P500 Walker Evans Racing (Review)...The other Shock option...

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Decisions, decisions

I got the urge to upgrade my P520’s suspension at the peak of the Covid19 pandemic chaos. Predictably, nobody had parts in stock and the wait times were long and utterly preposterous. On the bright side, however, this disastrous scenario gave me plenty of time to research and analyze the available options before making a decision.

As many of us have come to realize the budget friendly Honda Pioneer 500/520 is equipped from the factory with cheap, throw away shocks that deliver unforgiving, teeth rattling, back-breaking, butt-numbing, bucking, bouncing and choppy ride quality on anything but completely smooth and flat terrain. The stock P500/P520 shocks are awful and the ride quality, is atrocious!

Planning to swap out the dreadful factory shocks is my second attempt to improve the appalling ride quality on my P520. I first installed oversized wheels and tires to help mitigate the rough ride. However, the larger wheels and tires (ITP Ultracross R 27x9-14 tires and 14” Raceline A95 Trophy (4x110, 5+2) wheels) only marginally improved the ride quality. The misses, didn’t appreciate the minor improvement and demanded more. So naturally more work and attention was needed to mollify her and to overcome the unforgiving riding experience. Which brings me to this point. Here I am.

I narrowed my shock choices between two popular brands, Elka Suspension and Walker Evans Racing. Aside from what I have read online, on the forums and videos I’ve watched on YouTube, I had no prior knowledge of either company, or their products.

The Elka shocks come in a variety of performance stages, with each stage, promising distinctive ride characteristics and various forms of adjustability. The Elka shocks look fantastic and the quality of their products are obvious. The attractive price of the Elka stage 1 shocks, at roughly $1,000 per set, grabbed my attention initially, but the eye catching appearance of the Elka stage 3 coilovers with the integrated piggyback remote reservoirs and adjustable dampening, demanded more thought and additional consideration.

The Elka shocks start getting pricey as you move beyond stage 1. So, the question becomes; Would I need the additional adjustability and increased performance of the stage 3 shocks? Or, would stage 1 be enough?

Honestly, I’m sure the Elka stage 1 would provide an adequate improvement in the handling and ride quality for my uses but, sometimes, you have to splurge. Or, better yet, if you don’t have any direct experience with a particular brand and you settle for a product simply based on price, sometimes you can develop buyers remorse. Nobody wants that! So, I’m thinking stage 3 is the way to go.

The Elka stage 3 shocks are gorgeous! They are absolutely the best looking coilover available for the P500/P520.

They are pure P500/520 shock nirvana!

Elka3

I mean…Look at them!!!
They’re absolutely stunning!!!

The Elka stage 3 shocks are sold in pairs. And, man, they’re not cheap. Basically, you’re looking at $2,000 for a set of front and rear shocks. Whew, that’s a lot greenbacks! In any case, the appearance, performance and quality certainly appear to match the price!

I was prepared to order a set of front and rear Elka3 shocks but, when it came time to pull the trigger, I couldn’t find any US distributors (I believe that has changed), so I needed to order directly from Elka Suspension and they’re based in Canada. No problem.
But, there was a problem. I began reading about the possibility of having to pay additional import taxes and fees to have the shocks shipped across the border. What!?! Really? Well, that totally blows. Those fees would add quite a bit more money to the overall purchase price and I felt the cost was beginning to get out of control. To top it off, I had been hit recently with similar import taxes and fees for a watch I purchased from an authorized dealer in Singapore. What a nightmare! Had I known upfront about the import fees (I probably misread some fine print), I would have waited until an authorized dealer in the US had one available. Damn. This sure does complicates things.

The Elka3’s are already expensive and having to pay additional shipping, fees and taxes just put them over the top. That’s when I seriously started looking at the Walker Evans shocks.

The Walker Evans Racing coilovers are not offered in multiple levels or stages of adjustability or various degrees of handling characteristics. They offer just one shock for the P500/P520. Their one and only coilover option features piggyback remote reservoirs and 16 way compression adjustability. The WE’s are also very high quality and more than capable for my needs.

So, for comparison sake, the WE’s are similar to the Elka3 shocks. Just like the Elka3’s, the Walker Evans shocks have adjustable dampening and feature external piggyback reservoirs front and rear. Likewise, both coilovers have glowing reviews from P500/P520 owners and both are highly recommended. Some may disagree but, in my opinion, the appearance of the Walker Evans shocks are nowhere near as attractive when compared to the beautiful Elka3 shocks. However, the WE’s are quite a bit cheaper, which is extremely appealing. The WE’s run about $1,400 for the complete set of front and rear shocks and as a bonus, they’re made in the USA.
Well, that settles it, Walker Evans it is!

Nevertheless, the WE’s had one significant drawback. Build time. I’m talking really long. An astronomically long build time. I ordered my Walker Evans shocks in August 2022 and I didn’t receive them until the end of January 2023. Crazy long wait!

During my extended wait time, out of sheer boredom, I sent a couple emails to Walker Evans Racing to check the status of my order. Shockingly, every email I sent went unanswered. That’s something I cannot comprehend and from a customer service standpoint, is unacceptable. I was severely disappointed. I can’t stand poor communication and horrible customer service. However, when I eventually got desperate for an update on my order, I called them directly. Equally as shocking, they answered the phone promptly and I was able to get an update on my order immediately. In all fairness, they probably should just let customers know the best method of communication is to contact them by phone. Aside from the email debacle, everything else went well with my order. Once the shocks were assembled, packaged and shipped, they arrived at my door in only a matter of days.

I’ve bought a lot of performance coilover shocks over the years for various vehicles I’ve owned. But, this is the first time I’ve bought coilover shocks for a SxS. In general, based on my automotive experience, the SxS shocks are expensive when you consider the retail price of the machine itself. However, the quality of these shocks are really impressive. The WE shocks are equally as nice as a $5K coilover setup I installed on one of my vehicles several years ago and nicer than the $2K setup I installed on another one more recently.

The installation of the new Walker Evans shocks was simple and straightforward. Heck, I didn’t even have to remove the wheels and tires to get the job done. Worth noting, the ride height was unaffected with the WE coilovers installed and no adjustments were required.

WE STK

WE

The only complication with my installation was deciding where to mount the rear piggyback remote reservoirs since they are not integrated in the shock assembly like the front shocks. This is definitely one aspect I much prefer with the Elka3 rear shocks. On the Elka3 shocks, the rear remote reservoirs are part of the shock assembly. They are not a separate component like the Walker Evans which make the Elka’s easier to install and have a much cleaner overall appearance.

The rear remote reservoirs, with the stainless steel braided lines are a pain to manipulate into position. Because of this, it isn’t easy finding a good spot to mount them. Even worse, Walker Evans includes ridiculously cheap and flimsy hose clamps to secure the rear piggyback reservoirs to the chassis which is totally absurd considering the overall cost of the setup. As you would expect, the Walker Evans dollar-store hose clamps simply will not work for my installation. I had to look elsewhere for some decent quality brackets that would provide a secure mounting solution and a professional appearance. Amazon.com, delivered. After picking up some hardware locally, I was able to mount the rear reservoirs to the chassis using the new brackets I sourced from Amazon to complete the installation.

WE rear

RearBrkt

I’m pleased with how the installation came together.

Rear

Front

Driving impressions.
Not what I expected…

I read so many raving reviews about the Walker Evans shocks and the insane improvement in handling and ride quality that I expected my P520 to literally sit on top of a fluffy cloud, hover, glide and float over rough terrain, while I laugh hysterically, enjoying the heavenly plush ride in complete comfort and total bliss. However, my initial test drive wasn’t like that at all.

I was very much underwhelmed with the performance of these shocks on my first test drive at low speeds. Don’t get me wrong, there was, without a doubt, an improvement, it just wasn’t nearly as monumental as I had envisioned, or lead to believe based on reviews I’ve read.
There had to be something I’m missing.

Well, there was.
Shock settings.

I adjusted the compression dampening of the shocks two clicks from full hard, to three clicks from full soft. And ran the P520 over the same terrain at the same speed. The difference, and improvement, was night and day. As I began increasing speed, these shocks really started to come alive and demonstrate their dampening mastery. Holy Cow! These shocks are amazing! It is absolutely insane how much faster my P520 can go over rough terrain with the WE’s installed. These shocks flat out perform at high speed! I’m able to go over rough, uneven, rocky, bumpy and choppy terrain at near top speed. These shocks produce a mind-bending improvement in ride quality in comparison to the abominable factory shocks. I never thought I’d be able to ride at or near top speed on these unforgiving terrain conditions. With the WE’s installed, my P520 is completely stable, in control, planted to the ground, and soaks up every transition in the harsh terrain. The improvement in handling performance is so extreme, that the WE shocks reward you with absolute confidence and beg you to pour on more and more speed! They’re dangerously good! I’m gonna have to be ultra cautious. I can now see how the chances of a rollover are increased with a modification like this.

After logging some riding time with the Walker Evans shocks installed on my P520, I can see why they have earned the highly complimentary reviews. These shocks are legit. I’m extremely happy with these shocks!

The Walker Evans coilover shocks have far surpassed my expectations. These shocks truly improve the overall control, stability, handling, ride quality and dominate the harsh terrain with amazing authority!

Most importantly, the misses is happy!

(This review has also been posted in my Build Thread)

Thank you for reading.

Mike

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
got the urge to upgrade my P520’s suspension at the peak of the CHINA MUDER VIRUS SCAMDEMIC chaos.
Wow! Thats quite a book you wrote!
You should fire your editor tho! Fixed it for ya! ;)

Yes WE shocks are the $hit! @trigger has had them on his P5 for
A very long time. I think he has a write up someplace 🤔

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Wow! Thats quite a book you wrote!
You should fire your editor tho! Fixed it for ya! ;)

Yes WE shocks are the $hit! @trigger has had them on his P5 for
A very long time. I think he has a write up someplace 🤔
Yeah, that was quite the novel and most of this could've been assessed by reading threads in the forum beforehand. Elka's are nice, don't know if they ride any better than the WE's but they definitely look BA. But for $2k, screw that! If striving for a pillow like ride on the P5 you're better off staying with 12" wheels as opposed to 14's. There's links to the reservoir clamps in previous threads as well. I think both shocks are a great upgrade and you just need to decide if it's worth the extra $600 for the look.
PS. A phone call is always better than an email. Kind of difficult to ignore a customer when they're on the other end of the line.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great write up. Congrats on buying USA parts. I think @Smitty335 has Elka shocks on his P1K and had to get his from Canada. He could probably tell you how much extra he had to pay because of them coming from Canada. I'm not a shock enthusiast by any means, but I'm probably going with the 700.00 for four, Rough Country shocks because of the adjustable preload on the springs on my P1K-3.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah, that was quite the novel and most of this could've been assessed by reading threads in the forum beforehand. Elka's are nice, don't know if they ride any better than the WE's but they definitely look BA. But for $2k, screw that! If striving for a pillow like ride on the P5 you're better off staying with 12" wheels as opposed to 14's. There's links to the reservoir clamps in previous threads as well. I think both shocks are a great upgrade and you just need to decide if it's worth the extra $600 for the look.
PS. A phone call is always better than an email. Kind of difficult to ignore a customer when they're on the other end of the line.

But the other threads don't quite have the 'flair' like my reviews do! 😂

Good call on the 12's vs 14's....I'm sure that makes a difference and of course, tire pressures contribute to the ride quality as well.

There is zero defense for the clamps. They're inexcusable and embarrassing...especially considering the overall investment. Luckily, inexpensive alternatives are available and easy to source.

I think the total price difference between the Elka3 and the WE is actually $1,200 now.
It's a significant difference.

On the phone call. Agreed.
However, when I order online and my transaction is processed online without a phone call or speaking with anyone directly. I expect a prompt response via email.

Mike

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Great write up. Congrats on buying USA parts. I think @Smitty335 has Elka shocks on his P1K and had to get his frofacture m Canada. He could probably tell you how much extra he had to pay because of them coming from Canada. I'm not a shock enthusiast by any means, but I'm probably going with the 700.00 for four, Rough Country shocks because of the adjustable preload on the springs on my P1K-3.
The shock thing is simple as this, buy what you want to afford and understand. Set the shock sag with the spring pre load, you may want to contact your shock manufacture for this info.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
This is an upgrade (they never end) I am considering as well. Thanks for the very detailed review. It is very helpful to me to see multiple reviews from different members. Each persons application and expectations of a product are different, so you get many perspectives of an upgrade... One of the many reasons I like this forum. Thanks for sharing!!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is an upgrade (they never end) I am considering as well. Thanks for the very detailed review. It is very helpful to me to see multiple reviews from different members. Each persons application and expectations of a product are different, so you get many perspectives of an upgrade... One of the many reasons I like this forum. Thanks for sharing!! to work with
Just don't expect it to ride like a Can Am or a Razor out of the box. Pioneers just don't have much travel to work with. It will be a lot better though!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just don't expect it to ride like a Canned HAm or a Poo Poo Fire Trap Razor out of the box. Pioneers just don't have much travel to work with. It will be a lot better though!
Fixed ya up there Smitty!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Shouldn't be.
And, they shouldn't provide an email address if it isn't going to be used.

Mike
I only say that cuz even though they provide it half of the time they don’t respond as they should. That’s why talking directly with somebody over the phone is the best way to go. Kind of like making a deal with a handshake over a text that’s a big negative

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The P520 is a cool buggy but couldn't see spending another 6k on accessories to make it somewhat comfortable.

Reactions: Mudder and Rdrcr
R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
The P520 is a cool buggy but couldn't see spending another 6k on accessories to make it somewhat comfortable.

Those might be fighting words on this subforum, lol.
Some guys have a TON more money tied up in their P500/P520's than I do.

But, for me specifically, I wanted a SxS in this particular size, period. Cost wasn't a consideration. I wanted to be able to access restricted trails, fit though tight spaces on my property, offer reasonable utility for chores around the property and have something that I can transport in the bed of my truck. Had there been additional 50 inch wide factory Pioneer options available, with more power, faster top speed, better ride quality, more comfort and convenience options, I would have gone that route and I wouldn't need to spend any money on modifications to improve the little machine. I mean, if Honda made a 50" wide SxS Pioneer with a 1000cc engine and incredible suspension....sign me up!!! Unfortunately, those options don't exist. So, I'm stuck with modifications to improve my little buggy because I ain't gonna own anything larger than a 50" wide machine.

Mike

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

But, for me specifically, I wanted a SxS in this particular size, period. Cost wasn't a consideration. I wanted to be able to access restricted trails, fit though tight spaces on my property, offer reasonable utility for chores around the property and have something that I can transport in the bed of my truck. Had there been additional 50 inch wide factory Pioneer options available, with more power, faster top speed, better ride quality, more comfort and convenience options, I would have gone that route and I wouldn't need to spend any money on modifications to improve the little machine. I mean, if Honda made a 50" wide SxS Pioneer with a 1000cc engine and incredible suspension....sign me up!!! Unfortunately, those options don't exist. So, I'm stuck with modifications to improve my little buggy because I ain't gonna own anything larger than a 50" wide machine.

Mike
It was the 50" thing that attracted me too, but wound up going a different direction because of availability.

I guess if you need a 50" machine, there is no other choice than an ATV.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I, too have the WE shocks. At first I wasn't overly impressed, but once you get to thrashing on the thing you come to appreciate them. It no longer rides like a 2x8 when crossing off-angle ruts.

While I do agree that the Elkas look better, they will be covered in mud in about 15 seconds so after that, I couldn't give a s*** less about their looks.

I was willing to spend $1400 on them; I wasn't willing to spend $2k on them, for essentially the same thing. If I had to do it over again, I might have taken a harder look at the Stage 1 Elkas. I've fiddled with the compression damping a little bit at the last TO and I personally couldn't feel a difference.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520

Mike

exactly!

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

Mike
☝️☝️☝️ ... Yup, truth!

No one who is shopping for "comfortable" would be shopping for a P5.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!