BOX1

Watch your muffler!!!

R

Rockfarmer816

Oct 7, 2013
I had a rattle in my exhaust system. Couldn't find it no matter what I did. Then I was out riding and the machine didn't want to go over 50 kph. Turned out the welds broke on one of the baffles inside the muffler and it was rattling against the spark arrester. If it turned a wee bit it plugged the exhaust and the bike stalled. Took it to the dealer and they installed a brand new exhaust system and the muffler itself looks I little more rugged. Just a heads up.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are you the same guy who had this at the other board?

K

kyhunter

Oct 30, 2013
Ive actually heard that happening to other pioneers..
Guy at the local Honda shop his fell apart..

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Rockfarmer816 said:
A guy at the other board had the same thing. Honda has mentioned it in their monthly service letter thing.

Sure would be nice to have some part #'s or visual identifiers to see of you have the less burly one.
Looks like the # listed is 18310-HL3-A00

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
DG

What monthly service letter are you referring too?

Thanks!

K

kyhunter

Oct 30, 2013
Id say he is talking about the monthly service letter the Service Manager and service Techs get at the Honda Shop.. It seems to be a common problem.. Id say there will be a recall before long

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i just read this post about the muffler. I got my pioneer the last weekend in august and have no problems just trying to get use to it since I have been on a Honda rubicon for the last 10 years this is my first sxs. anyway I was at the dealer the other day to get some oil and they had a pioneer there with the bed up and I saw that the exhaust system looked different. did not see this post before I saw the other pioneer at the dealer so didn't know about this the color looked like it was darker if I had read this post I would have ask the dealer about this just looked different may not be.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
i have been curious as to if there has been a running exhaust change.

Maybe we should all post pics of our exhausts to see any differences?

H

Hondaholic4

Jan 14, 2014
Mine is in the shop for the same thing. First they checked the cam and found it to be within specs but at the low end so their replacing that as well, my Honda service tech said the cam issue is common with that motor so they started there 1st. He was surprised to find mine that way with only 250 miles on it though.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
how did you know you had a cam problem besides the dealer telling you this. what was the pioneer doing or not doing to make you take it to the dealer to get checked.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondaholic4 said:
Mine is in the shop for the same thing. First they checked the cam and found it to be within specs but at the low end so their replacing that as well, my Honda service tech said the cam issue is common with that motor so they started there 1st. He was surprised to find mine that way with only 250 miles on it though.
Please keep us updated on this!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondaholic4 said:
Honda service tech said the cam issue is common with that motor
I think he is confused. lol.

Anyways,
Can you see if they will show you the muffler. try to get more info on the problem. I would like to post a picture so we know what is going on here.

@DG, I'll get a picture of mine tomorrow for you.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondasxs said:
Hondaholic4 said:
Honda service tech said the cam issue is common with that motor
I think he is confused. lol.

Anyways,
Can you see if they will show you the muffler. try to get more info on the problem. I would like to post a picture so we know what is going on here.

@DG, I'll get a picture of mine tomorrow for you.
I did a quick search of Rincon cam problems...and they do seem common.

A pic of? Your exhaust? Do you have the same issue?

H

Hondaholic4

Jan 14, 2014
While out riding on a 26 mile round trip my pioneer started losing power within two mile of home, by the time I got home I couldnt give it more than a quarter throttle because it would bog down. When I got it in the garage at home I tried reving it in neutral and it did the same thing. I told the service tech and he started with the cam. After eliminating the cam as the main issue they found the muffler to be plugged by a piece of broken off metal and the manager said replace both. My service tech said it looked like the muffler issue was caused at the factory by the installer over tightening a bolt. I'll update here when I know more and I will go there tomorrow and get pictures.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG Rider said:
No problems here.. you asked for pictures of exhaust a few post back.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondasxs said:
DG Rider said:
No problems here.. you asked for pictures of exhaust a few post back.
Oh....OK, I forgot this was an older post. Yes...pics please.

Hondaholic, please get as much info as possible about this...and pics galore.

My machine seems as though it has been losing power over the last 2 rides, but it is so subtle that it may be hard to tell. At this point, an issue causing power loss would be welcome, because the Pioneer has gotten into that habit of disappointing me on tough climbs.

Things that disappoint me don't tend to stick around long.

H

Hondaholic4

Jan 14, 2014
I noticed mine losing power a few rides before it finally broke loose, there was'nt a rattle or vibration even at the dealer. [album]1007[/album][album]1008[/album]

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
Wow is the end of the piece you're holding supposed to be all bent and curled over like that?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!