of Gothenburg in the sand hills, in my middle age, loved it!
Pretty much the same area. I guess they have some dunes out there. Trying to decide if we camp in a camp ground or dispersed off the trail.

lots of fine sand, so I brought the Sand Ladders just case.

Reactions: gch1911
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Looks great and look forward to some pics 😀. On a side note, the picture angles suggest that unit on the trailer would not clear the header! Amazing how I see things on this iPhone, LOL.
It cleared to get it in the garage, so it should do better loaded down. But I agree, it looks like it won’t clear.

Reactions: alloutdoors
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks guys! My garage is my safe place. 😁

it turned out good. Wheels and tires make a huge difference.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Just got home guys, long day of having fun at the forest as well as two great breweries in the middle of the state: Kinkaider and Bootleg Brewery.

Snapped this pick of my clearance getting in the garage.
E4AE8F8F 2AA9 4003 8C9F BAA615BE2005

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I will post some more pictures tomorrow as well as a write up for a fantastic place to visit with your SXS

Here is a picture of my wife and daughter coming back from the shower house/ bathroom.
42D461E1 972E 4371 A9AB 60FF415385AF

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
OK, just some quick facts a couple more pictures. For those that have heard about the possibility of getting an organized trail ride for 2023 to the Black Hills of South Dakota, this may be part of that adventure.

The Nebraska National Forest, Bessey Ranger district at Halsey NE

Here is a link for you to look up more info on this wonderful place: NNF

Basically, Charles Bessey petitioned the national government to use land owned by the US to plant trees in what Bessey thought was a spot were an ancient forest used to be at. FDR, set aside money, land and resources to get the project underway. The nation was going to need lumber, and this brought some of it closer to the eastern states. It now totals over 122k acers and is the 2nd largest hand planted forest in the world.

The Bessey Ranger station at Halsey has over 36 miles of OHV trails open to just about anything less than 64" wide. There is also at least 31 miles of road open to road going vehicles such as jeeps. The area is almost all Nebraska Sandhills, large grass and tree covered sand dunes. Some open sand spots are accessible like in my picture from a post above.

In the following posts, I will give any narrative to what is represented in the picture.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a rare gem in the middle of the country. To go enjoy the public land, you will only be charged to park your truck and trailer in one of the designated lots. Cost is $5. If you want to camp, it's $15 if you don't need electricity. There are three different camp grounds, two allow UTV/ATVs to be ridden, the other is for equestrians. You can also do dispersed camping in the park. *** no park sticker is required to be in the park at all ****. Quiet time is at 10pm- 6:00am.

Let me know if you have specific questions, I will try to answer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!