P500 Walker Evans Shock problem solved

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Purchased a set of 4 Walker Evans SHOCKS in August 2018 for 2018 Pioneer 500.
The 1st. set of springs were too soft for my use. Contacted W/E they sent heavier springs that work & I returned the lighter springs all on their dime
Over time I noticed s squeak at low speed on dry gravel roads.
Suspect exhaust drownd the squeak at higher speeds.
2 weeks ago while replacing the battery I found the problem.
The right rear shock spring was rubbing against the shock body.
On 11/2/2020 I called Walker Evans customer service spoke to Chris he stated they have not had many problems with I BACK springs & that he would order 1 in & check it out before shipping. Chris requested pictures I took & sent pictures.

X
20201102 124415
20201102 124359
20201102 12441520201102 124359
I did not hear back from Chris.
On 11/11/2020 A NEW replacement showed up on my door step.
At no point in our conversation was cost brought up by either Chris or I .
This was all done at No cost to me ( Note this is over 2 years after purchase ) there are not many companies this day & age that offer this kind of customer service & warrantee .
Thanks to Chris at Walker Evans & the Warrantee I'm back on the trail.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Couple of mine have been doing that for a while now. At one point I even put a dab of grease where it was rubbing, solved the squeak for a bit until it wore off. Glad to hear WE stands behind their product but I don't intend on contacting them. New springs would probably just settle into the same situation.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
When I spotted the problem took the shock off & apart.
Then with the spring on a smooth flat & straight surface.
Set a framing square next to the spring rotating the spring confirmed the bow. (.250 = 1/4 inch ) top to botton.
Measured the wear on the shock body 17 thousands measureable wear.
Shocks installed at 0 miles & now has 640 fair amount of wear for low miles
like to fix before too late if I can .
15 mile walk out to the truck from camp.

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve been thinking about buying these shocks, it great to know that they take care of their customers. It’s always worth paying a little extra when you know they stand behind the product!

500P-diddy

Mar 16, 2021
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
What spring rate did you go to.i worry about them being to soft when I order I weigh about 250lb and have passengers that are about the same

Purchased a set of 4 Walker Evans SHOCKS in August 2018 for 2018 Pioneer 500.
The 1st. set of springs were too soft for my use. Contacted W/E they sent heavier springs that work & I returned the lighter springs all on their dime
Over time I noticed s squeak at low speed on dry gravel roads.
Suspect exhaust drownd the squeak at higher speeds.
2 weeks ago while replacing the battery I found the problem.
The right rear shock spring was rubbing against the shock body.
On 11/2/2020 I called Walker Evans customer service spoke to Chris he stated they have not had many problems with I BACK springs & that he would order 1 in & check it out before shipping. Chris requested pictures I took & sent pictures.

XView attachment 235420View attachment 235421View attachment 235420View attachment 235421
I did not hear back from Chris.
On 11/11/2020 A NEW replacement showed up on my door step.
At no point in our conversation was cost brought up by either Chris or I .
This was all done at No cost to me ( Note this is over 2 years after purchase ) there are not many companies this day & age that offer this kind of customer service & warrantee .
Thanks to Chris at Walker Evans & the Warrantee I'm back on the trail.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
500p -diddy
My Pioneer 500 has enough added ####( see picture ) & my experence with Walker Evans.
Should come close to you & passenger ### & help with your questions.

The springs that came on original WE Shock purchase give s softer ride for sure -- most like the ride as purchased.
Installed & set the SHOCKS to Match height of original Honda shocks.
New Springs Settle after a few rides & loose height ( ground clearance ) my 1st. ride LOST 1in. of Heigth.

Contacted W.E. described -- the heigth loss -- Pioneer 500 with accessorie & what type of use .
W.E. Suggested Heavier Springs.
W.E. sent --250# front springs & 275# rear springs ( Returned 1st. set of springs they were still in as New Condition )
Needed height is maintained & ride is decent ( compared to OEM Honda shocks )
FYI:
Walker Evans : DID ALL of this on There Dime ( NO Cost to the Customer )
W.E. Stands Behind there Product & Want the Customer Satisfied.

20200725 122406 20200725 122200

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
500p -diddy
My Pioneer 500 has enough added ####( see picture ) & my experence with Walker Evans.

The springs that came on original WE Shock purchase give s softer ride for sure -- most like the ride as purchased.
New Springs Settle after a few rides & loose height ( ground clearance ) my 1st. ride LOST 1in. of Heigth.

Contacted W.E. described -- the heigth loss -- Pioneer 500 with accessorie & what type of use .
W.E. sent --250# front springs & 275# rear springs ( Returned 1st. set of springs they were still in as New Condition )
FYI:

View attachment 279357 View attachment 279358
Holy CRAP Batman!

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
500p -diddy

FYI:

View attachment 279357 View attachment 279358
That belongs in the WTF thread 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I didn’t think that much stuff would fit 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Hate to bump an old thread, but my left rear spring was rubbing the shock body also. I sent W.E. an email and some pics and they sent me a new spring. I'll find out at the mom ride if it will rub but I don't think it will. @trigger did you get yours replaced.
Pic because... Well you know.
KIMG2423

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hate to bump an old thread, but my left rear spring was rubbing the shock body also. I sent W.E. an email and some pics and they sent me a new spring. I'll find out at the mom ride if it will rub but I don't think it will. @trigger did you get yours replaced.
Pic because... Well you know.
View attachment 402547
Nah, let it rub.
Nomo

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!