P1000 Water Intake Issue

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It seems the problem that our friend CP had with water completely destroying his engine after going through a puddle has started to be a much bigger issue and complaint and it's happening to more and more people.

They're are now multiple complaints about people who ran through a puddle and flooded the engine with water and Honda is refusing to honor.

SMH and extremely letdown when a company obviously has a design flaw and refuses to admit it's an issue and or stand behind it.

But I am curious if it's been brought to the attention of this site as in reading another forum, I came across an extremely easy fix that's actually pretty ingenious to solve this problem and cost about $10.

He took a 2 inch whole saw and put a new hole on the dash side of the air intake box under the hood.

Then he ran a piece of PVC pipe between the box and terminated it under the dash. Blocked off the original hole with a square piece of whatever material you choose.

Problem solved and air intake is now coming from under the dash.

I sure hope this hasn't been posted already :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thank you so much for mentioning this and bringing your information to the table. There are a couple people doing the same thing and I believe that is a good enough fix for most. I think everyone is pretty aware of the problem and attacking it how they seem fit. Everyone around water needs to protect their investment since Honda won't. For Honda to say it's not a problem is complete crap! I really hope they redesign this system. There has been an influx lately of this happening and it's only going to get worse being what time of year it is. Be careful everyone like Plummer says it's a cheap fix please consider

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Reactions: CumminsPusher
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Prob a dumb question but do you even need the pipe. Would a just hole on the opp side be effective? Disclaimer - I just bought mine and haven't even pulled this apart to looks at. I assume the intake hole face forward towards the radiator.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Even just a hole would help yes. I'd probably still do the tube because it's a little further water would have to travel. Yes you are correct with the forward facing as the problem.

Sent from iPhone

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I hope nobody minds me "borrowing" these pictures from another competitors forum :)
I seen this somewhere also.
But without sealing the black cover are they not just wasting time?

* unless I missed that part.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It pulls air from a different source. There is a theory that if you run through water at a fast speed it will push into the OEM location and lock her down.

Ill find some links for you in a bit. But it's a long read.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
its things like this that makes me cringe when I'm about ready to to get one from the dealer! I just sold my Polaris and I just cringe with the thought of going through a mud puddle and destroying a new engine

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
its things like this that makes me cringe when I'm about ready to to get one from the dealer! I just sold my Polaris and I just cringe with the thought of going through a mud puddle and destroying a new engine

Just snorkel or simply redirect the intake air and it won't be a problem. They moved it to the front to get cleaner air which works well however it can take in water that way.

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Hondasxs you should show pic of yours here because it's as simple but more effective. I think this setup will definitely help on average a ton but it should be sealed up a little better as sxs was saying

Sent from iPhone

GRANITE

GRANITE

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
won't this void the honda warranty? Do you silicone the tube in place where it passes through the oem white plastic? I guess I don't understand the left open hole, then the foam above the right hole and how that ties into the intake? excuse my ignorance!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No void on warranty apparently they just want the factory system in back from all I've seen, it'll still act the same however less chance of water. They will not take care of water in the motor (like every other company) so you'd have nothing to lose that way. I ran Joeys snorkel so if I had to return it back it's done very easily. Hondasxs is different but it would go back to factory without even a hood.
It should be sealed better but it's just changing direction of the input keeping water from being directly inhaled. It's still going through the foam which isn't a bad idea.

Sent from iPhone

GRANITE

GRANITE

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
thank you CP, I'm a Cummins man myself and live less than 90 min where Cummins HQ is!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I do like Cummins

Sent from iPhone

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Hondasxs you should show pic of yours here because it's as simple but more effective. I think this setup will definitely help on average a ton but it should be sealed up a little better as sxs was saying

Sent from iPhone
Ok.
Don't want to hijack Plumbers thread.
But here it is.
I'll start my own post tonight with part listing info.
28558db81d51acf082eca0a1cd7d81c2

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sorry Plummer I wasn't meaning to jack the thread either just figured same basic intake setup all done under the hood.

Sent from iPhone

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok.
Don't want to hijack Plumbers thread.
But here it is.
I'll start my own post tonight with part listing info.
View attachment 22373

I want this - look forward to your materials post..

BTW - how many rubber tube joints between the two air boxes? I know this has been debated as possible source of water ingestion.

Reactions: Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!