BOX1

BRed Very new to the SXS world

R

rasorbackqq

Jun 11, 2017
Springfield NS Canada
Ownership

1. Big Red
Just bought a Big Red 2009 after a couple month long search.
So far its met all my requirements . Just a question on the 2 wd drive mode.
Seems yesterday twice when in very loose ground only one wheel was spinning in the rear. Once was on the right and the second time was on the left. It was spinning to the point where it wouldn't move forward or back. As soon as I placed in 4 wd I was able to move forward again.
My only knowledge of a honda rear axle is a solid rear axle from a foreman 500. When only both tires provide power . Is there something wrong with the SXS?

Reactions: sharp
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Been a long time since I spent time with a BR.
As I recall, the rear is in open diff mode in 2wd and locked diff when in 4wd.
There is also a locked 4wd mode that locks the front diff.
I always thought the BR was more capable than people gave it credit for.

A little bit different than the old Forman.
And welcome to the club.

R

rasorbackqq

Jun 11, 2017
Springfield NS Canada
Ownership

1. Big Red
Thanks I was hoping for that answer ref an open diff.
Trying to find out why they sold the SXS.
2009 new 4500 winch,new second battery, new cab encloser, hard roof , 6 front cv boot guards. Windshield , ( yellowed and can't see through it) , 1560 kms, full skid plate front and rear bumpers. They delivered it half way 6 hrs round trip. Excellent shape new painted hood , and a 17/8 ball and draw bar

C

Cookie

Apr 28, 2017
Eastern Tennessee
Ownership

1. Big Red
Thanks I was hoping for that answer ref an open diff.
Trying to find out why they sold the SXS.
2009 new 4500 winch,new second battery, new cab encloser, hard roof , 6 front cv boot guards. Windshield , ( yellowed and can't see through it) , 1560 kms, full skid plate front and rear bumpers. They delivered it half way 6 hrs round trip. Excellent shape new painted hood , and a 17/8 ball and draw bar
I bought a 2009 also. I have had it for about 2 months. I also looked and looked some more before I found one. I am well pleased. If I understood correctly, I think the differential is the same on mine. I know in 2wd it does it does split the differential as you explained.

C

Cookie

Apr 28, 2017
Eastern Tennessee
Ownership

1. Big Red
I bought a 2009 also. I have had it for about 2 months. I also looked and looked some more before I found one. I am well pleased. If I understood correctly, I think the differential is the same on mine. I know in 2wd it does it does split the differential as you explained.
Does anyone know why the Big Red was discontinued. From what I have seen and heard the frame is engineered to be the best out there....Thanks.

Reactions: Ollie and sharp
R

rasorbackqq

Jun 11, 2017
Springfield NS Canada
Ownership

1. Big Red
Not sure what that means
I know in 2wd it does it does split the differential as you explained.
On dry ground in 2 wd I can only spin one wheel.
If you look at the dash in 4x4 not locked it shows a pic of 3 tires turned and one still straight. One in the rear is not powered.
Unless I misread the icon.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does anyone know why the Big Red was discontinued. From what I have seen and heard the frame is engineered to be the best out there....Thanks.
It was superseded by the Pioneer 700, generally the same engine as the Big Red MUV and Rincon 680 ATV. Taking everything they learned from the Big Red introduction and use allowed Honda to significantly revise the platform into the P700 & P700-4 as an even more capable and versatile machine.

C

Cookie

Apr 28, 2017
Eastern Tennessee
Ownership

1. Big Red
Not sure what that means
I know in 2wd it does it does split the differential as you explained.
On dry ground in 2 wd I can only spin one wheel.
If you look at the dash in 4x4 not locked it shows a pic of 3 tires turned and one still straight. One in the rear is not powered.
Unless I misread the icon.
I have a little rough place here at the house where it kicks one tire off the ground. That one tire spins which stops movement. I guess the tire with least resistance spins. This has happened on both sides. When it happens, I shift to neutral and then shift to differential lock. Then, it will crawl over the rough place. I may have a problem also. But, I don't think I have. I believe this is a correct response. I hope I am explaining it right and understanding what you are saying......Thanks....

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have a little rough place here at the house where it kicks one tire off the ground. That one tire spins which stops movement. I guess the tire with least resistance spins. This has happened on both sides. When it happens, I shift to neutral and then shift to differential lock. Then, it will crawl over the rough place. I may have a problem also. But, I don't think I have. I believe this is a correct response. I hope I am explaining it right and understanding what you are saying......Thanks....
As explained in post #3 by @lee The Big Red has an open differential in 2WD, essentially "turf mode" but when put in 4WD the rear diff is locked so one wheel doesn't spin. Nothing's broken just the way those early models were designed. Now the newer Pioneers 700 & 1000 have advanced upon that initial design.

Reactions: Tflynn
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!