BOX1

P1000 Water in Gas after Washing P1000??

N

NorthStar

Jun 12, 2018
North
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got our 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 back from the mechanic (under 300 miles on the odometer). I gave it a good washing a couple of weeks ago with the garden hose and BAM! engine problems. It would only start after a couple minutes of cranking and would bog down and die constantly. I changed the oil the next day and noticed only a slight milkiness.

The mechanic explained the water that collected on the seat was somehow dripping into the gas tank (he had seen this exact issue before). The mechanic solved this by drilling a couple of holes under the seat to redirect the flow of water. I haven’t had time to actually look at the machine since picking it up, but wanted to make you all aware.

If this is true, it seems like a major design flaw. I originally thought it was the air intake issue so often mentioned here but couldn’t find any evidence of water in the intake or filter.

Any similar experiences or thoughts?

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
you need to extend the gas tank vent line there are some post on here on what to do. some dealers that had some units setting outside ran into the same problem when they would set out in heavy rains. a lot of other people have had the same problem when they wash there pioneer with water getting in the gas tank thru the vent line on the top of the gas tank. also did you drain the gas tank after this happened.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club.
Sorry to hear this. Yes, If you gave it a good wet washing you could have pulled water into your tank. The 16's were bad for this.
Drain your gas best you can. Refill with good, should be good to go once it clears the line.

Next, Extend/move your vent tube for the fuel tank.
Here is a PSA i need to push out again. Multi - PSA - Fuel tank breather hose - IMPORTANT modification for ALL!

Reactions: BWAF
N

NorthStar

Jun 12, 2018
North
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone! So it wasn't just a fluke. The mechanic drained all gas (and didn't even charge us). We got a couple of recall items done while we were at it (clutch, etc).

I have to say, after beating the hell out of Honda ATVs for years this Pioneer seems kind of ... needy. Especially when it comes to water!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks everyone! So it wasn't just a fluke. The mechanic drained all gas (and didn't even charge us). We got a couple of recall items done while we were at it (clutch, etc).

I have to say, after beating the hell out of Honda ATVs for years this Pioneer seems kind of ... needy. Especially when it comes to water!
Snorkel and vent lines makes quick work of water issues. Glad they got ya taken care of

Z

Zac88

Jul 5, 2019
New Brunswick
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got our 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 back from the mechanic (under 300 miles on the odometer). I gave it a good washing a couple of weeks ago with the garden hose and BAM! engine problems. It would only start after a couple minutes of cranking and would bog down and die constantly. I changed the oil the next day and noticed only a slight milkiness.

The mechanic explained the water that collected on the seat was somehow dripping into the gas tank (he had seen this exact issue before). The mechanic solved this by drilling a couple of holes under the seat to redirect the flow of water. I haven’t had time to actually look at the machine since picking it up, but wanted to make you all aware.

If this is true, it seems like a major design flaw. I originally thought it was the air intake issue so often mentioned here but couldn’t find any evidence of water in the intake or filter.

Any similar experiences or thoughts?
I just got my 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 back from the dealership for the Throttle recall and They told me it was running like crap, and looked into why. Apparently it was half full of gas, half full of water. They asked if I drove it through a Bog, but they sent me a picture of crystal clear water that was in the tank. So either Honda has a problem or they filled my gas tank with water, can't see them doing that. This is the picture of the mixture of what they sound in the tank. First recall on the Bike the Clutch System, second recall the Exhaust plates over heating. Third recall the Throttle sticking to the floor. Hopefully Honda gets on top of this and issues a recall.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got my 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 back from the dealership for the Throttle recall and They told me it was running like crap, and looked into why. Apparently it was half full of gas, half full of water. They asked if I drove it through a Bog, but they sent me a picture of crystal clear water that was in the tank. So either Honda has a problem or they filled my gas tank with water, can't see them doing that. This is the picture of the mixture of what they sound in the tank. First recall on the Bike the Clutch System, second recall the Exhaust plates over heating. Third recall the Throttle sticking to the floor. Hopefully Honda gets on top of this and issues a recall.

View attachment 139833
Did they or you store it outside in the rain? I would be asking. Especially if it ran good before.

Rain or a heavy wash will cause this. Honda has added addational frame drains.

Dealers have been made aware of this issue and a solution of adding more frame drain holes. Your dealer may have missed the memo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ryan1000camo

Ryan1000camo

May 31, 2016
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I had a similar issue with water in the gas after a good pressure washing my 2016 P1k. After a gas tank drain and vent tube extension ..problem solved. Seems the dealership in my area isn't on this forum but was happy for the info shared as well. Thanks again guys and extend those vent tubes.

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!