ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Seems to be my luck to have dumb problems.

Sunday I got a call to help someone in our trails. I made a new hill climb, and it's a little sketchy. Well long story short, a friend thought they could make it and it didn't work out. So I get back there and find a General on its lid, wedged down in a small ravine.

I hooked my winch to his winch and tried to pull him over from behind his machine. Well the Axon would not retract the line. I was able to flip him back over by pulling in reverse. Luckily, he didn't get hurt and it didn't really mess up his machine.

So I messed around with the winch several times with no luck. When you press the "in" button, the light turns green. If you keep holding it, it will flash red.

Called Warn, of course it's under warranty. Well they tell me to call their service center. I call them, and they were very helpful. But, I have to remove the winch and mail it out. You can't take the thing apart without removing it from the machine.

It has not been used very much at all. I plowed snow 2 or 3 times last winter, pulled a log, and tried to use it the other day and it didn't work. I have never submerged the winch. I keep it clean. I would have been extremely irritated if I had gotten stuck myself and couldn't get out.

I bought the nicest, most powerful, and most expensive winch hoping to not have problems. Now I have to tear the dumb thing off and mess around sending it to a service center at my expense. I know, stuff happens. But I just wanted to let you all know about the problem because I'm not too excited about the Warn brand.

I even asked them to help me troubleshoot, and they did. I figured I'd rather just fix it if it wasn't super expensive. On the Axon, the electronics are pretty much all one part. The part costs $400, so if I do it myself that's what it will cost.

Reactions: Plumber32
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bummer. It's a good looking winch but I haven't seen any reviews besides this on how it works. It's probably the only replacement I'd consider for my Superwinch Terra45 but I have 2 Terra45s so I probably won't need a replacement any time soon

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sunday I got a call to help someone in our trails. I made a new hill climb, and it's a little sketchy. Well long story short, a friend thought they could make it and it didn't work out. So I get back there and find a General on its lid, wedged down in a small ravine.

I hooked my winch to his winch and tried to pull him over from behind his machine. Well the Axon would not retract the line. I was able to flip him back over by pulling in reverse. Luckily, he didn't get hurt and it didn't really mess up his machine.

So I messed around with the winch several times with no luck. When you press the "in" button, the light turns green. If you keep holding it, it will flash red.

Called Warn, of course it's under warranty. Well they tell me to call their service center. I call them, and they were very helpful. But, I have to remove the winch and mail it out. You can't take the thing apart without removing it from the machine.

It has not been used very much at all. I plowed snow 2 or 3 times last winter, pulled a log, and tried to use it the other day and it didn't work. I have never submerged the winch. I keep it clean. I would have been extremely irritated if I had gotten stuck myself and couldn't get out.

I bought the nicest, most powerful, and most expensive winch hoping to not have problems. Now I have to tear the dumb thing off and mess around sending it to a service center at my expense. I know, stuff happens. But I just wanted to let you all know about the problem because I'm not too excited about the Warn brand.

I even asked them to help me troubleshoot, and they did. I figured I'd rather just fix it if it wasn't super expensive. On the Axon, the electronics are pretty much all one part. The part costs $400, so if I do it myself that's what it will cost.
The one we have on the wolverine an axiom 3500lb and its been a rockstar for 2 years now. I think it underrated. Swear it pulls better than my 4500lb superwinch. Probably a simple fluke your having issues.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bummer. It's a good looking winch but I haven't seen any reviews besides this on how it works. It's probably the only replacement I'd consider for my Superwinch Terra45 but I have 2 Terra45s so I probably won't need a replacement any time soon

I love the Terra winches, and that's what I intended to buy from the start. But the prices went crazy when I was shopping. I used the crap out of my Terra 3500 on my 500 and never had a problem

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well last night I finally got around to pulling the winch off. So I'll be boxing it up and hopefully sending it out today to the service center. Hoping this will be a smooth process with no surprises! If not, it will definitely the last Warn product I ever own.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well last night I finally got around to pulling the winch off. So I'll be boxing it up and hopefully sending it out today to the service center. Hoping this will be a smooth process with no surprises! If not, it will definitely the last Warn product I ever own.
I’m sure it’s some thing simple. I almost bought one but decided to save some money since I’d has such good luck with my viper on my 700. When I bought the 1000 I put a viper elite widespool on it and it’s been pretty great so far. I’ve not had to pull myself out but have made at least 13 recovery pulls, 2 of them were pretty brutal.

Reactions: wrhii and Plumber32
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’m sure it’s some thing simple. I almost bought one but decided to save some money since I’d has such good luck with my viper on my 700. When I bought the 1000 I put a viper elite widespool on it and it’s been pretty great so far. I’ve not had to pull myself out but have made at least 13 recovery pulls, 2 of them were pretty brutal.

I have debated about selling mine after it's fixed and just buying two harbor freight winches, one for a spare.

Reactions: wrhii and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have debated about selling mine after it's fixed and just buying two harbor freight winches, one for a spare.
You’ll probably never have another problem with it once you get it back. I’ve seen cheap and expensive winches fail. Might be luck of the draw.

Reactions: wrhii
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The same thing is going on with mine except mine will only pull in. At least I can still free spool it out . It’s aggravating because when I spool it in I have to leave the line loose on the front. If I pull it in too tight it is almost impossible to turn the red release on the side of the winch. What a inconvenience to have to take it off and send it in.

Reactions: wrhii and ehart814
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if you have to take all the wires off and send them with the winch? Or just send the winch in by itself?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The same thing is going on with mine except mine will only pull in. At least I can still free spool it out . It’s aggravating because when I spool it in I have to leave the line loose on the front. If I pull it in too tight it is almost impossible to turn the red release on the side of the winch. What a inconvenience to have to take it off and send it in.
I wonder if you have to take all the wires off and send them with the winch? Or just send the winch in by itself?

Wow that sucks you have the same issue. Is it an Axon?

At least you can pull yours in! Mine is completely worthless since it will only run out.

Yes, they told me I have to send in the wiring and switch so they can diagnose.

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow that sucks you have the same issue. Is it an Axon?

At least you can pull yours in! Mine is completely worthless since it will only run out.

Yes, they told me I have to send in the wiring and switch so they can diagnose.
Mine is a Axon. Your right at least it pulls in. That’s most of the reason I’m too lazy to get out there and take it off. Lol

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Update:

I sent the winch to Hoak's Four Wheel drive (warn service center) on 7/16, and I just received it today. So one week turnaround, including transit time. They replaced the motor assembly, under warranty. Haven't installed it yet. Hopefully it works!

Hoak's seemed like a good business. I spoke with them on the phone and they were very professional and courteous, and they didn't make any promises they couldn't keep. And I am satisfied with the turnaround time. Thumbs up to Hoak's.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

That’s discouraging. I have a new one in the box ready to go on. Hoping this works out for you.

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I vote you put the Warn back on and never have another issue.....🤞

Well that is the plan! But not feeling too warm and fuzzy about Warn after this order. But that's just my luck I guess. I'm just glad I didn't have my machine buried when I discovered the winch wouldn't pull!

I hope you have better luck with yours!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well that is the plan! But not feeling too warm and fuzzy about Warn after this order. But that's just my luck I guess. I'm just glad I didn't have my machine buried when I discovered the winch wouldn't pull!

I hope you have better luck with yours!
I installed a axon 4500rc haven't been able to test it. But the 3500 on my wolverine has been flawless. You'll be fine. They are a great winch.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I installed a axon 4500rc haven't been able to test it. But the 3500 on my wolverine has been flawless. You'll be fine. They are a great winch.
Sure hope so, they’re expensive and look really cool. Now if it works great....👍🤣

Reactions: ehart814
C

cgibbons46

Jul 17, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Seems to be a problem. Never used mine and first time I needed for a small job. Got the green/red light on pull with nothing. Axon 45-s

• Sad
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Seems to be a problem. Never used mine and first time I needed for a small job. Got the green/red light on pull with nothing. Axon 45-s

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I’ve used mine since it was repaired and it has been working well. It is really strong. It’s just a pain having to box it up and send it out. If you’re near PA send it to Hoaks. They did a good job and it was quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!