Talon Went to check out talon at IMS in New York

N

Neilsjoshn

Aug 8, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a chance to see the talon in person on Sunday up at the IMS show in NYC, before I put a deposit down I wanted to make sure I could in it as I’m 6’7”
I was pleasantly surprised that I could fit. The seats are extremely comfortable and nice and wide up by the shoulders. I love my Pioneer 5 1000 LE but will be getting a talon R to see how to new 4+ link rear suspension works. The fit and finish is really top notch. I have ridden many rzr and have an x3 and am really excited about Honda entering the sport side by side market.

26e647b9dda641cefc697ba61b43fb8e84f4a108418cb9b01f40a3337c08a41f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I got a chance to see the talon in person on Sunday up at the IMS show in NYC, before I put a deposit down I wanted to make sure I could in it as I’m 6’7”
I was pleasantly surprised that I could fit. The seats are extremely comfortable and nice and wide up by the shoulders. I love my Pioneer 5 1000 LE but will be getting a talon R to see how to new 4+ link rear suspension works. The fit and finish is really top notch. I have ridden many rzr and have an x3 and am really excited about Honda entering the sport side by side market.

View attachment 96315View attachment 96316

Are you keeping the x3? Also have you spent any time around the Yxz and if so how would you say initial quality felt between the two?

V

visbeenk

Oct 26, 2018
New Jersey
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I went and saw the Talon in person at the IMS as well but I went on Saturday. It looks great in person and the fit and finish I feel is top notch. Yamaha had the new yxz1000r at the show as well so I went back and forth and sat in both a few different times while I was there. The biggest thing that I noticed between the two machines is in the Honda you sit alot more upright vs the Yamaha's seating position is more reclined. Also I felt I had more leg room in the yxz1000r vs the Talon with the seat all the way back but I am only 5'-10" so either one was very comfortable. Lastly between the two I would say that the quality of the Talon is superior to the yxz1000r with the way it is put together. Everything just felt solid on the Talon.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I went and saw the Talon in person at the IMS as well but I went on Saturday. It looks great in person and the fit and finish I feel is top notch. Yamaha had the new yxz1000r at the show as well so I went back and forth and sat in both a few different times while I was there. The biggest thing that I noticed between the two machines is in the Honda you sit alot more upright vs the Yamaha's seating position is more reclined. Also I felt I had more leg room in the yxz1000r vs the Talon with the seat all the way back but I am only 5'-10" so either one was very comfortable. Lastly between the two I would say that the quality of the Talon is superior to the yxz1000r with the way it is put together. Everything just felt solid on the Talon.
That’s pretty cool you were able to check it out. Thanks so much for your impressions in both

V

visbeenk

Oct 26, 2018
New Jersey
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That’s pretty cool you were able to check it out. Thanks so much for your impressions in both
Your very welcome. I am looking to buy either the Talon or the yxz next year in the spring so I wanted to get a feel for both of the machines in person at the same time so I could compare the two. One additional thing that stood out was the size of the rear cargo area of the Talon. Its alot bigger than I thought from the pictures. I asked the Honda reps that were there if they knew the dimensions of the cargo area but none of them had the specs on it and I didnt have a measuring tape on me. Regardless its nice and big especially when compared to the 2019 yxz1000r since the radiator has been moved to the back for this model year. This feature alone has me leaning towards buying the Talon 1000x. Hopefully the price of the Talon comes in cheaper than the yxz1000r but either way I am going to have a tough time deciding between the two.

N

Neilsjoshn

Aug 8, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you keeping the x3? Also have you spent any time around the Yxz and if so how would you say initial quality felt between the two?

Yes I plan on keeping the x3, The x3 if extremely fast but not smooth at slow speeds and squeaks and make noises I imagine the talon will not. When I compare my pioneer to my ranger 1000 or the my brother defender hd10 I’m hoping the talon is the same compared to rzr and x3. My brother has a yxz and they both feel very nice in build quality but I agree that the talon feels nicer and built better. The wide bolster on the talon seats up by shoulders fits me way better then the yxz seat which I feel slopes too much.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes I plan on keeping the x3, The x3 if extremely fast but not smooth at slow speeds and squeaks and make noises I imagine the talon will not. When I compare my pioneer to my ranger 1000 or the my brother defender hd10 I’m hoping the talon is the same compared to rzr and x3. My brother has a yxz and they both feel very nice in build quality but I agree that the talon feels nicer and built better. The wide bolster on the talon seats up by shoulders fits me way better then the yxz seat which I feel slopes too much.

Excellent feedback. A lot of good information

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Either way, I'm sunk, need to haul three pups and a passenger Don't ask!

Reactions: sharp
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The 2019 YXZ is a great choice if you need a turbo. The maintenance is a PITA. Nothing is easy, same for many repairs and I had about $3,500 in repairs so far. I'm doing a 16,500 mile service on mine.

Reactions: oilslick and sharp
Doc-TEAMWAX

Doc-TEAMWAX

Nov 27, 2018
Wax, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R

View attachment 96315View attachment 96316

Does anyone know if a Talon will be shown in or near KY anytime soon?

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
has anyone looked under the hood? How is storage under there, if any? Loved the battery being under the hood and setup for dual battery easily on the pioneer, but see the Talon battery is behind the driver seat now.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
has anyone looked under the hood? How is storage under there, if any? Loved the battery being under the hood and setup for dual battery easily on the pioneer, but see the Talon battery is behind the driver seat now.
Looked like an empty opening / no plastics.

Reactions: Dragon21

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!