Talon What is the magic formula

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
What is the spacer size needed for the rear to run the 15x7 6+1 on all 4 wheels and keep the factory width? If I am reading right it would be about 1.5” is that correct? I’d like to run the same size all the way around so I can carry a spare.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What is the spacer size needed for the rear to run the 15x7 6+1 on all 4 wheels? If I am reading right it would be about 1.5” is that correct? I’d like to run the same size all the way around so I can carry a spare.

No matter the wheel offset you add 1" spacer to rear to even out track front to rear. I would recommend 5+2 offset wheels for greater choice selection.

OEM is 30mm front and 50mm rear offset, 26mm is approximately 1"

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
No matter the wheel offset you add 1" spacer to rear to even out track front to rear. I would recommend 5+2 offset wheels for greater choice selection.

OEM is 30mm front and 50mm rear offset, 26mm is approximately 1"
But the oem rear wheel is also wider so wouldn’t you need to account for that with the spacer as well as the 20mm of offset. Sorry for all the questions, i hate figuring out offset, backspace and width, it confuses the crap out of me!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
But the oem rear wheel is also wider so wouldn’t you need to account for that with the spacer as well as the 20mm of offset. Sorry for all the questions, i hate figuring out offset, backspace and width, it confuses the crap out of me!
You are over thinking it, first you are not using 6" front wheels / 9" tires and 8" rear wheels / 11" tires, you are replacing all with 7" wheels with same width tires. Therefore only the difference in offset of wheel center is needed to correct the wheel track. Historically without spacers you would be 2" narrower in rear than front. So 1' spacers get you very close.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
You are over thinking it, first you are not using 6" front wheels / 9" tires and 8" rear wheels / 11" tires, you are replacing all with 7" wheels with same width tires. Therefore only the difference in offset of wheel center is needed to correct the wheel track. Historically without spacers you would be 2" narrower in rear than front. So 1' spacers get you very close.
Sweet, thank you for the help. Can I ask anither stupid question? When I did wheels and tires for my on road vehicles I just had to know what backspace and offset to order and offset is measured in mm and most of the time backspace was measured in inches. So my truck has 4.5” of backspace and -12mm offset. What is 6-1 or 5-2 mean on these ATV wheels? Don’t mean to sound ignorant!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Sweet, thank you for the help. Can I ask anither stupid question? When I did wheels and tires for my on road vehicles I just had to know what backspace and offset to order and offset is measured in mm and most of the time backspace was measured in inches. So my truck has 4.5” of backspace and -12mm offset. What is 6-1 or 5-2 mean on these ATV wheels? Don’t mean to sound ignorant!
7" wheels are either 6+1, 5+2, 4+3 offsets typically. Hence 5"+2"=7" which is 2" out from center, that's typically the most popular except for mud bugs who need / want more clearance for really wide tires so they typically get 4+3 offset.
Example say you get 5+2 wheels running 10" wide tires all around on a 1000x you will be about 66" in front and an R would be about 70" wide, but with 4+3 wheels and 12" wide tires that would add an additional 4-5" in overall width.

Reactions: CincyCuda68
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
According to my spreadsheet (yes, I actually created a spreadsheet for this), the difference is 1.55" to exactly to even it out if you are using the same tire and offset front and rear so you need 1.5" spacers. Maybe your suspension wasn't all the way settled when you measured so that is why you measured 1.75" off instead of 1" off.

BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
According to my spreadsheet (yes, I actually created a spreadsheet for this), the difference is 1.55" to exactly to even it out if you are using the same tire and offset front and rear so you need 1.5" spacers. Maybe your suspension wasn't all the way settled when you measured so that is why you measured 1.75" off instead of 1" off.

Thanks for the confirmation, the suspension is defiantly not settled. 1" sent back and 1 1/2 ordered.

Update 1 1/2 installed and it is perfect

Last edited:
Cowboy02

Cowboy02

May 5, 2019
Northern Ca
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Thanks for the confirmation, the suspension is defiantly not settled. 1" sent back and 1 1/2 ordered.

Update 1 1/2 installed and it is perfect
Wow, great discussion on wheels. I too am looking to change my wheels and tires to 30 x 10 x 15. It sounds like it all worked out for you on the offset and spacers would you mind tell me what rims and spacers you used?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wow, great discussion on wheels. I too am looking to change my wheels and tires to 30 x 10 x 15. It sounds like it all worked out for you on the offset and spacers would you mind tell me what rims and spacers you used?
STI HD9 14" in the 6+1 or 5+2 offset are known to clear the brake caliper and upper control arm on the front of an X (they will clear an R but removing some material from the upper control arm is recommended). It is not known if the System 3 14" will clear.

Any brand 15" should clear. If using the same offset front and rear, you need 1.5" spacers on the rear to even out the width.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!