U-Joint failed.

Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

Dec 22, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
The weather finally cooperated so I went for a ride today. 2019 Talon X with 84 miles on her from two short rides during the winter. We rode from the house to get out to the desert, around 9 miles. We hit the trail and made it around 6 miles. I turned at a junction and hammered it up to 60 mph on a straight away. At 60 we heard a pop that sounded like a front axle. I knew it should not be as I was in 2 wheel drive. We pulled over, checked a few things but could not find the issue. I got back in and drove slowly and that is when I seen the drive shaft through the shifter gate, wobbling bad. Got back out and looked up inside and could see the u-joint cap was missing. Luckily I found the cap and all the bearings laying on the skid plate. No idea where the clip went, if there ever was one. I put everything back together and used a key ring to keep the cap from falling out again on the way home. Worked fine and the machine is now at the dealer getting a new u-joint and the recall done for the parking pin. I hope this is the only issue I have. From some of the threads on here, it really seems Honda's reliability has gone down hill. At 115 miles and in the shop all ready has me starting to wonder.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have seen a few of them puke out the clip. You'll actually get a whole new driveshaft. Honda only services it as an assembly.

Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

Dec 22, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
That is good to hear. I was worried about how easy the cap slid back in.

So is it a defect and the new driveshaft fixes the issue, or is this something that could happen again and I should plan on being prepared to have it happen again?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
It has been reported by a few (like 2 or 3) and all have had the driveline replaced under warranty. Personally, I believe the clips were improperly installed or missing from the factory but that is only my opinion because u-joint clips just don't come off easily, especially by themeselves.

I have 2000 miles and all 8 of my clips are there. HondaBob has 12,000 miles on his machine and his driveline is original and I believe he has had zero warranty repairs.

For piece of mind, see if the dealer will let you inspect the driveshaft before they install it. If they agree, check for loose or missing clips an make absolutely sure each clip is all the way in it's groove. If all looks good, have them install it and you should be good to go.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Agree with Paul. Have not heard of anyone having an issue after the warranty work was performed. There is an aftermarket U joint number that is compatible. The 338 or 838 are direct replacements. The difference in these 2 numbers is the 338 has the grease zerk in the body and the 838 has it in a cap. For the little cost I'll buy a couple just to have on hand.

Reactions: CID
M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
we have 3000 miles on ours and only lost the 2 front diff seals and 1 sub tranny output seal all fixed with no questions asked

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@PaulF & @TerryH are spot on, there have been a couple that I've heard of with this issue and they have all been on machines with very low miles. Most likely a manufacturing defect with either the U-joint or during assembly. Also, I would bet that Honda doesn't make the driveshaft themselves, it most likely comes from a vendor (outside supplier) already assembled...... Dana, American Axle, etc.

@TerryH , thanks for posting the U-joint part number, I'm going to pick up a couple myself just to have on hand.

Reactions: Enigma
Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

Dec 22, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks guys, good information. My feeling is the clip was never installed. I have never seen one just fall out for no reason. I guess it is good it happened now and not some place like Moab, which I had been planning on hitting in May until this virus hit. I guess I will have to get the Arctic Cat trail out and go play until I get my Talon back.

Thanks for the part numbers. 👍

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
When you get it back from the dealer put a single tack weld on all 8 caps. That will keep them from ever being a problem again. We do this to front axle joints on rock crawlers to keep them from popping out. Works awesome and does not affect the driveshaft or joints in the least.

Reactions: Plumber32
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
When you get it back from the dealer put a single tack weld on all 8 caps. That will keep them from ever being a problem again. We do this to front axle joints on rock crawlers to keep them from popping out. Works awesome and does not affect the driveshaft or joints in the least.
According to some of your other threads, you are not concerned about your warranty but some might be a little more inclined to rely on Honda's warranty more than you so...

This is a great idea AFTER one's warranty is expired. If you tack weld them and they fail within the remaining warranty period, Honda can say the heat from the weld ruined the joint and deny a claim concerning the shaft and they won't warranty it. In other words, Honda would be giving you the shaft by not giving you the shaft :).

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Reactions: jasond
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you put enough heat into a tack weld to ruin the joint, you fu@%$d up. If you do it and the joint fails again, you fu@%$d up. So after tack welding the caps and solving the driveshaft issue, what would be the warranty claim that Honda denies?

I choose to be proactive. I'd rather not have to bring my machine to the dealer and be without it over every small problem I encounter. YMMV

RTP

RTP

Apr 20, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well my u joint clip/cap just came out and is now headed to the dealer. I only have 425 miles on mine went it went out. I just hope the one they replace it with does not have the same issue. I was lucky, it decided to let loose close to the camper were we were staying after a full day ride in WV.

• Angry
Reactions: Montecresto
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well my u joint clip/cap just came out and is now headed to the dealer. I only have 425 miles on mine went it went out. I just hope the one they replace it with does not have the same issue. I was lucky, it decided to let loose close to the camper were we were staying after a full day ride in WV.
It's not going to be any different. Their machining of the yolks for the caps is terrible. Some last some don't. Tack welding the caps is the permanent fix that won't leave you stranded out on the trail where the Honda warranty is useless.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Have seen a few of them puke out the clip. You'll actually get a whole new driveshaft. Honda only services it as an assembly.
Do you know, Was there a string of bad drive shafts? Is there serial number info that might indicate susceptible machines. Do you think with 1500 miles and no problems my Talon would be ok...? Thanks Terry

Reactions: TerryH
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I went 15,000 miles on my original drive shaft. The replacement failed in a bit less then 3,000 miles. I check it at every oil change now. I also think the caps are not a press fit and I plan on doing the tack weld on my next one. You can see the loose cap in the video that let the C clip wear into the yoke. Fortunately I only had 4 miles to go on the 2nd drive shaft and just drove at 10 mph.

U joint5

Attachments

• U-joint9.mp4
    1.6 MB
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I went 15,000 miles on my original drive shaft. The replacement failed in a bit less then 3,000 miles. I check it at every oil change now. I also think the caps are not a press fit and I plan on doing the tack weld on my next one. You can see the loose cap in the video that let the C clip wear into the yoke. Fortunately I only had 4 miles to go on the 2nd drive shaft and just drove at 10 mph.

View attachment 266158
Good catch!!

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Do you know, Was there a string of bad drive shafts? Is there serial number info that might indicate susceptible machines. Do you think with 1500 miles and no problems my Talon would be ok...? Thanks Terry
I saw several posts where the clips seemed ridiculously soft but don't know if it was just a bad run or what. No issue on my 19 X.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I saw several posts where the clips seemed ridiculously soft but don't know if it was just a bad run of what. No issue on my 19 X.
Ok, thanks...😎

Sawpilot

Sawpilot

Sep 6, 2018
West Virginia
barnwoodbuilds.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
I welded eight washers to my new driveshaft the washers fit inside to the U joint and welds to the yolk keeps the heat off the U joint, they’re touching the U joint Shouldn’t be able to move outward is the theory guess we will see
......It’s getting new driveshaft new tires oil change brake pads, just under 5000 miles it’s been a good one

1F6581B5 8CAC 4C53 8D32 E0B6063339BA D7769560 75B3 4D1D 967F 827CB10AE11A 35D1DB18 8B95 4C6F A5D0 8A723E306FA6

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!