Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I watched a Yamaha video on YouTube and they said they took notice of all the gripes on different machines and then built one to solve those problems. I drove everything made before I bought mine and am very happy with the choice I made.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I watched a Yamaha video on YouTube and they said they took notice of all the gripes on different machines and then built one to solve those problems. I drove everything made before I bought mine and am very happy with the choice I made.

Imagine if Honda started listening to us. They'd probably knock out 2 or 3 of their competitors. But, they won't. 🤦‍♂️

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Imagine if Honda started listening to us. They'd probably knock out 2 or 3 of their competitors. But, they won't. 🤦‍♂️
I agree they are capable but they are gonna do what they're gonna do. It's a shame when you have a great platform but refuse to listen to the consumer. I could list things Jackel didn't touch on that are nice and go along way with users

FJC 79

FJC 79

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have been a Honda diehard, only had Honda ATV & SXS as long as Honda made one (save for a PoPo in 2012 waiting on Pioneers). For 44 years I never considered another brand, but my wife needed something that was more comfortable for her and the bench seat wasn't cutting it and had to be able to have the doggo tag along.

After much consternation, finally settled on the Yamaha Wolverine RMAX4 1000 XT-R, located one in mid TN with no markup and made the 90 min drive to check it out, it followed me home.
View attachment 335029
View attachment 335030

Once home ran it for a little over 20 miles, swapping with wife driving and each of us riding in the back seats, had in running nonstop for 90 minutes and was very impressed with the absence of heat from the engine / exhaust / etc. compared to my old reliable P1K5LE with 12K miles on it.

Trail Speed noise Honda wins hands down - will definitely have to get used to the CVT system on RPM, spoiled by DCT that works perfectly.
Ride - no fair comparing a 5 yr old 12k miles clapped out machine to brand new but the RMAX4 was very nice, power steering is heaven.
Back Seat - no comparison in comfort, not same machines but RMAX is niiiiice oh did I mention no heat, even with engine cover up against your leg in back, no transfer through plastic.
View attachment 335032View attachment 335033

Didn't waste anytime adding front bash plate, A-arm guards front and back with rock sliders. Got the full UHMW skid arriving tomorrow, was impressed to see a full steel welded skid underneath, but don't want to ding it up on the rocks here.

Mighty slick machine, take the P1K5 Trail Edition add the Honda radio, OEM infotainment gadget, & roof you're talking the same price as the RMAX4 XT-R. Yamaha did their homework with integration, initially very impressed. Now will it hold up to 12K miles in East TN? We will see!
View attachment 335036
View attachment 335037
very nice Jackal congrats on the new machine

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have been a Honda diehard, only had Honda ATV & SXS as long as Honda made one (save for a PoPo in 2012 waiting on Pioneers). For 44 years I never considered another brand, but my wife needed something that was more comfortable for her and the bench seat wasn't cutting it and had to be able to have the doggo tag along.

After much consternation, finally settled on the Yamaha Wolverine RMAX4 1000 XT-R, located one in mid TN with no markup and made the 90 min drive to check it out, it followed me home.
View attachment 335029
View attachment 335030

Once home ran it for a little over 20 miles, swapping with wife driving and each of us riding in the back seats, had in running nonstop for 90 minutes and was very impressed with the absence of heat from the engine / exhaust / etc. compared to my old reliable P1K5LE with 12K miles on it.

Trail Speed noise Honda wins hands down - will definitely have to get used to the CVT system on RPM, spoiled by DCT that works perfectly.
Ride - no fair comparing a 5 yr old 12k miles clapped out machine to brand new but the RMAX4 was very nice, power steering is heaven.
Back Seat - no comparison in comfort, not same machines but RMAX is niiiiice oh did I mention no heat, even with engine cover up against your leg in back, no transfer through plastic.

Didn't waste anytime adding front bash plate, A-arm guards front and back with rock sliders. Got the full UHMW skid arriving tomorrow, was impressed to see a full steel welded skid underneath, but don't want to ding it up on the rocks here.

Mighty slick machine, take the P1K5 Trail Edition add the Honda radio, OEM infotainment gadget, & roof you're talking the same price as the RMAX4 XT-R. Yamaha did their homework with integration, initially very impressed. Now will it hold up to 12K miles in East TN? We will see!
View attachment 335036
View attachment 335037
Congrats and good luck with it !!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
How’s the legroom compared to the pioneer?
Equal to the P1K, but where your knees touch is padded on both sides for both front seats. Just got back from a 6 hour trail ride in it covered 70 miles. Will elaborate on the experience in next posts here.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So caught FedEx early and got my full UHMW skid plate, Yamaha brand. They did it right, approximately 40 bolts, not one hole to drill. Buttoned right up like one should.

I was already impressed by the full steel welded on underbelly, see picture below (yeah started left wing of skid before thinking about taking pictures.

20220520 134246

Below is full skid attached, layers right onto factory steel underbelly fully backing it up for rigidity.

20220520 142144

Got that all done in about an hour, everything lined up perfectly. No issues.

Headed out with wife and doggie for a 70 mile run this afternoon. Only complaint again was engine rpm noise thats the nature of CVTs. Wife still enjoyed it far better than the LE we have had.

20220520 165726

20220520 165738

20220520 174625

Great experience for the first 100 miles in 24 hours. Really appreciate the interior soft touch points as Yamaha calls them very comfortable on the knees and elbows.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Nice ride @JACKAL! If only they had turf mode.
Ain't no turf on the mountains, you skin Grizz Pilgrim? 😆

To that end, this RMAX goes exactly where you point it no matter how tight the turn in 2wd or 4wd. Although it's radius is about 4ft bigger than P1K, it doesn't feel that much different.

High speed manners up to 70 mph are very good and predictable on corners. 👍

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Honda's Achilles heel is the bean counters and lawyers, the engineering teams has some pretty good designs that never get past overly conservative approval process, thanks to the ATC vilification and legal damages from the mid 80's.

Sue me once, only bold new graphics for a decade for you.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I have been a Honda diehard since the age of 7, only had Honda ATV & SXS as long as Honda made one (save for a PoPo in 2012 waiting on Pioneers). For 44 years I never considered another brand, but my wife needed something that was more comfortable for her and the bench seat wasn't cutting it and had to be able to have the doggo tag along.

View attachment 335029
View attachment 335030

View attachment 335036
View attachment 335037
Very nice sxs you got Jackal

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been a Honda diehard since the age of 7, only had Honda ATV & SXS as long as Honda made one (save for a PoPo in 2012 waiting on Pioneers). For 44 years I never considered another brand, but my wife needed something that was more comfortable for her and the bench seat wasn't cutting it and had to be able to have the doggo tag along.

View attachment 335029
View attachment 335030

View attachment 335036
View attachment 335037
Love it and the color is awsome! My brother has one and it's been tough. And I think the nicest interior on the market by a long shot. They are prone to bending tie rods just like the Pioneer. Someone posted on Facebook that a pioneer tie rod fits it. But that would be a good aftermarket upgrade off the bat so your not doing it on the trail. Can't wait to see it in a couple weeks!

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
@JACKAL if you dump the rear sway bar it's an incredible improvement in stability and ride.
Last year we had one with us and he was rocking a wheel in the air to frequent. We dumped the rear sway bar and oh my the articulation was incredible. And all wheels stay planted.
Mine came without rear swaybars . I got the higher end shocks of their models and says they will keep it stable while allowing articulation.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!