Using smaller wheels/tires for transporting in Toy Hauler

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so I found my ideal toy hauler but I’m about 2”
Too tall with the P1000. Was thinking that maybe i could get a set of small steel wheels and tires for transporting only. A cordless impact makes quick work of tire changes. Plausible? Open to all suggestions.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Too tall with the P1000. Was thinking that maybe i could get a set of small steel wheels and tires for transporting only. A cordless impact makes quick work of tire changes. Plausible? Open to all suggestions.
That is absolutely how they transport the monster trucks (think Gravedigger)

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ratchet strap suspension down to get in door !

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought about ratcheting down the suspension but the angles look bad unless you go over the top of the shock? I have the 14”
Deluxe wheels i wonder how much a set
of 12”
Take offa would help? I believe the tire size appears to be the same on the honda site?

anybody done the ratchet down trick and care share some details

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and BWAF
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
as far as ratcheting the suspension down just run a strap through the springs if you have some old straps laying around without hooks that works best. you could get 2 inches easy that way. tire air down would do the rest. to drop what you need by changing tires you need to go down 6 inches in tire. rim means nothing. 6 inch smaller tire will give you 3 inches lower height.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and BWAF
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If you're using the Honda roof just take it off, it's easy and takes about a minute. Just un-pop the bango clips and lift it off.
If I remember right you might have room to slide it back and lower it on the frame, the clamps take up a lot of space. Just leave it laying there while inside the trailer or lay it on the side of the buggy. You'll easily get 2".

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
. B7092d364b24493710cb8f1273c665bb

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the honda roof and that sounds promising. Maybe that and airdown would get me where I need to be. How far can you air dow without worrying about breaking a bead.. obviously moving slow.?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the honda roof and that sounds promising. Maybe that and airdown would get me where I need to be. How far can you air dow without worrying about breaking a bead.. obviously moving slow.?
depends on how stiff the tires are. my old executioners could go to 0. and still ride around on them. the first time will be a play by ear but after that itll be routine.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm near positive just taking the roof off the clamps will be enough, they take up a lot of space, not to mention the stress creases they mold in the top for rigidity, they make the roof quite a bit taller. But almost for sure taking it off completely and putting it to the side.
A lot of my friends use the fiber roof for this reason, it's also quieter inside the buggy.

As for the tires I've done that, I don't recall but around 6 lbs or so, you don't want to roll them of course and if they are high ply you don't want to break the sidewall tread...use this method as a lost resort in my opinion. I've also done the changing tire method, as simple as it is if you go often that becomes a lot of work ;) But you got to do what you got to do. I almost think strapping down would be easier than changing tires...not to mention you have to haul them around everywhere taking more space and adding weight.

Please let us know what works I'm curious now as to the solution?

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not sure what your hitting in the toyhauler, but I had to adjust the limit switch and raised the lower bed in the garage of my Fuzion 5th wheel. I was able to gain 6in in height in side the garage. The attached picture was just the limit switch adjustment. I raised the bottom bed another two inches by just changing the location it bolts to the trolley.9a98c9478330f1dfe73d284f00304375

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just checking if un-clamping and lowering roof worked or did you have to take it off?

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just like @Pilotadam said. Not sure what type of toy hauler you have? Like in mine, when the bed is up all the way you can drop your folding couch’s to the sides and that will give your a lot of clearance. If you don’t have this type, I would just lower your air pressure you should be able to go to 5psi on a set of deluxe wheels before come off the bead. Also unless you have etrac like I do and are stamping over your tires you should t have an issue with lower tire pressure and standard strapping in the TH.
96E6E2B4 23B5 4EE8 BC61 B5F0860EADA5

Reactions: Isaiah
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!