BOX1

Talon What to purchase

J

jcarr343

Oct 26, 2019
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am planning to make a sport UTV purchase soon and have it narrowed down to a few options. We live in the South East and I plan to do most of my riding out here on the trails. I also plan to make a trip out west every year to ride mountains and desert. I am new to this area and used to live in Minnesota where we rode Yamaha and amphibious vehicles.

Honda Talon - Still deciding between the X and the R, but leaning towards the R. This seems like a well built machine, but needs new tires and helper springs right away. I also took a very short test ride with the salmon, and the transmission engagement seemed a little jumpy. I really want to like this car, but I keep getting drawn to the others…

Polaris RZR Turbo S Velocity - The dealer has a new 2019 velocity that is about the same price as a Talon. This seems like a difficult deal to pass up. It is wider at 72”, so I have concerns about it fitting down some trails. I also worry about overall quality from stories on the internet, but the Turbo S units seems to be built stronger than the other XP models. The Velocity model will also need to have half doors and a roof added right away.

Kawasaki KRX1000 - I really like this unit, but it is brand new and seems overly big. Based on a visual inspection, this seems like the strongest machine on my list. It is also the most expensive with dealers selling them close to MSRP.

Anyone have some advice for me?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
If going Talon, I would recommend the R. I have the X and regret not getting the R. It seems to have much better suspension.

I am not a Polaris fan. If I was purchasing now, I think I would have a hard decision between the Talon and KRX. I purchased the Talon for 2 main reasons, Transmission and Hondas reputation for reliability. I probably would still lean toward honda but really like the KRX.

Might want to take into consideration on the KRX you get a lot of things typically purchased aftermarket, Beadlocks, carnivores, high clearance arms, etc.

Reactions: JTW
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Don't let the Talon test drive dissuade you. Because it is direct drive, you will need to learn how to drive it but that only takes a 100 miles or so. A new Talon is herky-jerky and this goes away after the clutches fully break in around 500 or so miles. The R crossovers can be adjusted to a fairly comfortable ride and after the springs settle in it gets even better. And if you put 30" or 32" tires on it, it is even better. The X has no crossovers so to get the best ride, you will need to install new springs AND crossovers.

68 (Talon R and KRX) vs 72 inches wide is not going to make that much difference. 64 (Talon X) to 72 might. I thought my R was HUGE when I first got it and some of the narrower trails worried me but now that I am used to the machine, I just blast through them.

The KRX is reported to be a bit of a dog. It is only a few HP more than the Talon and weighs 400 lbs more. It also has a Wet Centrifugal Clutch and a continuously tensioned belt. Although that setup is better on belts and is great for trail and rock crawling, it is not desired by some for a sport machine.

Comparing the Talon and KRX to a Turbo RZR (or Turbo anything for that matter) is not a fair comparison. 104/112 vs. 168 HP and only a few hundred pounds difference. These are 2 entirely different types of machines but the price on the RZR is most tantalizing and I see your delehma.

Personally, if I had that offer on the RZR when I was looking, I would have heavily considered it too. I probably would have still bought the Talon anyway because of my past experience and vowed to never buy a belted machine again :)

Just keep in mind...
Whatever you buy, you WILL have a good time.
Whatever you buy, you WILL spend more money on it.
Whatever you buy, it WILL have its downfalls/drawbacks/disappointments.
Whatever you buy, you can (and probably will) break it.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Don't let the Talon test drive dissuade you. Because it is direct drive, you will need to learn how to drive it but that only takes a 100 miles or so. A new Talon is herky-jerky and this goes away after the clutches fully break in around 500 or so miles. The R crossovers can be adjusted to a fairly comfortable ride and after the springs settle in it gets even better. And if you put 30" or 32" tires on it, it is even better. The X has no crossovers so to get the best ride, you will need to install new springs AND crossovers.

68 (Talon R and KRX) vs 72 inches wide is not going to make that much difference. 64 (Talon X) to 72 might. I thought my R was HUGE when I first got it and some of the narrower trails worried me but now that I am used to the machine, I just blast through them.

The KRX is reported to be a bit of a dog. It is only a few HP more than the Talon and weighs 400 lbs more. It also has a Wet Centrifugal Clutch and a continuously tensioned belt. Although that setup is better on belts and is great for trail and rock crawling, it is not desired by some for a sport machine.

Comparing the Talon and KRX to a Turbo RZR (or Turbo anything for that matter) is not a fair comparison. 104/112 vs. 168 HP and only a few hundred pounds difference. These are 2 entirely different types of machines but the price on the RZR is most tantalizing and I see your delehma.

Personally, if I had that offer on the RZR when I was looking, I would have heavily considered it too. I probably would have still bought the Talon anyway because of my past experience and vowed to never buy a belted machine again :)

Just keep in mind...
Whatever you buy, you WILL have a good time.
Whatever you buy, you WILL spend more money on it.
Whatever you buy, it WILL have its downfalls/drawbacks/disappointments.
Whatever you buy, you can (and probably will) break it.

most importantly.
The rzr will break minor things up to 1000 miles and bigger things every 200 after that. (Unfortunately true)

The talon will need a new shift cable at 10,000 miles.

Pick your poison.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
J

jcarr343

Oct 26, 2019
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
most importantly.
The rzr will break minor things up to 1000 miles and bigger things every 200 after that. (Unfortunately true)

The talon will need a new shift cable at 10,000 miles.

Pick your poison.

Seems like reliability is what everyone complains about with Polaris. I'm not sure I buy it...

R

rickoshea

very high horsepower with a lightweight chassis=inevitable breakage with a polaris.talon or krx with the turbo upgrade is the way i'd go if i really needed the horsepower.(i didn't) i looked at the krx a short time ago.that thing is a beast.liked the belt temp gauge.drove the talon x before i got the pioneer and the honda transmission sold me. perfect machines for my geography.wanted a sport but needed a utility.now that i have one i'm seriously considering adding a talon to the garage.

Reactions: TripleB
rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I assumed you have looked at the 2019 Yamaha YXZ1000 SS SE. If not, I would take a look at it. Like the Talon it does not have a belt and the specs are really similar to a Talon.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talon just needs to warm up for shifting to soften noticeably, the actual transmission is what sold me. The other brands that were droning at high RPM while just putting down the street at 25 MPH bugged me, it's nice to be able to downshift on long rides and quiet things down. Useful HP is partially dependent upon delivery method, the solid mechanical connection between motor & wheels gets power to the ground nicely, there're plenty of YouTube vids showing the Honda keeping up with machines rated with 25% - 50% more HP.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Seems like reliability is what everyone complains about with Polaris. I'm not sure I buy it...

i’ve owned a lot of Polaris machines. (Rzrs wheelers sleds)

reliability is dismal.

performance is great.

Reactions: TimG
Chieftain15

Chieftain15

Oct 5, 2019
Orange County, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R
You may wish to factor in your towing options. Which vehicle will fit your towing apparatus?

J

jcarr343

Oct 26, 2019
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the KRX is out. I am now between the Talon R and that Turbo S Velocity. Seems like I am getting so much more machine with that Polaris over the Talon, but its not worth it to me if I end up stranded in the woods.

Don't the turbo S models have a beefed up drivetrain, including wheel bearings?

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
I’ve owned several polaris rigs...great performance and average to below average build quality and durability if driven hard. (I have Honda power equipment and an atv...I drive an x3 though). I wouldn’t mind trying a talon r with the turbo...or the krx with a turbo:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J

jcarr343

Oct 26, 2019
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the KRX is out. It just feels way to big and slow. Plus it is the most expensive of the group.

It is now between the Talon R and Turbo S Velocity. They are the same price at my local dealer. Seems like the Polaris is in another league as far as performance goes, but quality may be an issue. Difficult decision for sure.

J

JTW

For me it would be between a talk’n and the Kawi... I just wouldn t buy a kawi right now because they’re so new. They need to work the bugs out first. The talon is based so much in the pioneer that they had a lot of the issues worked out. There are still a few but it’s much better...

So, the old Rzr debate... here’s the question you need to ask yourself. How long do you pan on keeping it. Be honest, are you the kind of guy that trades or a new rig every couple years or are you someone who buys something and has it for two decades? You hear so much about polaris because there are soooo many out there. There’s good and bad about them. But for me. Knowing I would have it for a while... I would either wait and see what came if the kawi or I would pull the trigger on a talon.

Reactions: dnjones161
J

jcarr343

Oct 26, 2019
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm still debating this in my head... The leftover 2019 Velocity is going to be lower cost after you consider a wheel/tire package on the Talon.
Going to try a test drive soon to make my final decision.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have never owned a Polaris but I can tell you this...

Just tore into my BIL's Polaris with 4500 miles on it (doing a big bore kit). So many other broken/worn out things that turned a simple upgrade into a week long job (now waiting for parts) and another $850 additional parts on top of the original intended work. Suspension, clutch, electrical, broken mounts, etc. I will NEVER own a Polaris now that I have worked on one in depth like this, everything is so flimsy it amazes me they make it up the trail and that Polaris is still in business. They remind me of all those "throw away" cars of the 70's and 80's. What a POS in my opinion.

If you plan on keeping the Polaris more than a couple years, it will suck you dry. Good luck!

J

jcarr343

Oct 26, 2019
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here is my pros/cons list for the RZR Velocity vs. Honda Talon decision.

Honda Talon 1000R

Pros:
DCT trans will not burn up belts
Fit and finish is very good
Seats are good
Honda reliability (based on Honda’s past)
Talon seems to be able to go everywhere the RZRs can based on YouTube
Being just under 70” will allow the Talon to fit on rental trailers

Cons:
Newer machine with many unknowns still
i4WD relies on a lot of sensors. Hopefully it holds up over time
Suspension is known to be harsh and needs an adjustment
Exhibits a lot of body roll in most videos I have seen
Some questionable rigidity decisions (single shear rear hubs)
Wheel and Tire package is too small
Aftermarket options still need some catching up
Turbo upgrade is very expensive

Option Parts Needed Soon:
Dual Rate Spring Kit: $650
Wheel/Tire Package: $1400
Harness: $250
Dual Shear kit: $150

Polaris Turbo S Velocity

Pros:
More powerful engine and better performance overall
CVT is cheap to fix and tune
Mechanical front diff seems superior to i4WD
Frame and suspension components looks much beefier
72” wide is more stable
Comes with 32” tires and 4 point harness already
Lots of aftermarket and group support
The Velocity I’m looking at comes with a metal roof and half windshield

Cons:
72” will not fit on most rental trailers. This will force me to buy and store something
CVT Belts
Suspension known to be harsh at lower speeds and sag a lot over time
Questionable Polaris quality (lots of stories about bearings and weak components)

Option Parts Needed Soon:
Dual Rate Spring Kit: $950
CVT Spare belt and toolkit: $300
Belt Temp Gauge: $250
Cost of Trailer: $1800
Trailer Storage: $90 per month

If I ride the Talon, will I always be dreaming about the turbo performance from that Velocity?
If I bring home a Polaris and something breaks, will be be kicking myself for not picking the “more reliable” machine?

Still struggling, but hope to make a purchase this week.

cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I assumed you have looked at the 2019 Yamaha YXZ1000 SS SE. If not, I would take a look at it. Like the Talon it does not have a belt and the specs are really similar to a Talon.

Agreed. I wish that we would have went with the YXZ1000R SS SE ourselves after I had the chance to test drive one. Just read some of the head to head tests and they always give the nod to the Yamaha.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
They can't keep wheel bearings, period. I've yet to put a wheel bearing in any Pioneer, and I once serviced a couple P1K that had over 6k miles a piece on them.

They don't start with a P.O and end with an S for no reason.

My buddy needs a right rear wheel bearing and some a-arm bushings on his P1k. Just a tick under 19K miles tho.

Sent from iPhone using minimal effort....

Reactions: TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!