BOX1

Talon Under hood storage box?

E

Erik1969

Sep 19, 2019
Missoula, MT
Ownership

1. Talon X
Has anyone tried one of these boxes? Honda Talon 1000 Underhood Storage Box at Side By Side Stuff
It looks to have decent storage and may help a bunch with the radiator heat in the cab?
Just got mine on monday, put it in and fits nice and snug, its pretty deep and will definitely hold some tools ot gear. I'm happy with it, probably a little over priced, I paid $134, should probably be $99. But, it is a great idea to fill the space and I'm glad I got it.

Reactions: stellarpod and MFG
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just got mine on monday, put it in and fits nice and snug, its pretty deep and will definitely hold some tools ot gear. I'm happy with it, probably a little over priced, I paid $134, should probably be $99. But, it is a great idea to fill the space and I'm glad I got it.
Thanks for the reply, I agree on the price but think I will order one anyway.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Has anyone tried one of these boxes? Honda Talon 1000 Underhood Storage Box at Side By Side Stuff
It looks to have decent storage and may help a bunch with the radiator heat in the cab?

Looks interesting. A couple of observations:

1) I wonder if such close proximity to the back of the radiator/fan might inhibit proper airflow through the radiator and therefore cause overheating problems?

2) From their photos, it appears they're using open-cell foam as a seal against the hood. That seems like a poor choice, as open-cell foam absorbs and holds water like a sponge.

Steve

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks interesting. A couple of observations:

1) I wonder if such close proximity to the back of the radiator/fan might inhibit proper airflow through the radiator and therefore cause overheating problems?

2) From their photos, it appears they're using open-cell foam as a seal against the hood. That seems like a poor choice, as open-cell foam absorbs and holds water like a sponge.

Steve
I agree with both statements. The foam is easily replaceable but, probably will not know on the overheating until summer time. If it does not over heat, it sure looks like it would block a bunch of the cab heat in the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: stellarpod
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree with both statements. The phone is easily replaceable but, probably will not know on the overheating until summer time. If it does not over heat, it sure looks like it would block a bunch of the cab heat in the summer.

I'll be quite interested in hearing your results. Please post when you've come to some conclusions.

Steve

jtsticks3

jtsticks3

Jul 1, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I agree with both statements. The foam is easily replaceable but, probably will not know on the overheating until summer time. If it does not over heat, it sure looks like it would block a bunch of the cab heat in the summer.
Any update?

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I installed mine about 400 miles ago, and loaded it up with a pair of heavy shackles, a tree saver, and a 20' strap; there's still decent room to spare for other stuff. I didn't bother with the foam because it is a really bad joke . . . like a hooker with a penis level of bad. There was surprisingly little dust inside despite the lack of foam, much less than my storage stuff in the back. While bashing through the Utah desert, I have not noticed any cooling issues, the gauge stays in the middle. I wouldn't expect any cooling issues with a 7-8" air gap between the trunk and the radiator. Concerning the hoped for effect of minimizing hot air entry into the cab, there doesn't appear to be any reduction in that, seems hot air mostly enters through the shifter hole. The trunk appears sturdy, it's holding the cargo without any rattles, and no noticeable wear or cracking.

Yes, it's expensive, but what add-on isn't overpriced for SxSs? This one appears to work, at least, and ensures I always have recovery equipment handy.

Talon trunk

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
I installed mine about 400 miles ago, and loaded it up with a pair of heavy shackles, a tree saver, and a 20' strap; there's still decent room to spare for other stuff. I didn't bother with the foam because it is a really bad joke . . . like a hooker with a penis level of bad. There was surprisingly little dust inside despite the lack of foam, much less than my storage stuff in the back. While bashing through the Utah desert, I have not noticed any cooling issues, the gauge stays in the middle. I wouldn't expect any cooling issues with a 7-8" air gap between the trunk and the radiator. Concerning the hoped for effect of minimizing hot air entry into the cab, there doesn't appear to be any reduction in that, seems hot air mostly enters through the shifter hole. The trunk appears sturdy, it's holding the cargo without any rattles, and no noticeable wear or cracking.

Yes, it's expensive, but what add-on isn't overpriced for SxSs? This one appears to work, at least, and ensures I always have recovery equipment handy.

View attachment 219291
Nice job. I would do it but I had a battery there and I have to worry about heat so I tried to heat shield as best possible

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
For Me the front box was a must next to the 10 gal. Tank one of the best things to start with. I added an aluminum fire wall as well to mount the second battery to. It was all done to try and deal with the heat as I put 4000 miles on mine last year in our 100 days of over 100 degrees. Did do a little for the heat but holds a lot of tool. A 1/2 breaker bar for wheels slides in nice. Now I have mounted my chase siren ( for racing) to the bottom that works great. Never felt it hot. Have ran hard for time in 100 degrees and never over heated or had the box show any type of heat related problems so other than food I think it is well spent money when you really look at it. Dose add weight where you do not want it if you are looking to run hard or jump.

20210112 113208 Film21 20210112 113143 Film21

Reactions: stellarpod
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The box is durable, too. I have mine loaded heavy with a pair of steel shackles and a small Viair compressor, along with some straps and other small things. No issues, no cracking, no probs.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just pulled this out to install the DEI heat shield and run some wires for some rear lights. After 18 months with a heavy load, it looks like it hasn't shifted around while bounding about the trails at all, there are no cracks or wear, and overall it's doing just fine. There is very little dust inside, too. Much less dust than any other storage options I've tried besides my crazy expensive Milwaukee Packout stuff, that spot under the hood is in fairly clear air.

Reactions: Bigshow and CID
WYDOPN

WYDOPN

Jun 15, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I used mine for my Auxbeam 8 gang switch box and breaker along with a positive and negative post for accessories. I cut a hole sized for (white) cap I had for access to fill the master cylinder if needed, only negative thing About the design was if you hand to add brake fluid it would be a chore

44A2819C 0AE2 494F B390 2CC794F1A30B 795BAD52 965E 4D51 8DFC 375E484EE9AB

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!