Multi Turn Signals integrated into tail lights.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok guys I'm working on getting my Pioneer more street legal. Plus I think it would be nice to have turn signals even on the trail. I bought a cheap universal blinker and horn kit off eBay. I decided to do all this myself instead of buying an overpriced all inclusive kit. I'm using 2 round amber LED's on each side for the front. I would like to integrate the turn signals in the rear into the brake lights. I wired up the horn and front turn signals without issue. I haven't drilled the holes yet but I hooked everything up and it worked perfect.
Now I am brain storming on the rear. I did some research and found that my best option to accomplish this is using a LED trailer harness. Here is a diagram that i found that will help however it isn't LED.
Upload 2017 1 11 10 33 51
So I'm thinking that I can cut the the brake light and running light wires to both lights. Insert the side from the machine going into the left side of the diagram (Tail light wire to Tail light and Brake light wire to Brake light). I will then run a tail light wire to each light and obviously the turn/brake light to its respective side.
Upload 2017 1 11 10 50 4

What do you guys think? Am I missing something? Has anyone actually tried this on a Pioneer? I've looked quite a bit but I can't find where someone actually did it on a Pioneer.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks to me like that should work fine. Very good idea, and makes it better then the running separate leds that someone "might" notice.

Reactions: Biteme
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Looks to me like that should work fine. Very good idea, and makes it better then the running separate leds that someone "might" notice.
Thanks man. I've wanted turn signals for a while just never was a big fan of adding on LEDs to the rear. There are a couple of people selling complete kits for integrated tail lights but I'm not paying $300+. If this works I'll have less than $100 in it including the horn.

Reactions: Biteme and tjoreo
eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
One quick question, in the tail lamp do the same LED's function as the tail and brake currently, or are there two rows in there?

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
One quick question, in the tail lamp do the same LED's function as the tail and brake currently, or are there two rows in there?
I'd have to look to be certain (I'm not at home) but I'm pretty sure there is one row of lights that do both.

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Where did you find that little box? I don't see why it wouldn't work the way you have it drawn out, but I'd like to know more about it. I don't think it would have a flasher built into it. I guess it just has diodes in it to prevent back flow? and somehow it forces the brake to flash when the signal is on at the same time..

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks man. I've wanted turn signals for a while just never was a big fan of adding on LEDs to the rear. There are a couple of people selling complete kits for integrated tail lights but I'm not paying $300+. If this works I'll have less than $100 in it including the horn.
I'm not saying it is going to work, but that it is a good Idea. Looks to me like a very ingenious way to make it work. I'm in the same boat I didn't want to pay the outrageous price for a universal kit and really didn't want to rely on small leds in the rear. I had mystic make me a spot for turn signals on my switch panel and even have a turn signal switch installed but just didn't know how to make it different then everything else you see and safer in the long run. This should work very well. I don't know if you have the service manual but I'll see if I can attach a screen shot. Looks like the green/yellow at the light or blue/black at the connector go to brake/stop switch and the brown is taillights. But you probably knew that.

Upload 2017 1 11 10 39 24

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Where did you find that little box? I don't see why it wouldn't work the way you have it drawn out, but I'd like to know more about it. I don't think it would have a flasher built into it. I guess it just has diodes in it to prevent back flow? and somehow it forces the brake to flash when the signal is on at the same time..
A flasher came with the kit I bought so I'm good there. The box is a standard box you use on a trailer. I bought this one: Amazon.com: Hopkins 48895 Incandescent LED Taillight Converter: Automotive.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is something I have done in both of my previous pioneers and learned you want to go with the powered converter for the taillights otherwise they can do weird stuff

Edit speak to text was horrible

Last edited:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is used on vehicles that have a separate circuit for tail lights and a separate circuit for brake lights when wanting to connect to a trailer. I have a toyota tacoma and had to install one I got from the local NAPA store. Essentially landpioneer is making the tail lights work like trailer lights.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm not saying it is going to work, but that it is a good Idea. Looks to me like a very ingenious way to make it work. I'm in the same boat I didn't want to pay the outrageous price for a universal kit and really didn't want to rely on small leds in the rear. I had mystic make me a spot for turn signals on my switch panel and even have a turn signal switch installed but just didn't know how to make it different then everything else you see and safer in the long run. This should work very well. I don't know if you have the service manual but I'll see if I can attach a screen shot. Looks like the green/yellow at the light or blue/black at the connector go to brake/stop switch and the brown is taillights. But you probably knew that.

View attachment 30829
Yes sir I do have the manual. I also was able to figure out the wiring colors. I'll cut after the harness and splice the brown and green/yellows together and go into the brake and tail light of the converter. I guess we'll see if it works. I have thought through it enough to feel 60% comfortable Lol.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
This is something I have done in both of my previous pioneers in learned you want to go without powered converter for the taillights otherwise they can to do weird stuff
Good deal because the one I bought isn't powered. See anything wrong with what I've laid out CP?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was 90% before @CumminsPusher comment. So is he saying this is a good idea or bad. If he gives it the green light I'll be 100%

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sorry speak to text was horrible on that! I reworded it. It looks good but you do want powered because it just uses everything as a signal. I tried two different units that weren't powered and the lights were dim and flickered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah I think that's the exact one I used. I'm not sure why the non powered didn't work but I had no luck. I know they're a little more expensive and I tried getting around it

Reactions: LandPioneer
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Scratch what I just said. Like I said what cp says is the gospel.

Really?? Just find a powered unit. There's probably other cheaper brands that will work fine. It sucks to do something twice that's all I'm suggesting

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!