What is the difference between a SXS, UTV, MUV, ROV

admin

admin

Your club! I just turn it on!
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
So what is the difference? Well in short.... NOTHING.
Though each manufacture has tried to "brand" there line of off road buggy, each describes a vehicle very similar in nature. In 1987 John Deere introduced the Gator AMT (All-Material Transporter). Though we cant say for sure Deere made the first ever SXS, we can say they were a major player to introduce the SXS to the world and help set the ground work for the future.

In 2008 Honda release the Big Red as a MUV (Multipurpose Utility Vehicle) hoping it would appeal to a different variant of buyers. However later in 2013 Honda updated there line and changed to using the term Side by Side. Now the SXS has become the standard across all major players in the market.

So what does each acronym mean?
SXS - Side by Side
UTV - Utility Task Vehicle
MUV - Multipurpose Utility Vehicle
ROV - Recreational Off highway Vehicle
AMT - All-Material Transporter

Currently all the major ATV manufactures, Including Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, and Kawasaki all refer to there vehicles as a Side by Side (SXS)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So what is the difference? Well in short.... NOTHING.
Though each manufacture has tried to "brand" there line of off road buggy, each describes a vehicle very similar in nature. In 1987 John Deere introduced the Gator AMT (All-Material Transporter). Though we cant say for sure Deere made the first ever SXS, we can say they were a major player to introduce the SXS to the world and help set the ground work for the future.

In 2008 Honda release the Big Red as a MUV (Multipurpose Utility Vehicle) hoping it would appeal to a different variant of buyers. However later in 2013 Honda updated there line and changed to using the term Side by Side. Now the SXS has become the standard across all major players in the market.

So what does each acronym mean?
SXS - Side by Side
UTV - Utility Task Vehicle
MUV - Multipurpose Utility Vehicle
ROV - Recreational Off highway Vehicle
AMT - All-Material Transporter

Currently all the major ATV manufactures, Including Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, and Kawasaki all refer to there vehicles as a Side by Side (SXS)
I thought ROV meant Roll Over Vehicle, thats why I stayed clear. HA!

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Two years ago in British Columbia the government brought in the requirement to license plate ATVs and UTVs. The legislation uses the term ORV: Off-road vehicle.
Al

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Smitty335,
I laugh every time you dig up one of these old post. How far things have gone.

I challenge you to find the first post ever posted...
Well the second one really. #1 must have been deleted.
Ok, I like history

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!