P700 Valve adjustment question.

P

Pedpole

Apr 12, 2020
UP
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am working on doing my first valve adjustment check on my 700 and in the write up by DGrider it says to turn the engine clockwise only. Is that when you are looking at the back of the engine since this is where you are turning it? Sorry for what may be a dumb question but I haven’t done a valve adjustment before. Always had a mechanic brother looking over my shoulder but he passed away.

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
H

HondaTech

Yes clockwise is from the rear looking at the bolt.

When turning an engine with a starter the engine will feel smooth in the correct direction and sort of crunchy the other way. You'll also hear the starter being turned in the wrohg direction.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am working on doing my first valve adjustment check on my 700 and in the write up by DGrider it says to turn the engine clockwise only. Is that when you are looking at the back of the engine since this is where you are turning it? Sorry for what may be a dumb question but I haven’t done a valve adjustment before. Always had a mechanic brother looking over my shoulder but he passed away.
Yes looking at the rear of the machine, you’ll Need to pull your inspection plug on the rear passenger side to see the TDC marks as well. Remember to make sure which stroke it’s on as well, I believe it needs to be on the compression stroke for adjustments to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
P

Pedpole

Apr 12, 2020
UP
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it was clockwise looking at the back of the engine but wanted to be sure. I am having an hard time seeing the tic mark in the inspection hole. Bad eyes aren’t good for this.

H

HondaTech

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it was clockwise looking at the back of the engine but wanted to be sure. I am having an hard time seeing the tic mark in the inspection hole. Bad eyes aren’t good for this.

The 700 and 500 are a real pain the ass to see.

Reactions: Mudwing and Pedpole
P

Pedpole

Apr 12, 2020
UP
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well I finish adjusting them. Intakes were pretty close but the exhaust were very tight so I opened them up a bit. Only issue was removing the one screw by the seatbelt odor the plastic on the driver side. Couldn’t get it out. Have to figure how to get it out later.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!