Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree, but Honda is short changing the dealers on labor!
That's not just Honda everyone does it including the whole automotive world. When I painted for dealerships we got about 75% of actual jobs on warrenty work it made you push that aside. A motorcycle shop gets paid more for washing a Sxs and simple maintenance then warranty work so that's why they schedule it out so far sometimes

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That all depends.
Honda allots X hours per said job. A good mechanic can get it done faster than that and comes out good.
Other dealers need every second and more then want to carage you double allotment while they make some coffee.
lol

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah but think of it as an investment in one's future. Tax deductible and buy them only once. Earn an income for decades.
Still gotta front the money when you aint making s***. $20,000 in tools to make 40k per year. Obviously you don't have 20k invested from the get go, but you also don't start out at 40k per year income. Not gonna do much more than make a basic living turning wrenches. If that's all you want out of life, then cool! Unfourtanatly, I desire more than just barely making a living. Cant say I like this job better than working at the dealer, but I wouldn't have a SXS if I still worked there, or a new Silverado, boat, Sleds...you get the picture. But I will say, that nice tool box comes in handy when I need to work on all that stuff!

Reactions: Plumber32
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh man! I wish I ONLY had $20,000 invested in tools.........

I got smart though, or tell myself I got smart and got the hell out of wrenching for a living. I was going no where and killing my body.

My current gig is fun, but I have the itch for a change again.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Auto industry is the same way shop buy most of the big equipment techs buy the rest. When models change you have to buy new special tools and when stuff breaks or stolen then you buy it again. Shops need to make money and techs need to make money. A good tech has to work fast to make money. I have a ton in tools and equipment so i can make money and its still very hard to. People want cheap labor cost which brings tons of crappy labor and bad experiences. Most dont want to pay what good labor would cost

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have quite a bit of experience in this, don't ask me how being a retired plumber, I'd rather not get into it. LOL.

Now, I'm not saying it's a great deal, all I'm saying is this, every service department in any "auto" dealership ( I don't know anything about motorcycles and UTV's) that I have ever come across gets paid out of the book.

I don't know too many situations except for diagnostic and things like that, where techs get paid for the direct hours they worked.

If the book say 1.9 hours for a repair, and warranty DOES go by the book, and the tech can do it in 1 hr, he is picking up ONE hour for free.

I wouldn't really say that techs don't like warranty work because it really just depends on the type work. One of the many reasons that techs don't like warranty work is because there's no upsell possibility. With regular repair they can sell things, warranty
forget it!

But in a lot of situations when a recall came through, the warranty would call for 2.4 hours, and the techs could whip those things out in under an hour and were making a fortune! In that case they favored the warranty jobs versus regular.

It was not uncommon, nor would any heads turn, if a technician worked 8 hours that day but got paid for 13.

It's one big game back there with the owners and management pitting themselves against the mechanics. In my opinion, ALL owners of dealerships are very cheap and want to get by paying their salesman as well as techs, the LEAST amount possible!

I could tell you some stories... especially when the owners are telling you to do something one way that will make them more money, but the techs less, but you've become friends with all of the techs and you want to do it the other way around. That's when it's time to get really creative! Truly it's walking on a tight rope 50 stories in the air!

Another thing is, not everybody has to buy $20,000 in snap on tools. Snap on just charges a ridiculous amount of money for their equipment and I can honestly say I have never had a Craftsman brand break on me, even if it does, has a lifetime warranty and they swap it out!

Buy even cheaper and if it breaks you can buy six of them for the same price as one snap on!

My point is, if you're going to go in to business, start off with cheaper tools and If the business starts to succeed you can always upgrade later.

Going in business as a mechanic is extremely tricky and expensive because you need a retail outlet with lifts and things like that. Going into business as a plumber is a piece a cake, couple thousand in tools and a truck and you're ready to roll!!!

It's difficult for techs to just go into business on their own. That said, I have never ever ever ever in my life made an appointment to get service work done where they weren't always a couple weeks out. The local small engine repair shop who works on SXS's is a waste of time every single time you call this guy literally a month or two out. So that just simply tells you that demand is greater than supply.

I've always thought about opening up a repair shop for SXS's ONLY, no sales, no parts, just service. Personally I think a man could make a small fortune! I'm in western North Carolina and if any techs out there are considering such a thing, maybe we could hook up and work something out :)

PM me for a possible joint venture!

Last edited:
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have quite a bit of experience in this, don't ask me how being a retired plumber, I'd rather not get into it. LOL.

Now, I'm not saying it's a great deal, all I'm saying is this, every service department in any "auto" dealership ( I don't know anything about motorcycles and UTV's) that I have ever come across gets paid out of the book.

I don't know too many situations except for diagnostic and things like that, where techs get paid for the direct hours they worked.

If the book say 1.9 hours for a repair, and warranty DOES go by the book, and the tech can do it in 1 hr, he is picking up ONE hour for free.

I wouldn't really say that techs don't like warranty work because it really just depends on the type work. One of the many reasons that techs don't like warranty work is because there's no upsell possibility. With regular repair they can sell things, warranty
forget it!

But in a lot of situations when a recall came through, the warranty would call for 2.4 hours, and the techs could whip those things out in under an hour and were making a fortune! In that case they favored the warranty jobs versus regular.

It was not uncommon, nor would any heads turn, if a technician worked 8 hours that day but got paid for 13.

It's one big game back there with the owners and management pitting themselves against the mechanics. In my opinion, ALL owners of dealerships are very cheap and want to get by paying their salesman as well as techs, the LEAST amount possible!

I could tell you some stories... especially when the owners are telling you to do something one way that will make them more money, but the techs less, but you've become friends with all of the techs and you want to do it the other way around. That's when it's time to get really creative! Truly it's walking on a tight rope 50 stories in the air!

Another thing is, not everybody has to buy $20,000 in snap on tools. Snap on just charges a ridiculous amount of money for their equipment and I can honestly say I have never had a Craftsman brand break on me, even if it does, has a lifetime warranty and they swap it out!

Buy even cheaper and if it breaks you can buy six of them for the same price as one snap on!

My point is, if you're going to go in to business, start off with cheaper tools and If the business starts to succeed you can always upgrade later.

Going in business as a mechanic is extremely tricky and expensive because you need a retail outlet with lifts and things like that. Going into business as a plumber is a piece a cake, couple thousand in tools and a truck and you're ready to roll!!!

It's difficult for techs to just go into business on their own. That said, I have never ever ever ever in my life made an appointment to get service work done where they weren't always a couple weeks out. The local small engine repair shop who works on SXS's is a waste of time every single time you call this guy literally a month or two out. So that just simply tells you that demand is greater than supply.

I've always thought about opening up a repair shop for SXS's ONLY, no sales, no parts, just service. Personally I think a man could make a small fortune! I'm in western North Carolina and if any techs out there are considering such a thing, maybe we could hook up and work something out :)

PM me for a possible joint venture!
You make it sound like a piece of cake, If it's so easy, and a great deal,why doesn't everyone do it?

You need more than just the service work. You need the parts department as well because you can't be buying your parts for retail and not make any money on them. In MN we have off seasons, like winter so you have to diversify and work on sleds too. What happens if it doesn't snow? You better have a pile of money in the bank, that's what! Because the shop payment and insurance and heat and lights all still need to be paid. That's before you pay yourself anything.

Ohh, forgot to mention, parts inventory. And if you have your own shop, 20k in tools probably won't even get you started. Not to mention all the special tools the OEMs require.

Last edited:
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well @Plumber32 i am tring to start my own shop fixing atv motorcycles and sxs. Parts i do not care about making money on the heart of the money is in the labor. I know i fl people are cheap and want cheap i read on facebook other shops in jax are having a tough time for the same reason. If you play with toys they cost i would rather pay more and make sure its done right the first time. Its also hard to jump in and dedicate everyrhing qhen i still have bills to pay so for now its a side venture.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just picked the shocker up from the stealership changed the seal and seatbelt all is good now. Asked about the clutch ipdate they said there is 2 diffrent ones 1 with slipping clutches and 1 for non slipping o ly diffrence being the slipping clutch gets new clutch disc and the other doesnt. I asked them to order mine so i can be proactive and try and avoid the situation so we will see how long to get the parts.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You make it sound like a piece of cake, If it's so easy, and a great deal,why doesn't everyone do it?

You need more than just the service work. You need the parts department as well because you can't be buying your parts for retail and not make any money on them. In MN we have off seasons, like winter so you have to diversify and work on sleds too. What happens if it doesn't snow? You better have a pile of money in the bank, that's what! Because the shop payment and insurance and heat and lights all still need to be paid. That's before you pay yourself anything.

Ohh, forgot to mention, parts inventory. And if you have your own shop, 20k in tools probably won't even get you started. Not to mention all the special tools the OEMs require.

And that right there is why most people don't go into business, because you have already convinced yourself it will fail!

And I'm not sure why you interpreted a couple of statements about it's not easy going in business and it's hard for technicians to go in the business as saying that is a piece of cake?

Last edited:
Reactions: 0860silverado
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just picked the shocker up from the stealership changed the seal and seatbelt all is good now. Asked about the clutch ipdate they said there is 2 diffrent ones 1 with slipping clutches and 1 for non slipping o ly diffrence being the slipping clutch gets new clutch disc and the other doesnt. I asked them to order mine so i can be proactive and try and avoid the situation so we will see how long to get the parts.
Just tell them it's slipping, I already told them my clutch is acting weird and it is, could be the lose NUT behide the wheel!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just tell them it's slipping, I already told them my clutch is acting weird and it is, could be the lose NUT behide the wheel!

I was just thinking the same thing when it's time to get it done why not just say they are slipping and get the entire thing done at once?

Because I am curious, in a hypothetical situation, if you got the work done that did not include replacing the clutches and then a month or 2 or 3 later they started to slip, would they consider that a separate warranty in and of itself??

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah but think of it as an investment in one's future. Tax deductible and buy them only once. Earn an income for decades.
Butt wrong, tools wear out and then there's always the new special tools that will have to be bought

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was just thinking the same thing when it's time to get it done why not just say they are slipping and get the entire thing done at once?

Because I am curious, in a hypothetical situation, if you got the work done that did not include replacing the clutches and then a month or 2 or 3 later they started to slip, would they consider that a separate warranty in and of itself??
Hmmm...that's a good one. My two cents worth: If you can remember at any time since you've owned it if you've ever slipped them more than you felt good about, i.e. "Damn! I wish I hadn't backed up that hill!" , I'd say toast 'em before your warranty expires and before the upgrade is done to your machine so you can start over with fresh clutches. If your machine has never ever even once had an abusive moment in it's life before the clutch fix, I think you'll be fine for a long time with only the new housing. That's a tough call though. Whadda ya'll say guys?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Butt wrong, tools wear out and then there's always the new special tools that will have to be bought
Cheap tools wear out. High quality tools last a lifetime if used within their design limits. Or get Craftsman tools. Lifetime no questions asked warranty. I've found split Craftsman sockets on the side of the road and traded 'em in for brand spanking new ones.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!