BOX1

Talon Turbo

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can anyone tell me if there will be a tune for PV3 for the Jackson kit? What is the warranty on the Jackson kit? Is there a downside to using the Trinity exhaust with the kit? Sorry for all the questions, JR has nothing on their site about the Talon Turbo.

H

HondaTech

The warranty is a year from Jackson.
We've been told that the tune from Jackson is not happy with aftermarket exhaust. I would wager that tuning it yourself with a PV3 would void any warranty their giving.

The injectors are bigger so the unless your tuning with an O2 sensor, there wouldnt be anyway to verify injector output. Since dynojet's numbers are referencing stock injector opening time.

If I planned on wanting to push for more power, I'd wait and see if Dynojet or someone can drop a tune based on the turbo.

Trust me, out of the box it's a bad b**** as it is.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
The warranty is a year from Jackson.
We've been told that the tune from Jackson is not happy with aftermarket exhaust. I would wager that tuning it yourself with a PV3 would void any warranty their giving.

The injectors are bigger so the unless your tuning with an O2 sensor, there wouldnt be anyway to verify injector output. Since dynojet's numbers are referencing stock injector opening time.

If I planned on wanting to push for more power, I'd wait and see if Dynojet or someone can drop a tune based on the turbo.

Trust me, out of the box it's a bad b**** as it is.
I was just hoping that DynoJet would offer up the tune for those of us that use their product and now would like Turbo. I’m not qualified to build my own tune. So does the Jackson tuner have to stay in place or is it a flash and remove deal? Really wish they would put some info up on their site.
Ive read conflicting reports on exhaust, I’ve read exhaust that keeps the stock header is fine and I’ve read no aftermarket exhaust. I certainly hope that aftermarket slip ons will work so it can sound as good as it runs.

H

HondaTech

The provided tuner is a flash and remove, no need to keep it plugged in. It does have a "dash" on screen that's would be cool to integrate somewhere in the Talon, but without knowing if its water proof I would be hesitant to do so.

The lack of info is pretty crazy, I dont know who does marketing for those guys but its lacking.

The kit bolts onto the stock muffler flange (2 bolts with springs), so any exhaust that bolts to that flange should be ok. The stock muffler and mount for it is not disturbed at all during install. They use the stock mid pipe hanger as well to hang their muffler to turbo mid pipe.

It's a pretty easy install, we thought at first we would need to remove the bed plate (pretty easy as well, atleast with a stock cage) but found out its not neccessary. The hardest part was installing the lower mount for the turbo support rod on the OEM motor mount. With stock skid plates it would've been easier, we just remove the mount to engine bolts and held it up with a pry bar to get the hardware in.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
The provided tuner is a flash and remove, no need to keep it plugged in. It does have a "dash" on screen that's would be cool to integrate somewhere in the Talon, but without knowing if its water proof I would be hesitant to do so.

The lack of info is pretty crazy, I dont know who does marketing for those guys but its lacking.

The kit bolts onto the stock muffler flange (2 bolts with springs), so any exhaust that bolts to that flange should be ok. The stock muffler and mount for it is not disturbed at all during install. They use the stock mid pipe hanger as well to hang their muffler to turbo mid pipe.

It's a pretty easy install, we thought at first we would need to remove the bed plate (pretty easy as well, atleast with a stock cage) but found out its not neccessary. The hardest part was installing the lower mount for the turbo support rod on the OEM motor mount. With stock skid plates it would've been easier, we just remove the mount to engine bolts and held it up with a pry bar to get the hardware in.
Thanks for all the info. I’ve had to put a new frame on mine already so I know every nut, bolt and fastener on this thing lol.
I guess my PV3 could just stay in place and be extra guages!
How do you like the turbo so far? Do you feel it adds power where you need it or is it just good for top end power?
I’m kinda torn on this thing, I have already done the exhaust and tuner so that may be $$$ out the window. I mainly ride trails in KY and TN and don’t feel underpowered at all but we go to MI sand dunes a couple times a year and also Moab trip once per year where I feel like I want more power.

H

HondaTech

We installed our first kit on my general manager's R.

I haven't driven it, but did ride in it for some runs in our parking lot. Its more than I'd think you'd ever need in a SXS. The power is so broad with the DCT, the trans keeps the engine in the "meat". Unlike a belt machine, which just "goes" the Talon is so much more of a handful.

Hes riding it today at Haspin to get some seat time before a race on the 19th.

Check out the videos I posted into this thread: Talon - Jackson Racing Turbo Update

We dont currently have a 2nd kit yet, but we are trying to sell enough kits ($20k worth of orders) to get a lower price on them. It would eliminate the shipping cost and allow us to sell them at a better price. I believe they've decided to charge around $340 for install, about 4 hours.

Keep in mind his suspension is softer than stock, that's causing the squatting and packing a front wheel around corners.

Reactions: Glock21user and CID
C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
We installed our first kit on my general manager's R.

I haven't driven it, but did ride in it for some runs in our parking lot. Its more than I'd think you'd ever need in a SXS. The power is so broad with the DCT, the trans keeps the engine in the "meat". Unlike a belt machine, which just "goes" the Talon is so much more of a handful.

Hes riding it today at Haspin to get some seat time before a race on the 19th.

Check out the videos I posted into this thread: Talon - Jackson Racing Turbo Update

We dont currently have a 2nd kit yet, but we are trying to sell enough kits ($20k worth of orders) to get a lower price on them. It would eliminate the shipping cost and allow us to sell them at a better price. I believe they've decided to charge around $340 for install, about 4 hours.

Keep in mind his suspension is softer than stock, that's causing the squatting and packing a front wheel around corners.
Are you on FB too? If so PM me Cuda Tim, I may have HOF install it but I’m not ready to buy until May-June. I already watched the vid on FB. I’m struggling with the decision based on mods I’ve already done!

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
I dont have a facebook, but the dealership does. We're still waiting on info on our 2nd kit, not sure what availability will be like in the coming months.

If you visit our website, you can also send a service request for info and our service manager can get back to you on it.

Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/honda.fairfield/

Service Info Request: Service Quote Request Honda of Fairfield Fairfield, OH (513) 858-1000
I may stop out Monday and talk about it, it’s a lot of cash to drop so I want to make sure I have all the info!

H

HondaTech

Yes, almost a 1/4 of the price of the unit. Feel free to stop by anytime, I'm not sure if my GMs machine will be back in the building Monday. But if it is, I'm sure he wouldn't mind letting you see it.

Last edited:
C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, almost a 1/4 of the price of the unit. Feel free to stop by anytime, I'm not sure if my GMs machine will be back in the building Monday. But if it is, I'm sure he wouldn't mind letting you see it.
Thanks for the info!

082A24AB 1897 4366 85DC FE8F4BDE566A

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Two posts on FB today of engines blowing on first ride after installing turbo. One of the guys for sure had it installed, he posted videos of it few days ago. Both sounded like they were running way too lean and melted pistons. Curious how your GM’s ride went today!

C

Cwilds

Dec 26, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Cuda68 what page on facebook?

H

HondaTech

Two posts on FB today of engines blowing on first ride after installing turbo. One of the guys for sure had it installed, he posted videos of it few days ago. Both sounded like they were running way too lean and melted pistons. Curious how your GM’s ride went today!

He posted a picture about 4 hours ago headed home, said it was great day of testing.

I would wager that something was done incorrectly or installed improperly. After we got his installed and flashed, we allowed it idle for a bit. Then it got flogged that night and the next morning. Its probably safe to say his is going to be ok.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
He posted a picture about 4 hours ago headed home, said it was great day of testing.

Do you know if the speed limiter can be removed/adjusted with the provided tuner? It would suck to have all that power on tap only to hit a wall at 75mph.

H

HondaTech

Do you know if the speed limiter can be removed/adjusted with the provided tuner? It would suck to have all that power on tap only to hit a wall at 75mph.

I dont know, we couldnt get above about 55mph indicated speed in our parking lot.

I would hope its adjusted to eliminated, but honestly I don't know around us where anyone would need that much speed anyways.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I dont know, we couldnt get above about 55mph indicated speed in our parking lot.

I would hope its adjusted to eliminated, but honestly I don't know around us where anyone would need that much speed anyways.

I could see how it would get me into more trouble than not, we've got a lot of wide open space out here in the southwest. There's probably no good reason I need more power than what I have, but when has that ever stopped anyone. :cool:

H

HondaTech

I could see how it would get me into more trouble than not, we've got a lot of wide open space out here in the southwest. There's probably no good reason I need more power than what I have, but when has that ever stopped anyone. :cool:

First night we got her together around midnight, I was holding the tuner and @ 47mph in 4wd, he was still sawing at the steering wheel to keep it straight. It's insane how it feels, due to the shift tuning and the immediate/broad power.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

I would wager that something was done incorrectly or installed improperly. After we got his installed and flashed, we allowed it idle for a bit. Then it got flogged that night and the next morning. Its probably safe to say his is going to be ok.
This is the inevitable downside of not offering a factory turbo. When I would go to service schools and updates I would always leave shaking my head after seeing and hearing other folks "methods" of troubleshooting and repairs, let alone average do-it-yourselfers. I think Honda will discover this.

Reactions: Ddoggy and Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!