Talon Week long ride ?

D

Doniton2

May 26, 2019
MO
Ownership

1. Talon R
So do any of you guys set these things up to head out for a week long off rode trip on? I’m into dual sport bikes and was going to set up a Talon so the wife can go with me and I can pack all my stuff on her. Just curios how it would do on a 1200 mile trip. What would be your suggestions be for spare parts to carry? I’m pretty self sufficient on the bike but am new to SXS. Our first trip won’t be until early fall so I have some time to play with it.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
In our lil group we have 8 Talons miles ranging from 1500 to 10k . Every type of terrain except deep mud . So far the total parts needed have been tire plugs . We have had a few minor seal leaks but nothing that would hinder a lil 1200 mile trip .

Reactions: Doniton2
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Your wife must be a lot different than my wife! Lol. We did a 250 mile 3 day overland trip last year on my little RZR900 Trail and even after installing a roof rack barely had enough room for all the stuff I had to take! Even with all this stuff I still got scolded for not having a big enough tent and a better mattress!!

5166D518 39CB 484F A7C7 B330003CF87E

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
In my opinion, on the Talon it is a challenge finding enough cargo space for even extensive day trips. Of course, I tend to over-pack with tools/equipment/recovery gear for most any eventuality (ever the boy scout). I'm not saying it can't be done, but I believe you're going to have to expand your cargo capacity by way of bed extenders, elevated/rooftop carriers and the like, all of which can affect the handling quality of the machine.

Currently, I'm carrying a couple of Rigid toolboxes which stack securely, a soft cooler, two Rotopak 1.5gal fuel packs mounted along with a fire extinguisher on the rear cage. I could certainly strap things on top of what I've already got, but at some point you begin looking like Jed Clampitt moving the family to Beverly. A bigger cargo box would be the first thing I'd change on the Talon if I could.

On the other hand, if she's riding solo, you do have the entire passenger seat for additional cargo capacity...

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Doniton2
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
for your clothes these bags work well keeping stuff clean & dry. Little pricy but good. Just bungy on & go

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So do any of you guys set these things up to head out for a week long off rode trip on? I’m into dual sport bikes and was going to set up a Talon so the wife can go with me and I can pack all my stuff on her. Just curios how it would do on a 1200 mile trip. What would be your suggestions be for spare parts to carry? I’m pretty self sufficient on the bike but am new to SXS. Our first trip won’t be until early fall so I have some time to play with it.
Sounds like fun. Mama would be really proud if you brought something like this along. Would solve a lot of problems.

A4493939 D19D 48FC A6D6 0D4E12745217

M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
my wife and i did a 7 day 6 night stay 840 mile loop and did fine we built a receiver hitch rack that comes up level with the cargo box gave us enough room for all of what we needed

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Have pictures of that? Where’d you do the week long at? My wife and I did the Magruder corridor Montana/Idaho with the set up pictured above last year.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have pictures of that? Where’d you do the week long at? My wife and I did the Magruder corridor Montana/Idaho with the set up pictured above last year.

Man, that had to have been a blast! When my wife and I meet you guys at Silverton this year, I need you to work on Carla to convince her that she might actually enjoy an adventure like that.

Steve

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Man, that had to have been a blast! When my wife and I meet you guys at Silverton this year, I need you to work on Carla to convince her that she might actually enjoy an adventure like that.

Steve
Typical camps along the route.

View attachment 183531

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would not try pulling that trailer through engineers pass in Silverton LOL

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I would not try pulling that trailer through engineers pass in Silverton LOL

The pioneers (people, not Hondas ☺ ) pulled a lot more with a lot less over much more rigorous trails than Engineers Pass. But, yes, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The pioneers (people, not Hondas ☺ ) pulled a lot more with a lot less over much more rigorous trails than Engineers Pass. But, yes, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Steve
True enough, and their missions were much more of necessity than ours. There’s an overlanding trek to be opening soon, that I think it was @orangecrate was telling me about, that will run from something like Montrose to Moab. That’s the type thing I’m interested in for using that tiny trailer. 👍

Reactions: stellarpod
M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
thats funny did the same trip over labor day but we left from standley id. I'm trying to figure out how to post pics

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!