P1000 What is the advantage of bigger tires?

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still have stock tires on my P1K5D ... Hope to have that changed by the time of the RRB shindig.
I was planning to buy tires (28x10x14) so that I would not have to raise the buggy, but so many are doing that that there must be a few advantages besides better clearance.
And there has to be a limit / downside if you go to big your buggy will not have the speed or power of others due to the extra weight, right?
So what do you think is the best bang for the buck size of tire to put on a P1k?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Easier rolling resistance over obstacles, smoother ride, little more hookup because of tire flex
Downside slightly harder on clutches(however I think that’s debatable being it rolls over obstacles better) slightly less tug because gearing changes to higher. A little less stability.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still have stock tires on my P1K5D ... Hope to have that changed by the time of the RRB shindig.
I was planning to buy tires (28x10x14) so that I would not have to raise the buggy, but so many are doing that that there must be a few advantages besides better clearance.
And there has to be a limit / downside if you go to big your buggy will not have the speed or power of others due to the extra weight, right?
So what do you think is the best bang for the buck size of tire to put on a P1k?
28" is the limit without a arms. 28" is a great size for the 1000. I run 30s now simply because i can. They look cool. And make up for lacking in other areas ;)

J

JTW

Ground clearance was my main reason.. the big horns run small. So a true 28” give you a little extra. Not to mention the benefit of a higher ply tire. Add a HL lift and I’ve got 14” of gc across the belly. Anymore than 28” and you’ve got to take the step of forward A arms.. I just didn’t want to do that.

Reactions: ZeroG and Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ground clearance was my main reason.. the big horns run small. So a true 28” give you a little extra. Not to mention the benefit of a higher ply tire. Add a HL lift and I’ve got 14” of gc across the belly. Anymore than 28” and you’ve got to take the step of forward A arms.. I just didn’t want to do that.
Some day when you are more committed to this sport !

Reactions: Neohio and JTW
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll probably avoid changing the A-arm's for now. So most likely go with 28's. I did see a post somewhere that someone said he was running 29's with no mods. That would be nice.
My dealer offers tires so I wll shop there and a local tire shop. Were you guys able to buy local or did you have to buy online? If online please list sites with good deals.

J

JTW

I'll probably avoid changing the A-arm's for now. So most likely go with 28's. I did see a post somewhere that someone said he was running 29's with no mods. That would be nice.
My dealer offers tires so I wll shop there and a local tire shop. Were you guys able to buy local or did you have to buy online? If online please list sites with good deals.
Depends on the tires you want.. also.. just because it says 28 or 29 inches doesn’t mean it runs true to size. Decide what tire you want and decide size from there.

RMATV.com Or SuperATV.com are good places to start

Reactions: Plumber32 and ZeroG
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
ATV Wheels - Tirewiz.com

Reactions: ZeroG
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's something all owners of P1 should check, rear top A arm bindage, easy to check, take out top bolt out of knuckle and check for free movement up and down, mine didn't have floating bushings, just a molded in rubber grommet with a non removable sleeve for the bolt. I found this out during the install of my new A arms. Took the top knuckle bolt out and A arm jumped up 4 inches, which means it was pulling up on the springs, no wonder with my stock A arms the rear was squatting.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
28 x 10 x 12 is another (less popular) option. If your not lacking in other areas @Plumber32.
I love the look and feel of mine.
IMG 3189

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Here's something all owners of P1 should check, rear top A arm bindage, easy to check, take out top bolt out of knuckle and check for free movement up and down, mine didn't have floating bushings, just a molded in rubber grommet with a non removable sleeve for the bolt. I found this out during the install of my new A arms. Took the top knuckle bolt out and A arm jumped up 4 inches, which means it was pulling up on the springs, no wonder with my stock A arms the rear was squatting.
@Smitty335, this should be set mid stroke. It's very important to prevent damage to these bushings.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Reactions: lee
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Smitty335, this should be set mid stroke. It's very important to prevent damage to these bushings.

Sent via Tapatalk.
Makes since, but if you upgrade shocks, and want performance, I would want the same resistance in the full range. I know this isn't a high performance buggy, I've never dealt with a suspension like this before and would have been a question in my mind upon purchase. I've got new A arms now, that have floating bushings, now my tweaks on my shocks should be more noticeable. Thanks for the explanation.

H

Honda-SxS-P3

I’m running a mud claw lt235/75R15 on mine. Equals out to a 29.5, stock A arms and suspension. No problems or scrubbing

Reactions: dotman1 and ZeroG
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I notice that bigger tires allow me to run over branches and sticks without them popping up and hitting the bottom as much as my smaller stock tires. And it has less of a footprint on soft terrain.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My tires are 29, but measure 28.25". I had to modify my skid plate to fit them, have only had them hit the wheel well once when riding.

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I notice that bigger tires allow me to run over branches and sticks without them popping up and hitting the bottom as much as my smaller stock tires. And it has less of a footprint on soft terrain.

Not sure what you mean by less footprint ....I do understand footprint but why would a bigger tire have less footprint.
Or maybe you mean a bigger footprint so the load is spread out more over soft terrain. Right?

Reactions: ohanacreek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure what you mean by less footprint ....I do understand footprint but why would a bigger tire have less footprint.
Or maybe you mean a bigger footprint so the load is spread out more over soft terrain. Right?
Haha yes I mean like snow shoes. Pounds per square inch are less cause it's spread out wider.
I don't leave as big of grooves cause I tend to float over softer ground rather than cut narrow grooves..........
It's hard sometime for me to write down what the voices in my head say:D

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haha yes I mean like snow shoes. Pounds per square inch are less cause it's spread out wider.
I don't leave as big of grooves cause I tend to float over softer ground rather than cut narrow grooves..........
It's hard sometime for me to write down what the voices in my head say:D

LOL I sure know that feeling....all to well. Thanks for your input. :D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!