Talon What paddles on stock rims

tim613

tim613

Dec 5, 2019
san diego
Ownership

1. Talon R
I plan on getting paddles put on the stock rims but recommendations you guys got since the front rim is pretty narrow. Thanks

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I plan on getting paddles put on the stock rims but recommendations you guys got since the front rim is pretty narrow. Thanks
15X6.5 rim might be a little tough. 15 inch paddles are hard enough to find and when you do, they are usually pretty big (like 32") and rob a lot of needed power in the sand so it might get expensive for you trying to make that work. You might try...

1. Finding some cheap takeoffs and put rear rims on the front, that way you can run something of a decent width up front too. Remember that running less than 10 psi on a non-beadlock wheel not recommended.
  2. Get 14" wheels and tires. Priced out, this might be cheaper as your selection will be greater and you can get beadlocks and run the sand tires around 5-7 psi like they are designed to.

tim613

tim613

Dec 5, 2019
san diego
Ownership

1. Talon R
15X6.5 rim might be a little tough. 15 inch paddles are hard enough to find and when you do, they are usually pretty big (like 32") and rob a lot of needed power in the sand so it might get expensive for you trying to make that work. You might try...

1. Finding some cheap takeoffs and put rear rims on the front, that way you can run something of a decent width up front too. Remember that running less than 10 psi on a non-beadlock wheel not recommended.
  2. Get 14" wheels and tires. Priced out, this might be cheaper as your selection will be greater and you can get beadlocks and run the sand tires around 5-7 psi like they are designed to.
So I wound up getting the ss360 tires, they are 32 inch but have less aggressive paddles on it so I’ll see how they do. If they don’t work out I’ll just get the 14’s and go for the smaller version.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I wound up getting the ss360 tires, they are 32 inch but have less aggressive paddles on it so I’ll see how they do. If they don’t work out I’ll just get the 14’s and go for the smaller version.
Interesting concept for a sand tire. Please let us know how they end up working out on a Talon.

Chieftain15

Chieftain15

Oct 5, 2019
Orange County, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm in the market for a sand set up as well with the OEM wheels and the SS360 intrigues me as well. My bigger issue is front tire width and being able to fit in my toy hauler. My Raceline 15" wheels with 30" KM3's barely fit so I've got to keep the tire width and that's a challenge. Right now I'm leaning towards CST Sandblast tires. The fronts on those have a 9.8" tire width.

tim613

tim613

Dec 5, 2019
san diego
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm in the market for a sand set up as well with the OEM wheels and the SS360 intrigues me as well. My bigger issue is front tire width and being able to fit in my toy hauler. My Raceline 15" wheels with 30" KM3's barely fit so I've got to keep the tire width and that's a challenge. Right now I'm leaning towards CST Sandblast tires. The fronts on those have a 9.8" tire width.

you ever try jacking up your front end and then strapping it together so the suspension won’t compress? I’m not sure about the rear though

Chieftain15

Chieftain15

Oct 5, 2019
Orange County, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R
you ever try jacking up your front end and then strapping it together so the suspension won’t compress? I’m not sure about the rear though
Nope. Haven't thought of that. Seems like a PITA though.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nope. Haven't thought of that. Seems like a PITA though.
Just out of curiosity, I went out the the garage and tried this to see if it would work. Took a cheap ratchet strap, hooked it to the lower control arms on both sides where the brace attaches (about 2/3 out on each control arm), lifted up on the bumper to unsettle the suspension, ratcheted, lifted, ratcheted, etc 4 time and to my amazement, it lifted the front end and narrowed it about 3 inches. Did it without a jack, took less than a minute. Had a lot of pressure on the strap so I would recommend something other than a cheap 1" strap.

I would not label this as a PITA at all.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Chieftain15

Chieftain15

Oct 5, 2019
Orange County, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just out of curiosity, I went out the the garage and tried this to see if it would work. Took a cheap ratchet strap, hooked it to the lower control arms on both sides where the brace attaches (about 2/3 out on each control arm), lifted up on the bumper to unsettle the suspension, ratcheted, lifted, ratcheted, etc 4 time and to my amazement, it lifted the front end and narrowed it about 3 inches. Did it without a jack, took less than a minute. Had a lot of pressure on the strap so I would recommend something other than a cheap 1" strap.

I would not label this as a PITA at all.
OK, fair enough. Let's just say it's something that probably wouldn't want to do. Especially sine my Talon lives in my toy hauler.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
OK, fair enough. Let's just say it's something that probably wouldn't want to do. Especially sine my Talon lives in my toy hauler.

you should really try driving it around some day.

It really is more fun than keeping it in the toyhauler. ;)

tim613

tim613

Dec 5, 2019
san diego
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got them in, will mount this week

CE80D177 91A4 42C9 835A C7B377D84741

tim613

tim613

Dec 5, 2019
san diego
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got them mounted but won’t be able to test until next year

91F756FC 7A7C 47E3 97DD 80EDE9E6958F

Chieftain15

Chieftain15

Oct 5, 2019
Orange County, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Now I'm thinking I may just do rear paddles on the stock rims and just try that first.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Got them mounted but won’t be able to test until next year

View attachment 172131
Those tires interest me. I'd like to try them in the snow. I read a review on them and they said they actually kept up better than they expected with true paddles in a drag race, but we're way more fun for carving dunes.

Did you get the 12" rears and 10" fronts? Or 10s all around?

tim613

tim613

Dec 5, 2019
san diego
Ownership

1. Talon R
Those tires interest me. I'd like to try them in the snow. I read a review on them and they said they actually kept up better than they expected with true paddles in a drag race, but we're way more fun for carving dunes.

Did you get the 12" rears and 10" fronts? Or 10s all around?
i got the 12 in the rear and 10 in the front, i think the 12 would look to big on the front

D

Darrick

Dec 28, 2019
Us
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm interested to see how these handle also, My worries are 1- that if you go with stock rims you have to get 32" tall and in the sand it may bog it down to much in higher gears. And 2-I read somewhere that its was to much paddle for a stock rzr1000. I know they are small paddles but there is a lot of them.

tim613

tim613

Dec 5, 2019
san diego
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm interested to see how these handle also, My worries are 1- that if you go with stock rims you have to get 32" tall and in the sand it may bog it down to much in higher gears. And 2-I read somewhere that its was to much paddle for a stock rzr1000. I know they are small paddles but there is a lot of them.

I’m using 32 inch km3’s right now on all 4 and there about 45lbs each with rim, I’ve done some sand hill climbs with those and was able to keep it in third gear MT all the way up. The ss360 tires are half the weight with the wheels, if any I’ll flip the front wheels around if it’s to aggressive in 4wd

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
i got the 12 in the rear and 10 in the front, i think the 12 would look to big on the front

Right, I was curious if you went 10" all around. I'd do 12" all around, but only in the snow, for sand only I'd do 10 in the front.

Well for sand only, like darrik said, going to 14s and 30s would probably be better. But I'm sure it'll be fine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!