BOX1

What lift to buy for the shop?

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I want to buy a lift for the Talon and or other machines. I see Redline makes some side x side lifts. But Titan makes a car lift rated for 6,600 Lbs. (yea, that is overkill) with adjustable arms so you can move them inside to lift from the skid plate. The titan is 39.5" wide, so if I used it without the arms it going to hit the suspension before the skid plate. Thus the adjustable arms. The Titan is about $1800 give or take a few bucks. So that is pretty attractive considering the cost of a Redline. My garage has radiant floor heat, so I cannot mount a post lift. If you have a lift and your really happy with it, please share.
Thanks!

Reactions: Vikes79
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I feel your pain. About 6 years ago I agonized over what lift to buy for my home shop, 2 post or 4 post. I weighed the pros and cons of each and ended up with the longest, widest and tallest 4 post I could find. In the end, it was the floor thickness that made my decision for me, I would need at least 6" reinforced concrete for a 2 post and I didn't want to redo the floor.

Because of many years using a single (center post) and 2 post racks, I was reluctant but in the end, the 4 post was my best option and turned out to be the best decision. If you have the headroom (at least 12-13 feet ceiling), a 4 post may worth considering.
  • No bolt down required and you can move it around if you want/need (it comes with wheels). I have even used it outside. Mine is now bolted to the floor.
  • It fits everything from my previous Rhino to my F-250 Crew Cab. However, it is not wide enough for my 1 ton DRW but I can pull the front wheels on and lift the front by itself.
  • Easy to do repairs that require the car to be on it's suspension (like exhaust work).
  • Working underneath is so easy, for instance...
    • Takes 5 minutes to remove skid plates on my Talon. Installed 1/2" UHMW skids in less then an hour with ease.
    • Lift half way for things like Lower Door Install.
    • Oil changes without laying on your back.
    • Did I mention cleaning? Cleaning the sides and bottom of my cars is now SO much easier.
  • Contrary to popular belief, you can pull tires and work on the suspension. This was one of my concerns but I quickly discovered it is possible. See below, my F-250 changing front ring and pinion, seals, etc.
  • Storage/extra stall space. You can store a car up there and park another below. This was an unexpected bonus for me.

20160109 164751 2

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
So I want to buy a lift for the Talon and or other machines. I see Redline makes some side x side lifts. But Titan makes a car lift rated for 6,600 Lbs. (yea, that is overkill) with adjustable arms so you can move them inside to lift from the skid plate. The titan is 39.5" wide, so if I used it without the arms it going to hit the suspension before the skid plate. Thus the adjustable arms. The Titan is about $1800 give or take a few bucks. So that is pretty attractive considering the cost of a Redline. My garage has radiant floor heat, so I cannot mount a post lift. If you have a lift and your really happy with it, please share.
Thanks!

If you rent an infrared camera it’s very easy to mount a 2 post lift.

let the garage cool down first then crank the heat and mark tubes in chalk.

typical tubes are 12-18” apart

highly recommend an offset post setup if you will ever park a vehicle in that space. (Allows driver door opening)

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I have very little experience with lifts, but have been highly considering a 6000# mid rise car lift. They are reasonbly priced, compact and easy to move when not being used.
I would mostly use for sxs or jeep Several different brands available, but here is an example.

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
I recently installed a Weaver two post overhead lift, W10PRO. I did have to redo a portion of the concrete but it was not a big deal using a ball point pen. Lol I can now work on anything I have with ease, love it.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the input. I do not have the head room in that garage for a post lift. My hope is to build a shop in the next 5 years and have the overhead room to put something like that 4 post lift in. The mid-rise lift seems to be the way to go. I do like the fact that I could lift up a car on it if I had to. I'll probably go that way. The issue with the one Vondy posted is it's 40" wide, so its going to lift on the suspension unless you put blocks or jack stands on it to lift from the skid plate. The down fall to that one, or the 6,600 Lbs one, is that you would need to modify either one to lift it up on all 4 wheels. I'm in the steel business, so I can probably get one of my customers to make something to put on to lift from the wheels.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
We have a company called VSG here in Madison, and they make all the top lift brands. Rotary, Revolution, Forward Lift, and Direct Lift. We have a couple 2 pole lifts, but the majority in the shop are the 6k lbs. Mid-Rise lifts like this.
And this:

Reactions: Vikes79 and TripleB
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
We have a company called VSG here in Madison, and they make all the top lift brands. Rotary, Revolution, Forward Lift, and Direct Lift. We have a couple 2 pole lifts, but the majority in the shop are the 6k lbs. Mid-Rise lifts like this.
And this:
Thanks! I'd like to buy one that is made in the USA. The Titan lifts are distributed out of Greenwood IN, I live in Shelbyville. If this is Erik, you might remember me, we have talked before. I like the 6000MRL as it comes with the posts to lift at the skid plate. I'll have to check to see how long the post are, but it should work.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do a 4 post and add the middle lifts and you can afford. You can even buy a nice 4 post with rollers.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I bought a used Forward 2 post. It is a very handy tool in my shop.
Call the shop managers of a couple of the big 3 auto dealership in your area. Many of the dealerships replace lifts after a few years of use. For insurance reasons. Mine was is perfect consitionsand only 5 years old. #7000 $2500 installed in my shop.

J

JTW

I feel your pain. About 6 years ago I agonized over what lift to buy for my home shop, 2 post or 4 post. I weighed the pros and cons of each and ended up with the longest, widest and tallest 4 post I could find. In the end, it was the floor thickness that made my decision for me, I would need at least 6" reinforced concrete for a 2 post and I didn't want to redo the floor.

Because of many years using a single (center post) and 2 post racks, I was reluctant but in the end, the 4 post was my best option and turned out to be the best decision. If you have the headroom (at least 12-13 feet ceiling), a 4 post may worth considering.
  • No bolt down required and you can move it around if you want/need (it comes with wheels). I have even used it outside. Mine is now bolted to the floor.
  • It fits everything from my previous Rhino to my F-250 Crew Cab. However, it is not wide enough for my 1 ton DRW but I can pull the front wheels on and lift the front by itself.
  • Easy to do repairs that require the car to be on it's suspension (like exhaust work).
  • Working underneath is so easy, for instance...
    • Takes 5 minutes to remove skid plates on my Talon. Installed 1/2" UHMW skids in less then an hour with ease.
    • Lift half way for things like Lower Door Install.
    • Oil changes without laying on your back.
    • Did I mention cleaning? Cleaning the sides and bottom of my cars is now SO much easier.
  • Contrary to popular belief, you can pull tires and work on the suspension. This was one of my concerns but I quickly discovered it is possible. See below, my F-250 changing front ring and pinion, seals, etc.
  • Storage/extra stall space. You can store a car up there and park another below. This was an unexpected bonus for me.

View attachment 213589
So I’ve got a 4 post lift in one of our shops. It’s awesome.. but I haven’t decided on a suspension work setup for doing various equipment that would work well across the board. Are you just using a bottle jack(s) and then sliding the jack stands in on everything, or is there something else you’re doing I’m not seeing?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
From someone who uses lifts every day, I hate 4 post lifts for any type of mechanical work, though they certainly beat nothing.
They are good for oil changes and quick inspections (and necessary for alignments), but it's the last lift we use for any type of work.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
From someone who uses lifts every day, I hate 4 post lifts for any type of mechanical work, though they certainly beat nothing.
They are good for oil changes and quick inspections (and necessary for alignments), but it's the last lift we use for any type of work.
Yep the 4 posts are in the way always......

short 2 post lift if you have limited headroom.

Reactions: DG Rider
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Thanks! I'd like to buy one that is made in the USA. The Titan lifts are distributed out of Greenwood IN, I live in Shelbyville. If this is Erik, you might remember me, we have talked before. I like the 6000MRL as it comes with the posts to lift at the skid plate. I'll have to check to see how long the post are, but it should work.
Hell yeah man! I remember! :D
Yeah, all those lifts I mentioned are made right here in Madison. My boss, the owner of SuperATV, used to run that place before starting SuperATV. I think those mid-rise lifts are about perfect. Cheap, easy to use, and don't take up too much room.

CweFA7SD5ff1i54gEQO6oA35NYg nc htscontent ort2 2  nc ohc19szXGsx9cYAX8DJUgd nc htscontent ort2 2
 nc ohcm20kTeBXEtcAX9y0V0q nc htscontent ort2 2 nc ohcYMZdB3GFbuwAX9Xam1S nc htscontent ort2 2

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I’ve got a 4 post lift in one of our shops. It’s awesome.. but I haven’t decided on a suspension work setup for doing various equipment that would work well across the board. Are you just using a bottle jack(s) and then sliding the jack stands in on everything, or is there something else you’re doing I’m not seeing?
I use jacks and the included jack tray, works perfect for me for the limited use I use it. If I were doing strictly wheel, tire, brakes, suspension then a 2 post would work better but I use it for everything from oil changes to pulling engines/trans and everything in between and storage so it is ideal for me.

If you are going to use a 4 post daily and need to lift wheels, get the rolling air/hydraulic center jack fits your lift. Something like this...

J

JTW

I use jacks and the included jack tray, works perfect for me for the limited use I use it. If I were doing strictly wheel, tire, brakes, suspension then a 2 post would work better but I use it for everything from oil changes to pulling engines/trans and everything in between and storage so it is ideal for me.

If you are going to use a 4 post daily and need to lift wheels, get the rolling air/hydraulic center jack fits your lift. Something like this...

View attachment 213860
I’ve looked at those. I just want to find a deal on a couple

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!