P1000 Product Update - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update! Expires 9/2020

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update on my low oil pressure light that resulted from my Clutch Recall update.

On page 4 of the service bulletin, the picture details the "Orifice Control Solenoid Valve" which should include an O-RIng where it plugs into the "Clutch Control Body". The kit my dealer received did NOT include the O-Ring so it was not installed. The dealer ordered a new kit which DID include the required O-Ring. They put the new kit into our P1k last Friday and so far no low oil pressure lights.

Please pass this information on as needed!
Woooow! I'll pat myself on the back for my above post regarding the "pinched wire". Glad they got you fixed up.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update on my low oil pressure light that resulted from my Clutch Recall update.

On page 4 of the service bulletin, the picture details the "Orifice Control Solenoid Valve" which should include an O-RIng where it plugs into the "Clutch Control Body". The kit my dealer received did NOT include the O-Ring so it was not installed. The dealer ordered a new kit which DID include the required O-Ring. They put the new kit into our P1k last Friday and so far no low oil pressure lights.

Please pass this information on as needed!
@superman Here is the verified solution to the issue.

Ca51flatty

Ca51flatty

May 2, 2016
Riverside, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took mine into Malcom Smith Motorsports in So Cal and they got the parts right away and did the fix no questions asked. I had no issues before but if someone is offering and updated to improve my ride I am going to take it every time. 30" tires and crawling in the rocks mean I can use all the mechanical help I can get!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was able to get my dealer to do mine before i took delivery, so I never drove one before the update was done. Anyone that has had it done, can you tell a difference with the way the clutch engages when first taking off after the update?
It's smooth, the first time my wife drove, she noticed and she doesn't notice much.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tried calling my dealer but he refuses to get the parts until I bring it in which to me is just going to add another few days of needless downtime. He said that's the way Honda operates and they wont send the parts until they have a vehicle in the shop.

I thought I read somewhere that other dealers were stocking the parts in advance because of predicted repairs?

Can anybody verify whether that is true or whether this guy is trying to pull a quick one on me?

I mean having a clutch in stock is not exactly a special order. But don't know if the rest of the items on the recall is something that would be considered a specialty item in which they could get stuck with it if I didn't bring in?

H

HondaTech

We have to call Honda with a VIN to order. Honda at one time and toward a couple extras for new units or for dealer use on customer ones. That was forced ago, they never sent us any more after those initial 4 "extras".

We usually ordered without the unit there if customer said everything shifted fine. If after a test ride we found the clutch slipping we'd tear down and verify then tell the customer more time and parts is needed. Or if after removing the cover for the update we found plates we weren't comfortable wirh reinstalling we would do the same.

When these first came out Honda told us to only do units that were slipping. To help those problematic units out. If you weren't having a problem no need to fix it, right? Now it's a free for all to order. Some dealers refuse to do so until the units can be inspected so they don't have t of these things clogging their shops up. If we had 4 or 5 in there at once our warehouse shrunk fast and we didn't have alot of space to spare anyway. Once you tear these apart they are big annoying paperweights.

Reactions: elkguide
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We have to call Honda with a VIN to order. Honda at one time and toward a couple extras for new units or for dealer use on customer ones. That was forced ago, they never sent us any more after those initial 4 "extras".

We usually ordered without the unit there if customer said everything shifted fine. If after a test ride we found the clutch slipping we'd tear down and verify then tell the customer more time and parts is needed. Or if after removing the cover for the update we found plates we weren't comfortable wirh reinstalling we would do the same.

When these first came out Honda told us to only do units that were slipping. To help those problematic units out. If you weren't having a problem no need to fix it, right? Now it's a free for all to order. Some dealers refuse to do so until the units can be inspected so they don't have t of these things clogging their shops up. If we had 4 or 5 in there at once our warehouse shrunk fast and we didn't have alot of space to spare anyway. Once you tear these apart they are big annoying paperweights.

I got you and makes total sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Of course that is one of my major concerns. I'm presently not having any problems with the clutch slipping but you can bet your bottom dollar that I want them to do it all regardless.

I am reading that some shops are just doing it no questions asked, while other shops are being a stickler and want to verify clutch slippage first.

Of course warranty doesn't pay as much as customer pay, but knowing they do get paid something, I would hope they wouldn't care.

The problem is I will not know what type shop this is until I bring it in and I don't wanna do that unless I know I can get the clutch replaced.

On one side of the coin I understand somebody not wanting to replace a clutch if it's not burned out. But on the other hand, if I'm going to bring my unit in and sacrifice not having it for 6-8 days (what they quoted) when I use it daily and have them tear apart that area to update it, it would just only make good sense to me to put a new clutch in while they are at it!

Perplexed what to do at this point and not sure I want to risk it, as still VERY unclear what would happen if they only did part of the recall and then a year later the clutch did burn out, whether or not they would do the rest if at no charge?

Then you also have to factor in the possibility that even though it's not "currently" slipping, damage has been done prematurely that will cause it to wear out at a later date and as such that's another reason to want to put it in now!

I think maybe Honda complicated this a little bit by leaving that up in the open and I think they should just simply say, do the entire campaign including a new clutch and get it over with.

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
I tried calling my dealer but he refuses to get the parts until I bring it in which to me is just going to add another few days of needless downtime. He said that's the way Honda operates and they wont send the parts until they have a vehicle in the shop.

I thought I read somewhere that other dealers were stocking the parts in advance because of predicted repairs?

Can anybody verify whether that is true or whether this guy is trying to pull a quick one on me?

I mean having a clutch in stock is not exactly a special order. But don't know if the rest of the items on the recall is something that would be considered a specialty item in which they could get stuck with it if I didn't bring in?
Mine was ordered in advance ,but took over a month because of unforeseen parts needed . the invoice was over 2g to Honda seems really good so far time will tell

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I got you and makes total sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Of course that is one of my major concerns. I'm presently not having any problems with the clutch slipping but you can bet your bottom dollar that I want them to do it all regardless.

I am reading that some shops are just doing it no questions asked, while other shops are being a stickler and want to verify clutch slippage first.

Of course warranty doesn't pay as much as customer pay, but knowing they do get paid something, I would hope they wouldn't care.

The problem is I will not know what type shop this is until I bring it in and I don't wanna do that unless I know I can get the clutch replaced.

On one side of the coin I understand somebody not wanting to replace a clutch if it's not burned out. But on the other hand, if I'm going to bring my unit in and sacrifice not having it for 6-8 days (what they quoted) when I use it daily and have them tear apart that area to update it, it would just only make good sense to me to put a new clutch in while they are at it!

Perplexed what to do at this point and not sure I want to risk it, as still VERY unclear what would happen if they only did part of the recall and then a year later the clutch did burn out, whether or not they would do the rest if at no charge?

Then you also have to factor in the possibility that even though it's not "currently" slipping, damage has been done prematurely that will cause it to wear out at a later date and as such that's another reason to want to put it in now!

I think maybe Honda complicated this a little bit by leaving that up in the open and I think they should just simply say, do the entire campaign including a new clutch and get it over with.
My clutch wasn't slipping, it was sticking, take off was jerky. They did the improvement and # 1 clutch replacement.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They have no place to test it going more than a few mph or really open it up other than a parking lot. I could say it only slips in 5th gear..

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
They have no place to test it going more than a few mph or really open it up other than a parking lot. I could say it only slips in 5th gear..
Makes me wonder how they even try them out most dealer ships have small parking lots. The service manager that I work with knew exactly what I was describing and scheduled my improvement.

Reactions: Plumber101010
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm getting mine done next year when parts are more available. I will make an appointment and take it in in the morning and get it back late in the afternoon or the next day. It will be like an appointment for an oil change. Most dealers don't have a lot of room so most will do the same if its just the update that takes less then 2 hours. I'm over 10,000 miles on mine and not one problem. Careful maintenance helps a lot and just being lucky too.

H

HondaTech

Makes me wonder how they even try them out most dealer ships have small parking lots. The service manager that I work with knew exactly what I was describing and scheduled my improvement.

We always let the unit get warm first, the clutch will slip the most when it's hot. But usually if it's enough for you guys to feel it we can probably notice it ourselves if you can get it to shift into atleast 3rd. Most of the ones that I've replaced needed extra revs to pull away from a stop as well.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I spoke to my dealer last week and was told the same Plumber101010. Bring it in and they'll determine if it need clutches or just the updated cover. They have a tiny parking lot and there is no way I can see them figuring it out there. Mine seems to flare up on some of the shifts, I really need to take it to the bottoms where I can wring it out and see where it does it.

While it's apart I want to see the clutches myself, I don't trust any dealers.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We always let the unit get warm first, the clutch will slip the most when it's hot. But usually if it's enough for you guys to feel it we can probably notice it ourselves if you can get it to shift into atleast 3rd. Most of the ones that I've replaced needed extra revs to pull away from a stop as well.
Mine chattered badly from a stop.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm getting mine done next year when parts are more available. I will make an appointment and take it in in the morning and get it back late in the afternoon or the next day. It will be like an appointment for an oil change. Most dealers don't have a lot of room so most will do the same if its just the update that takes less then 2 hours. I'm over 10,000 miles on mine and not one problem. Careful maintenance helps a lot and just being lucky too.

Is that what they told you Bob or is that what you are assuming? They told me 6 to 7 days which I think is ridiculous but that's the what they told me all the same.

Had to get it in and then once they ripped apart, have to order parts which will take a a few days and then back together again!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!