P1000 Valve Clearance Procedure

J

jemartz1990

Jun 11, 2020
Landisburg, Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys and gals. I have a 2020 P3 Deluxe and I'm ready for the initial service. I purchased a service manual, but the pictures are not super clear. Does anyone have pointers or a video link on how to check the valve clearances?

Reactions: Lofar
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know what you mean. The service manual complicates it a bit. I'm due to check mine. Mine has never been checked. 9k

Reactions: Lofar
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have 4K on mine I can hear them some but I'm afraid to adjust them becuse its running good.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I know what you mean. The service manual complicates it a bit. I'm due to check mine. Mine has never been checked. 9k
Does it still run good?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does it still run good?
How it runs is a poor indicator of valve settings. There are two possible scenarios -
1. Too loose - noisy clickity, clickity, clickity. The problem here is once too loose, the lifter is skipping the acceleration ramp on the cam lobe and crashing directly into the lift surface causing accelerated wear.
2. Too tight - How in the heck do clearances get tighter?!?!? The valve seats and valve contact surfaces wear microscopically which results in tighter clearances as the valve sinks into the head. When clearances are too tight, the time the valve spends on the seat is decreased - this is a problem because the valve head is dumping heat when seated. If you reduce that time, the valve head can overheat and burn. This is most likely to happen to the exhaust valves which never get the cold intake charge that keeps the intake valves much cooler than the exhausts.

So, neglect valve adjustments and risk expensive engine damage. It might not happen right away but are ya feelin' lucky?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
How it runs is a poor indicator of valve settings. There are two possible scenarios -
1. Too loose - noisy clickity, clickity, clickity. The problem here is once too loose, the lifter is skipping the acceleration ramp on the cam lobe and crashing directly into the lift surface causing accelerated wear.
2. Too tight - How in the heck do clearances get tighter?!?!? The valve seats and valve contact surfaces wear microscopically which results in tighter clearances as the valve sinks into the head. When clearances are too tight, the time the valve spends on the seat is decreased - this is a problem because the valve head is dumping heat when seated. If you reduce that time, the valve head can overheat and burn. This is most likely to happen to the exhaust valves which never get the cold intake charge that keeps the intake valves much cooler than the exhausts.

So, neglect valve adjustments and risk expensive engine damage. It might not happen right away but are ya feelin' lucky?
after you have adjusted yours could you still here the clickity, clickity, clickity?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
after you have adjusted yours could you still here the clickity, clickity, clickity?
It's too new and only had the initial 100 mile dealer check up. (about 1800 now) I don't even know if they checked them or just listened. For as much as I paid for that service, I should have gotten a new engine. :oops:

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Service manual worked for me. No clickity clickity, but checked them anyway at a couple hundred miles just to get familiar. I guess I'd have to go to a shop to get shims if I ever need them--can't find much info online about what fits.

Reactions: Mopower58 and CID
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those that asked "how it runs". It seems fine is the best answer I can muster up. It has a slight "tick" to it. Burns some oil. Starts fine. hauls a good amount of beer around. Its closer to 10k now. About 9800m/1120h. Maybe this winter I'll dig into it... Or maybe next winter.. who knows.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My valves Have been checked and adjusted the exhaust valves was Loose. I had 4200 miles and 370 hours on it.

H

HondaTech

My GMs P1K never needed a valve adjustment in 2400 miles and his Talon hasn't yet either and its a part time race machine.

Reactions: Backwoods
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got 3600ish miles I've checked mine about every 1k and I checked after the dealers 100 mile service. They were still in spec with no adjustments by me at about 3k when I did the last service.

Reactions: TripleB
D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I checked the valve lash on my 2020 P1K3 with 2600 miles and found both exhaust valves about 2 thousandths on an inch tighter than specs. Easy to adjust, but the intakes look like a nightmare......I think you have to remove the cam and shim the lifters. Luckily mine were on the money.

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked the valve lash on my 2020 P1K3 with 2600 miles and found both exhaust valves about 2 thousandths on an inch tighter than specs. Easy to adjust, but the intakes look like a nightmare......I think you have to remove the cam and shim the lifters. Luckily mine were on the money.

On the Honda dirt bikes, I hardly ever have to shim the intake but the exhaust side always needs them. Looks like the pioneer is the same way!

Reactions: dook

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!