P1000 Product Update - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update! Expires 9/2020

H

HondaTech

At the last shop i worked at there was the 2 experienced guys (myself and the shop foreman) and a 3rd lube tech/apprentice type guy...usually right out of some tech institute, primarily because the owner was too cheap to pay for 3 good techs. This position was a revolving door...
It became sort of running joke between the foreman and i that these guys would come in with 10,000 Snap-tool boxes or a multi thousand dollar scan tool, yet would have to come borrow my .75 plug gapper.

My fav was a guy who told us he was an "electrical guru". These guys are priceless since, as someone else mentioned, electrical has no flat rate since it can take 5 minutes...or 5 hours, and not everyone does real well with this area. So, when we put him on the 1st electrical problem to come in, i was filled with confidence when he came and ask to borrow my DVOM. Awesome!

The point being that good techs are rare these days. Book learned is one thing. Having the ability to understand things is another.

Spinning wrenches has always been a love/hate thing for me, but the temptation is always there to give it one more try...

I've worked with 2 MMI graduates that I could out work with now schooling. Those two guys new jack s*** unless the book told them so. They'd run around following the manual when I could've gotten them there in 5 minutes. Bunch of dummies.

H

HondaTech

That's horrible to know that. But then again, you said that's an advantage so maybe not.

I ALWAYS assumed that all Powersports techs were making anywhere from $18 to $22, lube guys in the $10

I also assumed since Powersports were a specialty, they would get paid MORE than automobile techs! Seems to be the opposite sadly..

I'm not sure about other shops but we've never had lube techs. Our low man is Set-up guy, who'll graduate slowly to full tech or we'll let him do some small services/ tires/ oil changes. But everyone could be doing any job at any time where I work at. I could be putting a clutch in a P1K today and an air filter in a Goldwing tomorrow.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not sure about other shops but we've never had lube techs. Our low man is Set-up guy, who'll graduate slowly to full tech or we'll let him do some small services/ tires/ oil changes. But everyone could be doing any job at any time where I work at. I could be putting a clutch in a P1K today and an air filter in a Goldwing tomorrow.

That's how it is with dealerships also, a tech could do anything including oil changes. The only difference is, they normally have one specific guy that did nothing but oil changes and lubes. Whereas the tech will only do it if it was part of a list of other things as well.

V

vogel3d

Oct 2, 2017
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
called my salesman, and he said had never heard of the clutch issue, but service called back and stated they are unable to get the parts, only the ones that have bad clutches are getting fixed for now. Did finally find agree to order the cab comfort kit for me. River Valley in Red Wing MN sucks.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
called my salesman, and he said had never heard of the clutch issue, but service called back and stated they are unable to get the parts, only the ones that have bad clutches are getting fixed for now. Did finally find agree to order the cab comfort kit for me. River Valley in Red Wing MN sucks.
After 6 months of ownership I called my salesman, who is also a service tech, and said "please find someone to take this machine off my hands. Not the right machine for me". I listed cabin heat and low fuel range and clutch problems and several other shortcomings that I can't even remember to him and his response was, "are you serious or kidding?" He claims he'd never heard of any of these problems!!! I guess Honda techs and salesmen are trained to bury their head in the sand when it comes to acknowledging the widely known problems with these machines. And THAT"S what pisses me off most.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In short Vogel, I would give as much clout to what a salesman says and told you as I would my grandkids on the subject! IGNORE him and TELL him you want it done. It's not up to THEM to decide what "part" of the clutch repairs "they" would like to do. It's up to YOU, the customer!!!!

And if they can get parts for the whole thing, they can get parts for some of the thing.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
After 6 months of ownership I called my salesman, who is also a service tech, and said "please find someone to take this machine off my hands. Not the right machine for me". I listed cabin heat and low fuel range and clutch problems and several other shortcomings that I can't even remember to him and his response was, "are you serious or kidding?" He claims he'd never heard of any of these problems!!! I guess Honda techs and salesmen are trained to bury their head in the sand when it comes to acknowledging the widely known problems with these machines. And THAT"S what pisses me off most.
There are other choices out there. I am looking at Ranger when it comes time for my 700 to go down the road.

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Talked to my dealer this morning, I'm #9 on the list for the clutch upgrade. It may be a while before I get it done, they parts are coming in very slowly.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
B

BAMASXSRIDER

Feb 6, 2017
ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was able to get my dealer to do mine before i took delivery, so I never drove one before the update was done. Anyone that has had it done, can you tell a difference with the way the clutch engages when first taking off after the update?

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was able to get my deal to do mine before i took delivery, so I never drove one before the update was done. Anyone that has had it done, can you tell a difference with the way the clutch engages when first taking off after the update?
@Eltobgi any thoughts on your update?

M

mcho

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2016
NW Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was able to get my deal to do mine before i took delivery, so I never drove one before the update was done. Anyone that has had it done, can you tell a difference with the way the clutch engages when first taking off after the update?
I had mine done last week. Not much time on it but it does seem to be smoother from a stop. Need more miles for a good test.
Mark

K

KenandCen

Apr 12, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 53932

ITS OFFICIAL.
Honda has finally released the UPDATE CAMPAIGN set to fix all the issues many of us have been having with the clutches.

Who is eligible for this update?
  • ALL 2016 Pioneer 1000's are eligible.
  • ALL 2017 Pioneer 1000's are eligible.
  • 2018's are expected to come with this pre-installed.
This "UPDATE", alters the oil flow to clutch 1 delivering cooler oil in an effort to keep it from overheating. This will help prolong the life of the clutch and help eliminate the chatter you receive.

It is also important to note that this "update" will not fix user abuse or error. Please continue to follow directions found in your user manual for operating the Pioneer 1000 DCT system.

View attachment 53927
View attachment 53928 View attachment 53929 View attachment 53920 View attachment 53921 View attachment 53922 View attachment 53923 View attachment 53924 View attachment 53925 View attachment 53926

Also, Here is a PDF version just in case you need the "letter".

Hello everyone.. I need some help!

I took my 2016 Pioneer 1000 in for the clutch update. The unit had only 250 miles and was experiancing no issues (ran perfect, but I wanted to get ahead of the curve on the clutch). The update was installed Oct 4, 2017, I picked it up brought it home and after approximately 30 mins the Oil Pressure light came on. I stopped the unit checked all fluids and all were okay. I took the unit back to the dealer and they have not been able to find any problem, except the light comes on once the unit really warms up (about 30 mins) There are no codes, no performance issues... nothing wrong except the light.

Today the Honda District Manager suggests there may now be a pinched wire in a harness that is causing the problems so they are looking at that.

Does anyone on here have any thoughts on this issue?

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I took my 2016 Pioneer 1000 in for the clutch update. The unit had only 250 miles and was experiancing no issues (ran perfect, but I wanted to get ahead of the curve on the clutch). The update was installed Oct 4, 2017, I picked it up brought it home and after approximately 30 mins the Oil Pressure light came on. I stopped the unit checked all fluids and all were okay. I took the unit back to the dealer and they have not been able to find any problem, except the light comes on once the unit really warms up (about 30 mins) There are no codes, no performance issues... nothing wrong except the light.

Today the Honda District Manager suggests there may now be a pinched wire in a harness that is causing the problems so they are looking at that.

I really do hope that's all it is, but a pinched wire that only showed up after a teardown/reassembly and only shows a fault after 30 minutes? Sounds like a wild stab at best. From what I understand, this clutch system uses pressurized oil for cooling and lubrication. Maybe the tech left out a part that directs the oil flow to these and when your oil gets hot enough, the thinness is enough to set off your sensor. Please keep us posted and don't let 'em jerk you around!! Good luck!!!

Reactions: Eltobgi
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

So, I am of simple mind and I do say thoughts sometimes and am wrong part of the time but check the harnesses, gaskets, oil and filters. If the machine was fine when you took it in before tear down then all has to be checked that was touched during procedure. If those are fine then the new parts may have a problem and should be replaced.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@Eltobgi any thoughts on your update?
Definitely feels solid! I worked it pretty hard hauling a trailer full of garbage to the dump, and later let her run for a few hours! Tried to get it to shutter, but was unable to! Plan on taking her out some more over the next few days to test and will report back then! But for now I can say So far, So Good:)

MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Spokane Valley, Washington
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
There are a couple of Honda Service centers in my area. The first shop I went to said they could not install the clutch fix since my clutches were not slipping. A few weeks later I was in the other Honda shop buying supplies for my first service. I was talking to the Parts Department complaining about the engine whine. They told me to talk to the Service Department, so I did. While talking to the Service Department, they offered to install the clutch fix. I couldn't believe it! So I dropped-off my machine and had them do both my first service and install the clutch fix. They also offered to install the Cabin Comfort Package, but I opted to wait until the Spring. I am going hunting and the engine heat is welcome in the winter months. I just got my Pioneer back today so I have not had a chance to evaluate it. However, given my clutch was never slipping to begin with, I doubt I will notice any change.

I was just pleased that is was effortless to get them to apply the clutch fix.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update: I've been on waiting list for cab comfort system and clutch update package about a month. I received my call this morning that comfort system was in but they needed my machine to get the clutch package. They said I need to leave it with them one week if possible. I agreed and took my rig to them today. They gave me a finished day of 27th for both.

When I dropped my p1000 off they were doing another guys while he was waiting. Comfort and clutch package. Seems they done a few so far looking forward to getting mine back..

Good luck to rest that need this done asap.
IMG 1005

Hawkeye

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have about 125 miles on mine since the clutch update and 300 with the seat fix. The seat belt buckles are definitely cooler but if you have a windshield and it's over 70° you'll probably want to take it off. I'd rather ride without it anyway so I'd say the heat fix is as good as any home grown remedy minus the blower fans.

The clutch definitely has less chatter on take off and it seems to break the tires loose a bit easier in soft terrain or if you need to climb obstacles. I'd say this fix is great and I was buried in 4 lock low tires just barely moving us forward and I threw it in reverse and backed right out. Previously I was pretty leery about getting stuck in forward and having power to back up.

K

KenandCen

Apr 12, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Update on my low oil pressure light that resulted from my Clutch Recall update.

On page 4 of the service bulletin, the picture details the "Orifice Control Solenoid Valve" which should include an O-RIng where it plugs into the "Clutch Control Body". The kit my dealer received did NOT include the O-Ring so it was not installed. The dealer ordered a new kit which DID include the required O-Ring. They put the new kit into our P1k last Friday and so far no low oil pressure lights.

Please pass this information on as needed!

K

KenandCen

Apr 12, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I am of simple mind and I do say thoughts sometimes and am wrong part of the time but check the harnesses, gaskets, oil and filters. If the machine was fine when you took it in before tear down then all has to be checked that was touched during procedure. If those are fine then the new parts may have a problem and should be replaced.
Update on my low oil pressure light that resulted from my Clutch Recall update.

On page 4 of the service bulletin, the picture details the "Orifice Control Solenoid Valve" which should include an O-RIng where it plugs into the "Clutch Control Body". The kit my dealer received did NOT include the O-Ring so it was not installed. The dealer ordered a new kit which DID include the required O-Ring. They put the new kit into our P1k last Friday and so far no low oil pressure lights.

Please pass this information on as needed!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!