BOX1

P1000 Wet Washdown - Now Won't Start.......

S

Sumtoc

Mar 28, 2018
Milton FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2016 1000-5, low miles, lightly used, spent about 2 years under a lean-to with a dirt floor, but was driven about every 6 weeks. Have a new spot in our garage so decided today was the day to do a full wash job inside and out. Used soapy water, brushes and rags. Multiple rinses with hose, knocked some of the water off with a battery powered blower.

A little hard to start, then caught. Drove it about 50 yards, left it running while I re-loaded the bed. It died and now won't start. Spins freely but does not fire. New battery last year, gas is pretty fresh but topped it off with fresh just to be sure. No sign of water in or around the air intake. It has the upgraded breather.

Wet plug wires? Water in the gas? (hard to believe since the fill cap seals tight). Suggestions please.......thanks

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Start with the basics. Fuel, spark, air, compression is all you need to run.
Is the fuel pump running when you turn on the key?
Have you looked at the air filter? Plugged or wet?
Pull the plugs, have someone crank over while holding the body on the engine or frame, is there spark?

Reactions: Lady01 and Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well..
Gas vent.. is it extended?

2016 and 2017 was bad. Leaving a machine in the rain or a good hard wash would push water through the vent and into the tank.

Official solution was to drill extra drain holes for water inside the frame to escape.

Relocating the vent tubes solved this as well.

Could be something else as well I guess.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

S

Sumtoc

Mar 28, 2018
Milton FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well..
Gas vent.. is it extended?

2016 and 2017 was bad. Leaving a machine in the rain or a good hard wash would push water through the vent and into the tank.

Official solution was to drill extra drain holes for water inside the frame to escape.

Relocating the vent tubes solved this as well.

Could be something else as well I guess.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
No vent extensions at all, just the breather box upgrade. Didn't think I'd need them since this is really just a yard donkey, never intended to hit the trails, etc. Now I know better....

Is there an online reference that shows how to access the engine, plugs, etc? Sounds like checking those is next. If that's not it sounds like I'll need directions to drain the (watery) fuel tank......

Thanks

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
S

Sumtoc

Mar 28, 2018
Milton FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update, just tried to start it again and it caught and ran several times but only for 3-5 seconds before dying again. So seems like water in the fuel, right? Best source for fuel tank draining directions?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have the airbox still off... Will it fire with some ether?
Just seen your newest post..
Sucking it out or syphon it out best you can.
If you have a fuel pump...

Removing the fuel pump if you need it really clean, but I think if you get 95% out and refill with good... Should do the trick.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A quarter of a bottle of Isopropyl (dry gas) wouldn't be a bad idea either, it will absorb any remaining water that may be leftover after you drain it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
How old is the gas? If it's old gasoline in the tank that would be your most likely cause. Suction it out and replace it with fresh gas - ethanol free if possible.

Thank a politician for ethanol in our gasoline.

S

Sumtoc

Mar 28, 2018
Milton FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gas is only about 3 months old. The storage in the lean-to was what prompted the big washing event, it was filthy. But still used it a bit during that time.

Today I drained the tank, got most of it out with a siphon pump. Added a half bottle of Heet (directions say a full bottle will treat 20 gallons), then filled it with ethanol free gas (at $4.00/gal....). Was initially hard to start and keep running but figured I needed to get the bad gas burnt out of the lines, etc. so kept at it. After 3-4 minutes it started running better and now seems fine.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Vent kit ordered, should be here in a couple of days.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Put the gas that you sucked out into a clear jug. Let it sit overnight and if there's water in the gas you should see it in the bottom of the jug. Then you'll know for sure that yo had water in the gas. Or if so inclined you can buy a funnel that won;t allow water through it when you pour water contaminated gas through it.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
S

Sumtoc

Mar 28, 2018
Milton FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put the gas that you sucked out into a clear jug. Let it sit overnight and if there's water in the gas you should see it in the bottom of the jug. Then you'll know for sure that yo had water in the gas. Or if so inclined you can buy a funnel that won;t allow water through it when you pour water contaminated gas through it.
Good idea but I've already put it into 2 old gas containers that are now marked "Bad Gas". We'll use this for burning brush after storms.....

M

Medic828

Sep 7, 2020
Central Ky.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good idea but I've already put it into 2 old gas containers that are now marked "Bad Gas". We'll use this for burning brush after storms.....
As a medic that has transported numerous people with severe burns after using gas to burn things, I would say get rid of that gas and replace it with diesel for that purpose. Glad the unit is running better now.

J

jlynnliv

Mar 21, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I own a 2016 1000-3 and have had lots of experience in troubleshooting this vehicle. With luck, you did indeed have a fuel issue, and you have solved your problem. However...

The 2016 Pioneer 1000 had a lot of issues with defective wiring. Mine was dealer replaced prior to the warranty expiring when I took it back under warranty when it refused to crank. Since then, I have had some issues with the new harness also. I used to wash the engine off, but have since learned to avoid getting the wiring harness unnecessarily wet if possible. We had a very foggy night once and my Pioneer, which was parked on an open carport, refused to crank until it had thoroughly dried out. The last time I had trouble was with a defective wiring connection on the #2 fuel injector....another common problem with this year model. At that point, I repaired that and pulled all the wiring connections I could and coated with dielectric grease before reconnecting. Haven't had any issues since. I purchased a shop manual early on that also diagnoses the engine codes. It has been a life saver.

So, I'm hoping your problem was fuel related, but if not, then don't discount something like electrical issues that can manifest themselves in a variety of ways.

Reactions: Mudwing
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know if you let something sit outside here for six weeks at a time, you'd have mice in it..

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!