Turkey day 2018

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It's that time of the year to blow the dust off our cookers and deep fry a turkey, what's everyone's go to method. This will be my first year frying one I am picking up an indoor unit tomorrow from home depot the Butterball XL.

I normally smoke one one my egg and have a family member fry one for me, I decided it's high time I step up and fry it my damn self, whats a slap yo mama recipe for an injection marinade?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's that time of the year to blow the dust off our cookers and deep fry a turkey, what's everyone's go to method. This will be my first year frying one I am picking up an indoor unit tomorrow from home depot the Butterball XL.

I normally smoke one one my egg and have a family member fry one for me, I decided it's high time I step up and fry it my damn self, whats a slap yo mama recipe for an injection marinade?
Zatarans or Tony chacheres creole butter injection marinade

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Been frying for probably 15+ years. It's the best. Last 8+ years we go to Charlotte area where both our kids and grandkids are. Thursday is beer, turkey, cornhole, football and nap. Friday is beer, bowling, wings, football and nap. Saturday is beer (early) , smoked ribs, smoked meatballs, smoked cream cheese, French fries, alot of different dips, Ohio State vs. Michigan, ( Go Buckeyes ) , more football, and nap.

Best long weekend all year. Well not counting the Takeover.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Been smoking the turkey the last few years. Three hours on the smoker at very low heat and a lot of smoke laid to it. Then I put it in an oven bag and finish it off in the oven (2-3 hours usually) so that it remains moist and juicy. IMO it will be dry and too smoky if it’s cooked on the smoker the whole way through.

77048E10 A8F2 4F35 B3F0 F92730C30918

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been spatchcocking our turkeys and smoking them lately. We put it in a 5 gallon bucket and brine it from frozen for upwards of a week while it thaws. Take it out, use tree loppers to cut the back and breast bone out. Once you have it cut in half, it cooks in no time. I have an electric smoker that looks like a fridge. So a whole turkey won't fit in it.

Btw, tree loppers were purchased and only used for cutting the turkey. Poultry scissors are not enough to get thru a turkey.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have been spatchcocking our turkeys and smoking them lately. We put it in a 5 gallon bucket and brine it from frozen for upwards of a week while it thaws. Take it out, use tree loppers to cut the back and breast bone out. Once you have it cut in half, it cooks in no time. I have an electric smoker that looks like a fridge. So a whole turkey won't fit in it.

Btw, tree loppers were purchased and only used for cutting the turkey. Poultry scissors are not enough to get thru a turkey.
We've been spatchcocking for a few years now, only way to go in our opinion.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Been frying for probably 15+ years. It's the best. Last 8+ years we go to Charlotte area where both our kids and grandkids are. Thursday is beer, turkey, cornhole, football and nap. Friday is beer, bowling, wings, football and nap. Saturday is beer (early) , smoked ribs, smoked meatballs, smoked cream cheese, French fries, alot of different dips, Ohio State vs. Michigan, ( Go Buckeyes ) , more football, and nap.

Best long weekend all year. Well not counting the Takeover.

Smoked cream cheese that's a new one to me I love cream cheese but smoked I will try an find some.

Reactions: BWAF
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

I have been wanting to spatchcock a chicken didn't think about doing it to a turkey interesting method. For the brine I searched high and low for a brine bucket I saw one on amazon it has a lid to keep the meat under the water do you weigh yours down? Do you add ice to your brine or room temperature?

Reactions: BWAF and Neohio
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Zatarans or Tony chacheres creole butter injection marinade

I cooked 2 breasts yesterday one with tony's creole butter the other with the garlic herb they were great. My wifes uncle swears by Tabasco injecting with straight up Tabasco thats the only turkey that gets picked clean out of the injected 3 he does. Tonight I have a breast thawing and when i get home will inject and fry with Tabasco.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been wanting to spatchcock a chicken didn't think about doing it to a turkey interesting method. For the brine I searched high and low for a brine bucket I saw one on amazon it has a lid to keep the meat under the water do you weigh yours down? Do you add ice to your brine or room temperature?
I just use a regular 5 gallon bucket. I buy a brand new one every year and scrub it clean before using. I leave it in my garage and add ice as needed. I am in ohio, so outside temps hover below 35F.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
gch1911

gch1911

Lifetime Member
May 3, 2018
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 700-2

We normally smoke a turkey on the Traeger grill, but thought we would try something new this year lol....
Turkey

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!