BOX1

P1000 Used vs New

K

KKOSH

May 10, 2020
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looking at a 2016 with 950 miles like new condition (but has hard top, windshield, back glass, rear bumper, side mirrors) for $15.5 or buy new. Seems to be the cheapest i can get here is $17k OTD for a 1000-5 deluxe. But i would then have to add the top, windshield and back glass. Thoughts?

Reactions: Isaiah and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at a 2016 with 950 miles like new condition (but has hard top, windshield, back glass, rear bumper, side mirrors) for $15.5 or buy new. Seems to be the cheapest i can get here is $17k OTD for a 1000-5 deluxe. But i would then have to add the top, windshield and back glass. Thoughts?
I bought my 2019 1000-5 deluxe with zero miles for $15,300. Keep shopping 😉

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just today talked to one of my customers that bought a 2017 from a dealer in Magnolia, Arkansas last weekend. It was a plain jane, steel rims, for $11,900 the company that had it was getting rid of his Honda line. Keep shopping.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's really about you and if you're good with it.
I agree with the others...I think it's steep, I paid $11,500 2-years ago setup exactly like yours...mileage and all.
But pricing is location specific.
If you buy new you have to pay dealer fees, sales tax and all that.

Good luck man, let us know what you decide.
Post pictures :)

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I thought about trading my 2016 P-1000-3 (with 1300 miles, Honda glass windshield, roof, hard back window, 4500# winch and snow plow) and the dealer offered me $8500 to trade. Didn't do it. I could buy a new 2020 P-1000-5 Deluxe with same roof, etc. for $19k out the door. $15.5 seems really high. I'd go new for sure.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome @KKOSH from a felow Michigander 👍🏼

What dealer are you getting your price from?

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome to the forum from Mississippi, @Todd627 can help you better than I since he is from Mi. I think that price is too high for a 2016.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These things are generally reliable. The problem is you have no idea of the history of the machine. It’s easy to clean these things up and make them look nice. When a person sells any recreational product, they are essentially giving away the aftermarket accessories that are installed on it. They add little to no value to the unit. The price that can be fetched is all local market dependent. Don’t let anyone talk you into inflated values based on installer components. It just doesn’t work that way. 15.5K is way too much IMO. I personally wouldn’t buy used. Way too many U-Boat commanders out there.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

US 27 Motorsports in St Johns or Honda East in Maumee OH. Those are the best prices you'll get from a dealer in these parts.

K

KKOSH

May 10, 2020
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Bought a 2018 used one today out of state. 40 miles on it. Never been in dirt (soon will be)! Has hardtop, windshield, Wild Boar rear bumper (not installed yet) and rear cover screen. Really excited to get it! Will be here on Monday. Saved about $2300 over a new one.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think there are deals to be found in the used market, but they are far and few between when it comes to power sports. Every now and then you can find that one-off deal with someone who bought it, put less than 100 miles on it and has buyers regret, or can't afford the payments, or life happened and things changed their circumstances. If you happen to find one that has literally been no other places then someones yard and it looks that way, lucky you! That's not normally the case though. Here's a few things I keep in mind when shopping and considering used power sports equipment...

A) Many people by these things to abuse them. It's just the name of the game for some folks. They pick up the new machine, ignore or never read the break-in procedures and proceed to ride the living hell out of it...whether that's from just being naive or ignorant (no offense to those folks), if they abuse the machine, often times the harm may not be seen until a later date and roll on to the new owner.

B) Sooooo many people ignore maintenance schedules. (Disclosure, I'm an aircraft mechanic so I put an extremely high value on the importance of routine and preventive maintenance schedules. So, this may sound knit-picky). Many owners go off the idea of, "if it's not broke, it doesn't need to be fixed" and that ideology doesn't mix with maintenance. For example, "My valves are ticking, so they must be fine". The truth is, none of us will be able to hear the difference between the .09-.12" recommended exhaust valve clearance and .15" or even .06" if your valves tightened up or got loose. What that leads to is a shorter period of the valves being open, less exhaust scavenging, excessive valve wear, and carbon build up. You won't "feel" that difference now, or in another 10/20/30hrs because it's going to gradually change. But in the long term, it will make a difference. Another example is constantly exposing the machine to water and not re-greasing bearings. They're sealed bearings...but they're not "that sealed". These are just a few examples...

C) General abuse...check out the Honda Pioneer 1000 riders group on Facebook. I can't get over how many people hydrolock their engines, drown the machines, beat the living hell out of them. What's surprising is how many folks hydrolock the engines, drain them and get them running again...and think that's ok because "it's Honda tough"....not understanding the affects of water introduction into an engine running at 2-5000 RPMs. Water doesn't compress like air/fuel mixtures and it will cause something to bend/break/wear....again. Just because the engine starts back up, doesn't mean that harm wasn't done. A second hand owner may not know that this happened until it's too late.

D). Lack of mechanical knowledge. I read a post the other day where a guy stripped out some of the frame bolts and his "fix" was to cover the threads in steel epoxy putty and reinstall all of them. WTF. Again...most sellers won't report this type of stuff because if they felt it was a good "fix", they won't see the issue with it....until you have to remove the bolts.

Again, I'm probably a bit more picky than others but those are things I look at, and things I see that I take into consideration when looking at used equipment. When I was younger and new machine were simply out of reach for me financially, I purchased a lot of used machines. Sometimes I lucked out...but there are many times that I did not. Some of those machines cost me a lot of money and heartache because the the sellers weren't honest. Just my two cents.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get it. I’m a retired aircraft mechanic and aircrew from the KC-135. Being in that environment changes how you look at things. Being pro active and observant of issues goes a long ways. Not using these things as a boat goes a long ways. More power to the ones going that way, but that is why I buy new. It will be cheaper in the long run.

D

Dead_Eye

Apr 23, 2020
Dixie
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just purchased a new 1000-5 deluxe with windshield, top, brush guard, rear bumper, and rear fabric panel for 16,300.

Keep shopping.

Reactions: Isaiah
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!