Tusk low profile roof?

R

ronb47

Nov 14, 2018
US
Has anyone installed the Tusk low profile roof from Rocky Mtn? It's a two piece flat aluminum that mounts almost right on top of the cage. I like the low profile as I have a pretty tight clearance problem getting into my toy hauler. Would like to hear any pro's or con's if anyone has any experience with it? I'm goosey of reviews on dealer websites.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the tusk Profile roof, I don't think its called low profile, but it is kind of low profile.

I haven't had any problems so far with it, here are a few comments:
  • it sits down right on top of the cage. this is good for clearance, but is a pain sometimes. I added the fabric mid panel after the roof and I had to take the roof partially off to get it installed. not a big deal really. I think it adds less than 1" in height, but I would have to measure that to be sure.
  • it has a cutout at the B pillar (see second pic) that I was worried about dumping water on me. I sealed it with some gorilla seal tape (not duct tape) Gorilla Sealant Tape and so far that has worked great
  • All the bolts penetrate the roof so I sealed them with black silicone. not sure if this was necessary but I didn't want any drips developing I also put the silicone on the seam between the two pieces
  • clamps for the roof interfere with the SATV windshield clamps. I had to make a bracket for the top of the windshield to get them to work together. not a big deal. see third pic
  • I wish the front didn't have the arc cutout. it would overlap the windshield nicely if it was straight. I may add a piece this winter to fix that
  • its easy to mount things to. I have mounted speakers and a two way radio directly to the roof
  • its been pretty tough so far. have used it as a tree slider several times and it hasn't damaged it yet
  • I have stood on it trimming trees in my yard, trying to stay near the supports. Not sure you could jump on it in the middle. I have thrown tripod legs and other stuff up there to move it at the hunting lease.
Overall I think it was a good buy.

IMG 3901
IMG 3902
IMG 3903
IMG 4064 2
IMG 3939

R

ronb47

Nov 14, 2018
US
Joely, Hey, thanks for the feedback and pics! I'm guessing you're pretty good with doing mods when needed, as am I. Your rig looks great and it didn't sound too difficult to work around the issues. I've got an SATV split windshield as well and was concerned about that as well. Again, thanks for the help.
Ron

R

ronb47

Nov 14, 2018
US
Joey, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the Tusk roof. Haven't recieved it yet. I've also got the SATV windshield and would like to know the details on what the bracket you fabbed to solve the interference problem?
Thanks again for the head's up
Ron

Reactions: Smitty335
R

rickoshea

i just installed mine,it was 3 pieces and the center front clamp was right where my oem full windshield center clamp is so i just took the center windshield clamp off.it looks like it will be easier to just leave the windshield clamps installed permanently when i switch to my half shield in the spring.i also mounted my soundbar directly to the roof.i went down to the local hardware and picked up a roll of 1" foam weatherstripping and sealed it up as well as possible,not likely to keep all the snow out but it's a good start.i can't get mine into my shop with an oem hard roof and my tracks on,it's about 5" too tall,now i should just clear the door...i hope.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Joey, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the Tusk roof. Haven't recieved it yet. I've also got the SATV windshield and would like to know the details on what the bracket you fabbed to solve the interference problem?
Thanks again for the head's up
Ron

Its pretty simple, just a piece of angle that i had. I think it was piece of 1.5" x 3/16", but l am not 100% on that. you could probably use 1/8" and be OK. the angle needed is a little more than 90deg so you need to open up the angle a little.
I just used the mount point for the netting (more on this in a minute) and the slot on the windshield bracket where the clamp attached. Drill some holes and there it is... I originally tapped the upper hole, but dont do it that way. You cant access it after the roof is on w/o removing the windshield.

I will be reworking mine a bit next weekend.
the lower bolt is too small (i think 6mm, cant remember) and it sheared off on my last ride.
All the rocky road riding at the hunting camp is hard on this stuff. I think it just flexed back and forth too many times and then snapped.
For the V2 bracket i will be changing the upper allen head screw (tapped hole in the bracket) to a hex bolt and nylock nut. Also i will try to come up with a way to increase the lower bolt size and still use the tab on the cage. Maybe drill it out and replace with a larger bolt and nut? Not really sure yet. Ill post some updates on it when i finish it.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK @ronb47 here is the updated bracket.

3/16" angle

I used 8x20mm bolts for both upper and lower with lock nuts
i also used a fender washer on top
the holes are 3/8" for both. this is a little sloppy but works fine.

im not too happy with the lower bolt. i will probably have to revisit it later.
when drilling out the captured nut i couldnt get exactly straight due to my speaker being in the way. so i ended up drilling through the side of it (see the 4th pic). this will probably fail eventually and i will have to remove the rest of the old captured nut. I just didnt have time to do it last weekend.

if you want to just keep the lower bolt as a 6mm its a bit easier to deal with. you may not shear it depending on where and how you ride

if you have any specific questions let me know

IMG 4784
IMG 4786
IMG 4791
IMG 4790
IMG 4789

R

ronb47

Nov 14, 2018
US
Joey, hey, thanks for the update and pics! They help alot.
Ron

R

ronb47

Nov 14, 2018
US
I'm very satisfied. It solves numerous issues the plastic ones have.
Ron

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!