P1000 What windshield?

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
About to pull the trigger on a 1000-5 and trying to decide what windshield to buy. Anyone have a feel for how well aftermarket windshields seal with a honda roof (or any that absolutely do not seal with factory roof)?

Leaning toward a hard coat tip out but want something where the top half tips out to a horizontal position. I think a half windshield would cover 99% of my riding but with afternoon storms in Colorado I think the wife would prefer the option of dropping a windshield for rain protection.

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Super ATV flip out is what I have. Also my buddy up in the Kansas City area has the same one with a factory Honda hard roof. I have the Honda soft top with rear panel and am very happy. I'm sure many more will chime in here too.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Superatv flip up has my vote. I tried honda oem full glass and It definitely seals great with the Honda hard roof but its just too hot 85% of the time here in Tennessee. I would go no windshield before I would go with something that didn't open up.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Can't go wrong with the flip. Definitely the most versatile. Hit me up if you decide to pull the trigger and I'll get you the member discount.

tenor.gif

T

turdbrownLE

Nov 8, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a spike vented windshield. I didn't pick it; it's what the dealer had and I was headed on a hunt right after the purchase. That being said, the vents let plenty of air thru when needed, and seal up well when closed. Bottom of windshield seals well to the hood, big gap at top between it and honda hard roof. I love how easy it comes on and off. Takes less than a minute to remove/attach without tools. Not sure it's worth spending that much more than the superatv, but it's a good product.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
About to pull the trigger on a 1000-5 and trying to decide what windshield to buy. Anyone have a feel for how well aftermarket windshields seal with a honda roof (or any that absolutely do not seal with factory roof)?

Leaning toward a hard coat tip out but want something where the top half tips out to a horizontal position. I think a half windshield would cover 99% of my riding but with afternoon storms in Colorado I think the wife would prefer the option of dropping a windshield for rain protection.
SATV flip up windshield gets my vote. Best of both worlds. And they can take a beating!!!

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I have the factory glass windshield and the SATV flip. The factory glass seals pretty good, will leak a little if you are in heavy rain running at speed, but makes the cab heat unbearable in the summer. The SATV is nice in the summer but will soak you in a heavy rain at speed due to the huge gap between the roof and top of windshield. Some people have used a pool noodle to seal the gap with some success. I haven't tried that yet.

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Just installed my super atv flip up a couple weeks ago. I went back and forth deciding to spend that much on a windshield or not. Very glad I did. This thing is quality! I have it full closed now but it’s going to be nice to just pop it open in the summer.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't go wrong with the flip. Definitely the most versatile. Hit me up if you decide to pull the trigger and I'll get you the member discount.

tenor.gif
Trigger pulled. Given the overwhelming SuperATV recommendation, how do I go about getting the member discount. I told the kids 45 degrees was going to be cold but they didn't believe me.

D

desertpossum

Jan 19, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Extremely disappointed with the superATV flip down. First ride out it got scratched to s*** and looks awful now. I got the scratch resistant one, when I messaged them, they said it is scratch resistant not scratch proof and that I should only use water and a microfiber cloth on it. It was raining hard, I had a regular bath towel with me and was wiping occasionally to be able to see. I wish I had gotten real glass. I was on a main dirt road, not even bushwhacking!

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Extremely disappointed with the superATV flip down. First ride out it got scratched to s*** and looks awful now. I got the scratch resistant one, when I messaged them, they said it is scratch resistant not scratch proof and that I should only use water and a microfiber cloth on it. It was raining hard, I had a regular bath towel with me and was wiping occasionally to be able to see. I wish I had gotten real glass. I was on a main dirt road, not even bushwhacking!

I'm not expecting much out of a "scratch resistant" windshield. A friend has one on his ranger and if you look at it wrong it scratches. That is the hope of a flip up - if it gets dusty I can kick it out of the way. Doubt I would have it down in anything except a rain storm. As soon as the rain stop flip it back up. Depending on how it goes over the summer look at adding a glass windshield for winter riding. I am going to need to be able to clean frozen water and mud while on a ride.

What would be really nice is a glass tip out but the only one I saw was down in New Zealand I think.

Reactions: Lady01 and Raynman
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I've had three different windshields, Started out with a Honda shortie got so scratched in three month you couldn't see through it very well and didn't deflect very wind well second one a Kolphin shortie very scratch resistant and deflects wind very well. This is my favorite wind shield if it's not raining or hailing and I still have it, it will go back on this Spring. The third one was purchased after a CO trip, Supper ATV flip out, it's good scratch resistant windshield, quality hardware, good in the rain and hail, but that's were the all the good things end for me, I ride in the tight woods, you can't ride with it flipped up here, you will rip off the flip up off, my other disappointments are wind deflection is poor with the windshield open, last but not least probably has a lot to do with my stature, short, when rock crawling I'm trying to look through two pieces of over lapped molded Plexiglas, It's hard to see through it. But in the rain and hail, it's the bomb!

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I assume running a light bar above the windshield wouldn't work with the flip up?, or are you guys mounting them off the roof?

Reactions: Lady01
Raynman

Raynman

Sudo Flotation device inspector
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2019
Thumb area, Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not expecting much out of a "scratch resistant" windshield. A friend has one on his ranger and if you look at it wrong it scratches. That is the hope of a flip up - if it gets dusty I can kick it out of the way. Doubt I would have it down in anything except a rain storm. As soon as the rain stop flip it back up. Depending on how it goes over the summer look at adding a glass windshield for winter riding. I am going to need to be able to clean frozen water and mud while on a ride.

What would be really nice is a glass tip out but the only one I saw was down in New Zealand I think.
I found this one, it looks like it opens at the bottom 2-6", then can flip all the way open, not cheep for sure!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
OLIVEIJE

OLIVEIJE

Feb 17, 2021
california
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't go wrong with the flip. Definitely the most versatile. Hit me up if you decide to pull the trigger and I'll get you th

tenor.gif
hey i am going to get my 2021 le this next week, i am gonna need this windshield too, discount still avaliable

Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just installed Alumilite glass windshield with full tip up option in place of the split Honda plastic. It definitely looks capable of 20mph casual cruising fully tipped up or full speed tipped out 3" at the bottom. Just got the wiper wired up yesterday. Pretty slick. Looking forward to being able to scrape off the frost or clean the mud off of the window with a rag. The downside is waiting 3-4 months for the windshield.

Reactions: Lady01 and Raynman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!