BOX1

P500 What style of riding makes Walker Evans shocks worthwhile?

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
UHMW skids, a-arms guards, and rockers installed! Contemplating my next investment. This time in tires, wheels and shocks ... hopefully to gain some travel. Need to know if my pretty deliberate style in climbing tall mountains would benefit from Walker Evans. Do W/E shocks alone add lift/travel? Suggestions I've heard to date is they are worth the investment at higher speeds but that really doesn't describe my style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony21
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Can’t specifically speak for W Evans, I can say that stage 3 Elka shocks/springs made a significant change for the better, combined with Radial tires is the ticket. I went with Kenda HTRs in 27 by 11 by 12” on all corners with 5-2 offset rims, these combined with the Elkas made for a solid 2 gears quicker on most trails. The difference is expensive but in my case worth the cost. Really changed the machine for the better, I mostly ride forestry logging roads, old rough trails.
Cheers.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You won't get lift or extended travel. You can crank the preload on the springs, might get some out of it but just makes for a stiffer ride. I've also noticed that if you lift the front too much you'll start messing with the camber of the wheels, tops will tilt out. With all that said they're still awesome! It's more about the rebound, way better feel and control.
Got them for the front, had to talk a lot of sh** to the wife to justify the price. After the first ride she said I should get them for the rear. You know it's not placebo when they tell you it rides better.

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Can’t specifically speak for W Evans, I can say that stage 3 Elka shocks/springs made a significant change for the better, combined with Radial tires is the ticket. I went with Kenda HTRs in 27 by 11 by 12” on all corners with 5-2 offset rims, these combined with the Elkas made for a solid 2 gears quicker on most trails. The difference is expensive but in my case worth the cost. Really changed the machine for the better, I mostly ride forestry logging roads, old rough trails.
Cheers.
J,
Thanks for that ... describe "2 gears quicker" for me. I presume no spacers then on the 5-2's? Nice wide track on all 4 corners ... what psi?
G

Reactions: J80
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
J,
Thanks for that ... describe "2 gears quicker" for me. I presume no spacers then on the 5-2's? Nice wide track on all 4 corners ... what psi?
G
No spacers, just touches on compression (front fenders, as I have custom fender extender mud flaps). Typically run 6 psi front and 8 psi on the rear. About 54” wide as I recall.

The 2 gears quicker refers to: if on one of your known traveled trails you are in 1st gear, with above combo 2nd or 3rd gear is easily attainable..... significant improvement in ride and handling.
Cheers,
j

S

spartner

Oct 17, 2019
Spokane
Ownership

1. 500
I installed WE shocks on all 4 corners a few months ago. The main reason was that the stock shocks would bottom out from time to time and that is a tooth jaring experience. My main reason for switching to WEs was hoping to stop the occasional bottoming out. I am happy to report that the WEs have not yet bottomed out. That alone makes them worth it for me. And they are extremely easy and quick to install. Now, in addition to no more bottoming out on rough rides, the WEs make for a smother, more comfortable ride over all. I am very happy with them and think the change out was worth it.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Instead of how much faster can you ride. My question is how much longer can you ride before you feel like you can't take one more jolt. We rode for several hours this weekend and by the end it just wasn't fun anymore we just wanted to get off the trails and go home.

S

spartner

Oct 17, 2019
Spokane
Ownership

1. 500
I go riding with others when I get the chance to go on a ride, usually once or twice per month. Generally, it is in the mountains of Northern Idaho. Most of the rides rarely go above 30 MPH and are mostly 10 to 15 MPH. So, I don't usually go fast. Most of our rides are 4 to 5 hours long. I have never felt like I wanted the ride to end either before or after the WEs were installed. The WEs do make for a more stable feeling ride but the greatest improvement, from my prospective, is eliminating the jarring bottoming out that I used to get with the stock shocks on a really rough trail or the occasional whoops where I landed a little hard. A rough trail is still a rough trail even with the WEs. Some have discribed the ride with the WEs is like riding in a Cadillac. I think that is a bit of an exageration or they ride on a lot smother trails than I do.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Personally speaking, I'd have to experience them on a comparable P500 to mine before I'd pull the trigger on them. I'm not unhappy since removing the anti-sway bar and installing 27s (on 4+3 offset 12" wheels).

Great topic.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
How much longer you can ride will vary depending on the rider. Have done all day rides with both and have felt beat down with both depending on the trails ridden. The WE's definitely absorb the shock better than the stockers. Are they worth the hefty price? They were to me but so were a lot of expensive items I've added. Can't remember anyone saying they were not worth it though either.

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
How much longer you can ride will vary depending on the rider. Have done all day rides with both and have felt beat down with both depending on the trails ridden. The WE's definitely absorb the shock better than the stockers. Are they worth the hefty price? They were to me but so were a lot of expensive items I've added. Can't remember anyone saying they were not worth it though either.
I'm in a place where I think the stock shocks are fine and wonder if the WE's juice is worth the squeeze. If it is a ride-comfort thing exclusively ... I probably don't need/deserve it. If they provide even marginally better control and stability (in feel) then they would be worth it to me. I don't generally say at the end of a ride "that track beat me up". So safety, control, stability, now that I know that the shocks add no additional travel, would make the purchase worthwhile IMO. Smoothing out the tough trails for comfort ... probably just an added bonus.

If that is the case, would you all say the purchase more than met your goals for safety, control, stability (over the stock feel)?

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I recently bought shocks for my truck, in fact been waiting on the rears and they just showed up today. Replacing the stock Rancho's with Bilstein 5100's, supposed to be German engineered and really good shocks, we'll see. Anyway, found it ironic that I got all 4 for $364. Granted they're not coil overs or adjustable but they're for a 3/4 ton truck!

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I recently bought shocks for my truck, in fact been waiting on the rears and they just showed up today. Replacing the stock Rancho's with Bilstein 5100's, supposed to be German engineered and really good shocks, we'll see. Anyway, found it ironic that I got all 4 for $364. Granted they're not coil overs or adjustable but they're for a 3/4 ton truck!
and what does a set of WE's go for a 1000 lb p500?? :)

Reactions: trigger
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Screenshot 20210310 202315 Chrome

Off road riding of course.

Reactions: Red500 and trigger
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!