BOX1

Utah street legal..

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Looking for opinions weather its worth it or not to go street legal ?

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for opinions weather its worth it or not to go street legal ?
Wash. State is pain. Can not even run on forest roads if not street legal. It's nice to run into town to get supplies.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Register in South Dakota.

Yes, South Dakota will register anything. My buddy was up at Sturgis and stopped at a Harley dealer and they registered his RZR. Didn't matter that he lives in CO. And they told him anyone could call and get a registration.

Reactions: Koda and Plumber32
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yes, South Dakota will register anything. My buddy was up at Sturgis and stopped at a Harley dealer and they registered his RZR. Didn't matter that he lives in CO. And they told him anyone could call and get a registration.
Yep, just had my 1000 registered there.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
but can you run it is your home state? IF they don't offer a street legal permit?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
but can you run it is your home state? IF they don't offer a street legal permit?
Yes, so long as you're running DOT tires and have all the safety and street legal accessories and street insurance.

Reactions: Windrock1000
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, so long as you're running DOT tires and have all the safety and street legal accessories and street insurance.
This is false. Only states that reciprocate with the state you are registered in. E.G. Illinois doesn't give a s*** what state your sxs is registered in. You can not run it on the road there. Georgia is the same as well as a few other states I'm aware of. If your state doesn't offer licenses for that particular vehicle, they will not honor your SD, Arizona, Montana etc sxs tag, even though SD consider it a motorcycle.

Reactions: drfubar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
It's very true if your state reciprocates. That's a given, and one should always do their due diligence regarding research in their home state.

"Illinois State law now permits local governing bodies to allow golf carts and all-terrain vehicles on local streets under certain circumstances. They may operate only on streets with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less, the drivers must have valid Illinois drivers’ licenses, and the vehicles must have brakes, steering, a rear-view mirror, headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, reflectors on the front and back, and “slow-moving vehicle” signs in the rear."
New laws regulate street-legal vehicles

UTV's to be allowed on Flora streets beginning April 1

Last edited:
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's very true if your state reciprocates. That's a given, and one should always do their due diligence regarding research in their home state.

"Illinois State law now permits local governing bodies to allow golf carts and all-terrain vehicles on local streets under certain circumstances. They may operate only on streets with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less, the drivers must have valid Illinois drivers’ licenses, and the vehicles must have brakes, steering, a rear-view mirror, headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, reflectors on the front and back, and “slow-moving vehicle” signs in the rear."
New laws regulate street-legal vehicles

Yes, but you didn't state that. And Illinois still prohibits at/utv use on public roads. Individual townships have had the ability to allow them in that specific town for a couple years now. You still can't register it as a street legal vehicle and run it down the highway. They only issue stickers good for your municipality. I have yet to see a town over 500 people allow it. Therefore Illinois does NOT reciprocate with SD. I can't take my Pioneer with SD tags and turn signals and run around Chicago then hit Western Ave up to waukegan. Whereas TN you could drive it across the state if you wish.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yes, but you didn't state that. And Illinois still prohibits at/utv use on public roads. Individual townships have had the ability to allow them in that specific town for a couple years now. You still can't register it as a street legal vehicle and run it down the highway. They only issue stickers good for your municipality. I have yet to see a town over 500 people allow it. Therefore Illinois does NOT reciprocate with SD. I can't take my Pioneer with SD tags and turn signals and run around Chicago then hit Western Ave up to waukegan. Whereas TN you could drive it across the state if you wish.
As I said, it's a given. ;) Research is indispensable. And the roads in townships are public roads!

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
cool thank you!
In case it wasn't already obvious, a little research in your home state is indispensable. As an example, several years ago Utah passed a law allowing UTV/ORV's on roads with speed limits of 55 mph or lower in every county in the state except Salt Lake County. The trend across America is greater access for UTV's to public paved roads, as can be seen with new laws in Illinois. However, Cook county will no doubt never permit UTV's on its roads, for what should be obvious reasons.
Governor Signs Bill Allowing ATVs On New Mexico's Paved Roadways

Last edited:
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In case it wasn't already obvious, a little research in your home state is indispensable. As an example, several years ago Utah passed a law allowing UTV/ORV's on roads with speed limits of 55 mph or lower in every county in the state except Salt Lake County. The trend across America is greater access for UTV's to public paved roads, as can be seen with new laws in Illinois. However, Cook county will no doubt never permit UTV's on its roads, for what should be obvious reasons.
Governor Signs Bill Allowing ATVs On New Mexico's Paved Roadways
That article in the sj-r is also from 2010.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
That article in the sj-r is also from 2010.
Indubitably, the trend goes back more than a couple years. And as UTV's continue to advance (Massimo's roll out with all Street legal accessories from the factory) and sales trends continue to increase, there will be increasing public pressure for greater access. Just recently my state of New Mexico allowed UTV's paved road access and I can now drive the three miles to the national forest to ride without trailering it. Things are moving swiftly in this regard. And this article and new law affecting Illinois is from March 2017.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am a full time RVer Travel all over the US and the laws are different in every state and some cities are more strict than others. Buy a sticker if the have one!

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I am a full time RVer Travel all over the US and the laws are different in every state and some cities are more strict than others. Buy a sticker if the have one!
To the last point, that's a big definite if it's required. There's even States that allow licensed/registered UTV's on the streets that still require an off road permit to be affixed to the vehicle to use it off roads!!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
All the above mentioned is correct but there is some fudge room. We are licensed in Idaho with a Washington address no big deal. The reason we're licensed there is because they don't care about mirrors turn sigs tires or anything and Washington is bs with restrictions and requirements but with some of those items added Washington has left us alone for the most part because we "didn't know" ignorance can be bliss if you're friendly and cooperative lol.show them your ins license and ask a couple questions then were on the way

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!