BOX1

P500 Ultimate Superwinch Installation Guide

C

Craigmont

May 22, 2015
It appears some of the pics had their orientation changed from how I took them. Originally I wrote these procedures up in a word doc with very large pics attached and if anyone wants the docx or the pdf version emailed to them let me know. It's a much cleaner read. Thx!
Could you send me the docx version to [email protected] Thanks

jmcirilo

jmcirilo

Apr 29, 2016
Panama
It appears some of the pics had their orientation changed from how I took them. Originally I wrote these procedures up in a word doc with very large pics attached and if anyone wants the docx or the pdf version emailed to them let me know. It's a much cleaner read. Thx!

Hi JasonS... Would really appreciate if you could mail the instructions in pdf to [email protected] Thanks in advance. Still waiting for my sistem to be delivered.

L

lil_country

Feb 7, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Can you send me your instructions by email please. I'm installing mine on a Strongmade bumper, but I'm sure your instructions would be very helpful with the wiring since that is the part I will need help with. Thanks, [email protected]

O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
Jason, please send the PDF version to me. I am installing a 3500 on a strongmade bumper soon. I believe I'll mount the winch to the bumper prior to installing the bumper on the frame...this may be easier.
Email is [email protected]

N

NwBlanchard

Oct 18, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Please email me the complete version. I'm at [email protected]
thanks

GaryG

GaryG

Oct 20, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 500
How many feet of wire is needed to reach from the battery to the solenoid. I have 6 ft negative cable and 6 ft of positive cable + the 8” or so with the breakers. This is a harbor freight 3500 lb winch. If that’s not Enough wire what gauge wire do I need to get. And how many ft. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudder
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I don't remember exactly how long but 6' is to short. I got a 12' heavy duty jumper cables in 6 gage and cut the ends of and used it. It kept the wires together neatly and made it easy to run. I think to get from front crossbar under hood to batter took about 7.5-8'.

I started out with a Harbor Freight type winch but it was so slow under load I couldn't stand it so I got a Superwinch Terra 45 and used the wireless solenoid/control box from the Rural King backroad winch.

Reactions: HP5NC and GaryG
GaryG

GaryG

Oct 20, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 500
I don't remember exactly how long but 6' is to short. I got a 12' heavy duty jumper cables in 6 gage and cut the ends of and used it. It kept the wires together neatly and made it easy to run. I think to get from front crossbar under hood to batter took about 7.5-8'.

I started out with a Harbor Freight type winch but it was so slow under load I couldn't stand it so I got a Superwinch Terra 45 and used the wireless solenoid/control box from the Rural King backroad winch.

I have a old set of jumper cables. Not sure of the wire gauge I’ll see it it says on them. I think I need 10 ft. I hooked the two 6 ft cables together and measured the remainder.

What is the recommended or minimum wire gauge.

I bought the harbor freight because it was cheap, I’ll probably regret it later.

I just want it for occasional use. If I get stuck doing something stupid.
Or need to move a tree out of the way.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I have a old set of jumper cables. Not sure of the wire gauge I’ll see it it says on them. I think I need 10 ft. I hooked the two 6 ft cables together and measured the remainder.

What is the recommended or minimum wire gauge.

I bought the harbor freight because it was cheap, I’ll probably regret it later.

I just want it for occasional use. If I get stuck doing something stupid.
Or need to move a tree out of the way.

Remember to put a battery disconnect between the battery and the winch solenoid. If the Solenoid gets hot and sticks in the Energized position you will be glad you had it. Don't ask me how I know.:p

WB

GaryG

GaryG

Oct 20, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 500

I used a set of jumper cables like you did. Not sure of the gauge but it works. thank you for the idea.

Gary

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Think I used 10 ft of 6 ga. Used Bussman switched and waterproof breaker near battery, zip tied to cage behind passenger seat. Nice to be able to kill power to under hood connections during working on it. the actual pull rating depends on how many layers wrapped on spool, and max ratings are if almost all cable is spooled out. Overkill can be bad... Don't want to pull the mounting bracket off or damage a front suspension if stuck hard against rock or mud. Junction terminals nice as always adding something.

65B137A9 58BF 4CD7 9C0D 2E11803D27A5 3DF9920B 309F 4EAB 9C25 DEBFE26F1D18

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryG
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey. Go one step further and put in the $15 wireless remote. Super convenience. Works great. I had it working 200 ft from the winch!

H

H82Miss

Aug 5, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I just got a Terra 45 and have a couple wiring questions.
1st- Can I run the ground wire from the solenoid and ground it to the frame, or does it need to go all the way back and connect to the negative battery terminal? Can I run it to the frame ground location that is next to the battery box?
2nd- Can I run the positive wire from the solenoid, using the short piece of cable to the circuit breaker (mount the circuit breaker under the hood) and then run the longer cable to the positive battery terminal? Or am I required to have the circuit breaker closer to the battery?
3rd- I believe the cable that comes with the winch is 6g, can I use 4g? Reason being is I have some 4g lying around from a previous project.
Thanks for any input.

ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just got a Terra 45 and have a couple wiring questions.
1st- Can I run the ground wire from the solenoid and ground it to the frame, or does it need to go all the way back and connect to the negative battery terminal? Can I run it to the frame ground location that is next to the battery box?
2nd- Can I run the positive wire from the solenoid, using the short piece of cable to the circuit breaker (mount the circuit breaker under the hood) and then run the longer cable to the positive battery terminal? Or am I required to have the circuit breaker closer to the battery?
3rd- I believe the cable that comes with the winch is 6g, can I use 4g? Reason being is I have some 4g lying around from a previous project.
Thanks for any input.
1 - Yes. Easiest to ground to frame near the solenoid. Less wire, less risk of damage to wire.
2 - Yes, BUT, better to have the breaker closer to the battery. The closer it is to the battery the more it protects, since it does not protect between the battery and itself.
3 - Yes.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Why do you need the circuit breaker on the Superwinch? Warn winches don't come with one? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Fantastic find, this thread.
Sitting on top of a mountain and had all the gear shipped from Amazon to the RV park.

Was reading through the directions, which are not specific to any SideXside, and trying to sort out a plan.

Then I suddenly realized where I should look to see if anyone had pointers for the P500 and Superwinch kit.

Took seconds to find this thread. How EXACT can it get!?!? Awesome!

By the way, I removed the skid plates. Made it easier to do it perfect. Also installed the fuse-link up front with the solenoid.
And finally, I put the remote receptacle under the hood. Far easier to mount out of way, and I figure if I need to do remote winching, there's no reason it benefits being in cab.

Mounted a little bag under the hood to keep the remote in too.

Anyways, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Saved me scratching my head. 2da088d54bc0f9af0780fd634fb6ba34

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A

AdamD

Aug 15, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Jason, awesome instructions. Are you able to send me the PDF copy? Email is [email protected]. thanks!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!