P1000 Weak Mode?

deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
My 2016 P1000-3 has developed a complex. It has decided to go into weak mode rather than perform it's assigned task. It won't shift gears (I think it is 2nd), can't switch to manual and it bucks like a mule. All symptoms of weak mode, sick mode, safe mode... I am getting a DTC code of 52 which indicates the TR Sensor (Transmission Range Sensor) is reading high voltage and/or the Neutral Switch is stuck. So, my plan is to replace both. Sounded pretty straight forward to me, but....

First, I cannot find anything with the name Transmission Range Sensor for the Pioneer. Looked at a variety of OEM parts places. The only thing that comes close is a Sensor Assy (350 Degree) part number 38800-HL4-003 on the crankcase. Bike Bandit (and everyone else) is pretty proud of this part. I am hesitant to bite the bullet if this isn't the part needed. Anyone familiar with replacing this and is that the right part number?

Second, so the Neutral Switch was pretty easy to locate. Part number 35600-HN7-003. I looked at the schematics and it appears there are two of these. One for the front final gear and one for the rear final gear. Well, that was unexpected! So, is there really two of these? Maybe all the stay at home and social distancing has got my brain rattled. I just want to ride out there it no mans land! Is anyone familiar with the Neutral switch?

If I am way off base please let me know. I thought this was going to be easy but I have already spent more time trying to find the stuff than it will take me to switch it out.

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a copy of the service manual. It will point out the proper names and locations of the sensors. Will also give proper diagnostic trees for testing. I'd say to look for chewed wires.

deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Thanks for the response. I do not have a service manual but will be getting one. The parts names came from the Honda service guy where i bought it so I ran with that. From your responses it sounds like I am not the first one to enjoy this issue...

Reactions: Lady01
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the response. I do not have a service manual but will be getting one. The parts names came from the Honda service guy where i bought it so I ran with that. From your responses it sounds like I am not the first one to enjoy this issue...
Mice eating wiring is common. Usually when it throws a code that isn't common, that is the first place to look. It isn't very often someone says they had to replace any of the transmission sensors.

deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Again, thanks everyone. Problem solved, at least for the time being. I downloaded the service manual and it will come in handy when I encounter a problem. Unfortunately, the names of the parts I was looking for were the same in the manual thus the problem finding part numbers will just have to persist. The diagrams and instructions are great.

Your suggestions for frayed wires (I didn't have any) led me to checking the battery. Although it started fine the battery was at 85%. The terminals on the primary battery were slightly loose so I tightened them down, charged the battery, reset the weak mode and it has been running great all day today. Stupid me, I had a dual battery setup installed awhile back and I failed to check their work. Won't be going back to them.

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am coming up with the same code. I've got the wire harness a mess at the moment looking for bad or broken wires. I have a service manual but for the life of me I can't see where the tr sensor is. Is it under the seat or under the bed?? Lol. I doubt its the sensor and I'm going to check my batteries like you suggested. It stopped shifting 40 miles into a ride.

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check chassis grounds as well.
Chassis grounds are good. Have one corroded terminal on my battery switch, a slightly loose battery wire, and I'm fixing a crappy wire on the shift motor. Really hoping this solves my issue. And thank you.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After I fixed the battery problem it has been running fine. I have a dual battery setup and the one that caused the problem was the original/primary.
Thank you for your reply. After many hours of working on it it still seems to have the same issue. Looks like I'll be replacing the TR sensor since I've gone over everything else.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!