BOX1

Turbo Talon Owners - Would you do it all over again?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Talon owners with turbos, would you do it all over again? Was it worth the price you paid? Was the butt Dyno pleased with the results?

All this chat about KraftWerks and their turbo kit has me curious of the current turbo guys thoughts. So please share your thoughts and experiences, thanks!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
oh yea... even just the stock turbo is so much more. i currently run 16 lbs of boost with 9to1 pistons. with a turbo i recommend pistons within a few months if you beat on it. but if your just trail riding and not hitting the rev limit much then stocks are good for a year or so. im sure some in here have had stock turbo and pistons for longer but in my case they cracked early, with more boost. lol.
lol at the haters. the turbo talon on trails is a freaking blast. even my friends that have faster machines love taking mine down the trail because its so much fun to drive.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
oh yea... even just the stock turbo is so much more. i currently run 16 lbs of boost with 9to1 pistons. with a turbo i recommend pistons within a few months if you beat on it. but if your just trail riding and not hitting the rev limit much then stocks are good for a year or so. im sure some in here have had stock turbo and pistons for longer but in my case they cracked early, with more boost. lol.
lol at the haters. the turbo talon on trails is a freaking blast. even my friends that have faster machines love taking mine down the trail because its so much fun to drive.
What kind of HP are you pushing, 16lbs is pretty insane! Surprised it's holding up to that, that sounds like one hell of a ride.

I trail ride a lot, but it's usually as fast as possible. That is unless I'm with a bigger group then it's not so intense.

Considering kraftwerks, but don't really feel like going all out with pistons and all...race gas etc.

I plan to call them tomorrow to chat and see what kind of timeline we're talking. It's going to be a self install, as I'm on the east coast and can't make it to them with my Talon without a crazy long drive!

Reactions: Blownzuki
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
no need for race gas.. 91 to 93 octane no clue how much hp but its all it needs. lol
if you do just stock turbo setup you don't need to do anything extra in the beginning but you always want more lol

F

FOG

Dec 19, 2021
Orange County
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. w/Turbo
I ran my 2021 RLV Talon without a turbo for about the first 450 miles. Then self installed the Jackson Racing turbo in October. What a difference it makes in the Glamis sand dunes. It really woke my Talon up with just the stock 8 psi set up. I don’t think I would be able to keep up with my buddies in sand rails without it.
Looking forward to riding some trails this summer with the turbo.

Talon22

Talon22

Feb 24, 2022
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talon owners with turbos, would you do it all over again? Was it worth the price you paid? Was the butt Dyno pleased with the results?

All this chat about KraftWerks and their turbo kit has me curious of the current turbo guys thoughts. So please share your thoughts and experiences, thanks!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thanks for the links, I watched these videos yesterday. From what I gathered the KW seems be to a better system so far. I saw the one review and there were lots of issues with the headers cracking on the JR turbo systems.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the links, I watched these videos yesterday. From what I gathered the KW seems be to a better system so far. I saw the one review and there were lots of issues with the headers cracking on the JR turbo systems.

One of the members here, @GBell builds a replacment header for the Jackson turbo kits that can take the abuse of offroad driving without cracking. There are quite a few people running these now.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Lil_Steve watch this first video, Jackson Racing has really dropped the ball and their customer service sucks (from at least one point of view). They seem to be unwilling to reinforce a simple turbo support bracket and replaced 'several' of them for this guy but refused to listen to his suggestion to add gussets to solve the problem.

Another serious problem - at anything above 2000 feet elevation, the JR turbo runs like crap (at 18 minutes in the video). I heard the same thing right after its introduction from another, forgotten, source. I understand that a huge part of the SxS community rides below that altitude but many others of us ride above it. JR refuses to address this monstrous oversight.

They got great press when introduced and tons of Talon owners were hungry for moar powah. JR seemed to be the answer and they were endorsed by Honda - so they looked like a winner. Jump ahead 18 months and the reality may be that the JR kit isn't ready for market, very disappointing. :confused:

F

FOG

Dec 19, 2021
Orange County
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. w/Turbo
@Lil_Steve watch this first video, Jackson Racing has really dropped the ball and their customer service sucks (from at least one point of view). They seem to be unwilling to reinforce a simple turbo support bracket and replaced 'several' of them for this guy but refused to listen to his suggestion to add gussets to solve the problem.

Another serious problem - at anything above 2000 feet elevation, the JR turbo runs like crap (at 18 minutes in the video). I heard the same thing right after its introduction from another, forgotten, source. I understand that a huge part of the SxS community rides below that altitude but many others of us ride above it. JR refuses to address this monstrous oversight.

They got great press when introduced and tons of Talon owners were hungry for moar powah. JR seemed to be the answer and they were endorsed by Honda - so they looked like a winner. Jump ahead 18 months and the reality may be that the JR kit isn't ready for market, very disappointing. :confused:
This appears to be old news.
When I bought my Jackson Racing turbo kit in October of 21, I was told that the 2000 foot elevation issue was fixed and had been included in the flash tool for some time.
I also received a stronger header/turbo mount bracket that requires you to drill two holes in the motor mount. I was told that Honda’s original requirement was no modifications to the Talon so that’s why the first bracket was designed without drilling.
On a side note my son installed one of the early JR turbo kits with the older bracket on his 2019 R and has not had an issue.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Update: purchased the KW turbo kit, expecting delivery around mid to end of April.

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
there is no major problems with the jackson kit. the broken brackets were most likely installed with to much tension. i have one of the first kits and have 0 issues

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I have the JR system. yes I would do it again. the JR air filter is JUNK and in a terrible location.
I have just over 3K miles on mine. and just shy of 7k on the machine.
I have been up to 11K and down to 700, no issues really. I live in AZ and get a lot of desert riding.
in the mountains in northern AZ the car is a lot to handle if driving aggressively, to the point a stock machine might actually be faster.
I don't have a cracked header. I change oil every 2K with valvoline atv/utv oil.
my only complaint is the air filter. I have a Donaldson one dual stage and it's been great for 1200 miles.

I suspect both kits will be great options. and it's how the R should have come from Honda. both will serve you well.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I have the JR system. yes I would do it again. the JR air filter is JUNK and in a terrible location.
I have been up to 11K and down to 700, no issues really. I live in AZ and get a lot of desert riding.
in the mountains in northern AZ the car is a lot to handle if driving aggressively, to the point a stock machine might actually be faster.
I don't have a cracked header. I change oil every 2K with valvoline atv/utv oil.
my only complaint is the air filter. I have a Donaldson one dual stage and it's been great for 1200 miles.

I suspect both kits will be great options. and it's how the R should have come from Honda. both will serve you well.
Hey thanks for the reply! I ended up with the Kraft werks turbo kit. I'm really excited and looking forward to it!

You mentioned it's a bit much in the mountain trails, how so? I ride a lot of tight trails that open up every so often and or you come out of a trail and have to climb a massive steep hill with little to no run. Thinking it'd really benefit me getting around with some more spunk.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Hey thanks for the reply! I ended up with the Kraft werks turbo kit. I'm really excited and looking forward to it!

You mentioned it's a bit much in the mountain trails, how so? I ride a lot of tight trails that open up every so often and or you come out of a trail and have to climb a massive steep hill with little to no run. Thinking it'd really benefit me getting around with some more spunk.

With aggressive driving, it's more power than you can effectively put to ground. the car will turn drift with out much effort.
Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure I'll treat you well.

Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo

I have the Jackson Racing turbo (dealer installed in October 2021) and I love it so far. I got the turbo primarily for increasing power in the sand dunes, but it wasnt installed yet in the one trip I have been able make to the dunes so far with the Talon. Its a 6 hr drive to get there from home, but I have had the turbo on for some trail riding and I am very happy so far. I also wasnt pleased with the filter location so I made some modification and installed the S&B particle separator - I think the install/mods went well and should provide a much cleaner intake than stock:
47A583E1 967F 4FBC 9C00 AC3566B37382
D4FB9C03 049B 4EB6 BAA1 D544A61E5A9F
0E5A0E44 7631 489C 8CC0 69278CBDF8C5

the pictures are with the splash shield removed so you can see the air filter and my adapter to seal the Jackson filter housing to the particle separator runner. It took some modifications to do it, but the intake path no longer pulls air from the wheel well area.
Like I said I haven't had the turbo to the dunes yet, but it seems to work well when I can open it up on the straightaways out on the trails.
So far I would definitely recommend it and one area I really like is that the Jackson turbo is covered on my warranty from Honda. (This is the reason I purchased thru the Honda dealer and had them install it).

Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I have the Jackson Racing turbo (dealer installed in October 2021) and I love it so far. I got the turbo primarily for increasing power in the sand dunes, but it wasnt installed yet in the one trip I have been able make to the dunes so far with the Talon. Its a 6 hr drive to get there from home, but I have had the turbo on for some trail riding and I am very happy so far. I also wasnt pleased with the filter location so I made some modification and installed the S&B particle separator - I think the install/mods went well and should provide a much cleaner intake than stock:
View attachment 322212View attachment 322213View attachment 322214
the pictures are with the splash shield removed so you can see the air filter and my adapter to seal the Jackson filter housing to the particle separator runner. It took some modifications to do it, but the intake path no longer pulls air from the wheel well area.
Like I said I haven't had the turbo to the dunes yet, but it seems to work well when I can open it up on the straightaways out on the trails.
So far I would definitely recommend it and one area I really like is that the Jackson turbo is covered on my warranty from Honda. (This is the reason I purchased thru the Honda dealer and had them install it).
the separator will help but you'll still dust your engine if you run in dusty areas. I've already learned that one the hard way. I did the same thing. S&B before the JR filter. and 1200 miles later dusted. JR said lack of maintenance, but the filter looked clean as can be.
here is my setup now. and has been for a few thousand miles.
Air filter

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
yea the filtration system for the jackson is a pos. i put in a donaldson filter housing and ran a custom snorkel to the roof to dodge the dust a bit. very happy with that setup. last filter change was over 1200 miles with little to no dirt in it it. but the jackson one you could plant a garden in it after 200 miles

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!