Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Talon stop sale

Quick recap.
- Only select 2020 units are affected. X, R, X4, X4D
- Dealers ONLY know if a unit in their inventory is affected.
- Dealers CAN NOT check your S# to see if it's affected.
- An investigation is underway by Honda.
- No details on the investigation were given.

American Honda has announced a STOP SALE on select 2020 Honda Talon 1000 models including the X, R, X4, X4D.

Dealers were issued this notice earlier this week with little to no info on why. The notice state that the units are under "investigation" and more info would be sent once completed. Dealers were only given a list of serial numbers affected that matched their inventory. Not all 2020 units were affected. Dealers are not able to check your unit to see if it is affected.

At this time, Honda has NOT issued a recall, update, or any notice regarding ownership of the Honda Talon 1000 models.

This is very unlike Honda. Normally they will issue Stop Sale notices for an issue of importance for something they either 1 - Do not have parts for or 2 - no current solution is available.

What could this issue be?
While people can complain about anything, there are a few things regarding the Talon that stick out.
  • The single shear rear knuckles breaking.
    While there have been a few busted up, it is unclear if they just flat out broke or were slammed against an object sighting improper usage. If this is a faulty part Honda could need time to investigate it down to a single batch. It is unknown if this part is produced in-house or sourced.
  • Ugly Welds.
    Being a 100% new design, there is going to be some issues. One right out the gate was a handfull of faulty and/or ugly welds. All issues were reported to Honda and ONLY safety issues were corrected. Ulgy "gorilla" welds that held structurally were not considered.
  • Faulty steering.
    There seems to be a growing number of complaints of lost or weird steering. While some say they lost steering all together we know this is very unlikely without broken steering linkage as these units are only power-assisting units. Now, loss of easy steering could be an issue, especially at high speeds.
  • Talons CAN'T FLY...
    There was this one guy who straight off the trailer launch his Talon off an unsettle hill. A few moments and several rollovers later he declared to the world that "Honda's Can't Fly". All this, of course, irrelevant to the fact he had minimal hours of seat time in his new machine. Later, the internet did its job. lol.
But ultimately, the above are only educated guesses. Soon Honda will get their ducks in a row and update us all.

Overall, I am very confident Honda will correct the issue. With the Pioneer line, they have been ahead of the game producing updates and recall notices months ahead of the official CPSC notices. That's one thing Honda is good at. Unlike other companies, they have no need for a 27 Million Dollar fine before they decide to take action!

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Definitely post those ranges if you hear more, just took home a 2020-X.

We don't have a VIN range at this time, they've just told us what units we have in inventory that are affected.

When did you pick up your X?
I cant remember the day we got the stop sale, but it was last week sometime.

Reactions: BWAF and TimG
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can someone explain what a sale stop is and how it works and why?
Dealerships can’t sell an affected VIN. Typically means recall/fix is coming for something of high enough safety concern they don’t want the units in public. Generally if it has been sold prior to the stop sale the consumer is also expected to park it until it can be fixed if it is also labeled a Stop Ride.

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
hmm this could get interesting

OffGridNW

OffGridNW

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2019
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. Talon X
We don't have a VIN range at this time, they've just told us what units we have in inventory that are affected.

When did you pick up your X?
I cant remember the day we got the stop sale, but it was last week sometime.

Just got it last Friday. Been pretty flawless except for a couple loud transmission bangs getting it off the trailer the first time.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

Just got it last Friday. Been pretty flawless except for a couple loud transmission bangs getting it off the trailer the first time.

I think that was after the stop sale dropped, so its probably a good chance yours isnt involved. Unless the dealer didn't see it, in which case they won't be able to register the warranty unless they contact Honda about it.

Im not sure if the VIN lookup will reflect it or not yet.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I got my 20 Talon R on 10/12, wonder how long it will take to find out if its affected or not ?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I got my 20 Talon R on 10/12, wonder how long it will take to find out if its affected or not ?

My dealer knows nothing about it

H

HondaTech

My dealer knows nothing about it

TBH, Honda hasn't really told us anything, except the particular VINs we have in our inventory and that it's pending a "manufacturing investigation" which is the first time they've ever used that to describe a stop sale.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Offgrid You can avoid the trans Bang by making sure its fully into Reverse. If there is a " - " on the display instead of the R its not fully into gear and you can feel the shift lever is loaded forward in the Reverse gate. It should be in the center of the shift gate. It may occur more when the engine is cold. I over shift a bit to make sure its fully into gear. To see the dash just shift it slowly into Reverse with the key on. Then shift it more toward Neutral then back Reverse. The Trans Bang can happen in High and Low too. The neutral Gate is more narrow and the shift cable should be adjusted to its in the middle of the neutral gate.

20191120 100701 resized
20191120 102741 resized

OffGridNW

OffGridNW

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2019
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. Talon X
Offgrid You can avoid the trans Bang by making sure its fully into Reverse. If there is a " - " on the display instead of the R its not fully into gear and you can feel the shift lever is loaded forward in the Reverse gate. It should be in the center of the shift gate. It may occur more when the engine is cold. I over shift a bit to make sure its fully into gear. To see the dash just shift it slowly into Reverse with the key on. Then shift it more toward Neutral then back Reverse. The Trans Bang can happen in High and Low too. The neutral Gate is more narrow and the shift cable should be adjusted to its in the middle of the neutral gate.

View attachment 169007 View attachment 169008

Thanks HondaBob, appreciate the advice. The noise scared me a bit at first but since it has been consistently near freezing around the property lately I have just made sure I warm her up very well before driving and no more bangs.

Reactions: Arizona
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks HondaBob, appreciate the advice. The noise scared me a bit at first but since it has been consistently near freezing around the property lately I have just made sure I warm her up very well before driving and no more bangs.
You might consider putting 0W-30 (or even 0W-20 for the winter if it is super cold where you are) in the sub-transmission. There are no wet clutches in there so any premium synthetic should work. It holds less than 2 quarts and 0W-30 is recommended by Honda for below 15 degrees F...

Upload 2019 12 6 14 6 33

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I changed all my fluids at 500 miles to Mobile1 synthetics. It made a huge difference in the noise from the transmission shifting. The oil for the motorcycles and UTVs is Mobile1 4T.

Reactions: Arizona and 906UP
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm going to try Maxima 0w40 full synethic motorcycle oil. I'm over 6,600 miles and my Talon R needs to be warmed up for 15 to 20 minutes before it will shift into low range properly. Its 40 to 65 degrees in the morning here but the 0w40 should fix the cold shifting issue. A new shift cable didn't help. The old cable was like new. Changing the sub trans oil every 2 years regardless of mileage won't work for me. That would be around 30,000 miles. My dealer will be calling the Honda Tech Line. If the 0w40 oil fixes it he will let Honda know.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!